Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Stop talking football

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Stop talking football

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Anyone else annoyed with the amount of Football talk on Cleveland media outlets? Turned on All bets are off the other day and all people could talk about who called in were obsessed with talking about the Browns and the NFL, no mention of the Indians or Cavs. Today turned on KNR and the same thing, non stop Browns talk. We are far away from September, on the other hand, We are less than a month away from opening day and the Cavs(who are a half game out of the 8th playoff seed have the potentional to play Lebron and the Heat in the opening round of the playoffs). And yet, Clevelanders are still somehow stuck on the Browns. I know Cleveland is Browns town, and I could have just missed the calls about the Cavs and the Indians, but it just makes my head spin to hear what I am hearing and don't get me wrong I want the Browns to win just as much as any other person who has lived in the Cleveland area then and now, but to me the Cavs and Indians take priority right now and I just have to turn off the chatter. I beg all of you, lets focus on whats in front of us on the table and then address other things when it gets closer to the season(or the draft). One of two calls does not bother me, but when every caller wants to talk about the Browns or the NFL, it gets old real quick.
T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Re: Stop talking football

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Right or wrong, it's going to take another fast start by the Indians to capture Joe Fan's attention.

Second half of last season, followed by an off-season that disappointed most fans, followed by the Tigers sigining Fielder, followed by Sizemore's injury = March apathy.

Me personally, I can't wait for the season. Indians will need a lot of things to go right to win more games than Detroit, and also to win more than ChiW/Min/KC. But they have a far greater chance to go to the playoffs than Cleveland's other teams. This is also an immensely likable Indians team, from Acta down to the bench guys.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:46 pm

swerb wrote:Right or wrong, it's going to take another fast start by the Indians to capture Joe Fan's attention.

Second half of last season, followed by an off-season that disappointed most fans, followed by the Tigers sigining Fielder, followed by Sizemore's injury = March apathy.

Me personally, I can't wait for the season. Indians will need a lot of things to go right to win more games than Detroit, and also to win more than ChiW/Min/KC. But they have a far greater chance to go to the playoffs than Cleveland's other teams. This is also an immensely likable Indians team, from Acta down to the bench guys.

I agree with that, I still don't like it, but I agree with you. It doesn't help when the talking heads start following what the fans are doing.
T_N_T

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 pm

The amount of traffic or discussion something gets isn't necessarily related to its quality. Going just by these boards (and I assume something similar for talk radio), the Browns fail on RG3 is the biggest immediate story going around. Also, with the NFL Draft being the perennial highlight of the Browns' season, you'd expect to get a lot of buzz (positive or negative) at this time of year.

As for the Indians, a quiet spring training isn't necessarily that bad a thing. Unless you have something like a prospect phenom or a Japanese import to draw attention, the biggest news that comes out of spring usually has to do with injuries. On that front, the less news, the better (although the Indians have had their share with Sizemore and Perez). There aren't many position battles, and except for Hannahan vs. Chisenhall for starting 3B the competitions are not really that interesting. There's nothing much left for the fans to do but watch some March Madness until Opening Day.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Well, my prospect countdown will start in a couple hrs...you guys can argue with me about that for something Indians to talk about.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

What about the Cavs, who still have a shot at the playoffs? Its not likely, but more likely than the Browns winning anything anytime soon(If we continue on the current trend). Did Lebron really kill the Cavs fan spirit?
T_N_T

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Well, my prospect countdown will start in a couple hrs...you guys can argue with me about that for something Indians to talk about.

I'm going to take umbrage with every one of your picks and then call you names on the Twitter.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:17 pm

T_N_T wrote:What about the Cavs, who still have a shot at the playoffs? Its not likely, but more likely than the Browns winning anything anytime soon(If we continue on the current trend). Did Lebron really kill the Cavs fan spirit?

Well, yeah, kind of. Did you see what happened after he left?

Actually, there's a lot of talk about Irving who is exciting, and Thompson who is...less exciting. But mostly we arent getting excited about a possible Cavs playoff run because every win this season makes us worse in future seasons. suck, but it is what it is.

As far as the Tribe, I'm getting excited like Swerb is. I always talk. Myself into the Indians preseason and this year is no different. It's just that there really isn't a lot to say yet.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:31 pm

If they get off to a hot start, there's no reason why they can't finish 2nd or 3rd in the division.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
T_N_T wrote:What about the Cavs, who still have a shot at the playoffs? Its not likely, but more likely than the Browns winning anything anytime soon(If we continue on the current trend). Did Lebron really kill the Cavs fan spirit?

Well, yeah, kind of. Did you see what happened after he left?

Actually, there's a lot of talk about Irving who is exciting, and Thompson who is...less exciting. But mostly we arent getting excited about a possible Cavs playoff run because every win this season makes us worse in future seasons. suck, but it is what it is.

As far as the Tribe, I'm getting excited like Swerb is. I always talk. Myself into the Indians preseason and this year is no different. It's just that there really isn't a lot to say yet.

Yes, I saw what happened after he left and I know there isen't much to talk about yet with the Indians, but what I am saying is that when I watch Bruce D or Riz all they talk about is the Browns, it just gets annoying after a few minutes.

I also can't wait till the Indians season starts, I'm always like this before the start of the MLB season, I'm like a kid on Christmas day on opening day. I have been a huge fan of the Indians as far back as I can remember(I used to have this Joe Carter figurine when I was a kid), hence why I get like this when I feel like the Indians are being ignored.
T_N_T

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Well, my prospect countdown will start in a couple hrs...you guys can argue with me about that for something Indians to talk about.

I'm going to take umbrage with every one of your picks and then call you names on the Twitter.

Don't know what's worse...the fact that you're actually going to do this, or the fact that I'm kinda looking forward to it
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Just to clarify: The media shouldn't be talking about football, but you said in the other thread "how pointless/stupid spring training is, why can't we just scratch some of these games and start the regular season earlier? I also despise that the games are in an unofficial capacity".

Not meant to sound like a dick...but, to me, it sounds like they're doing what you'd want them to do - not talk about Spring Training because it's pointless.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby T_N_T » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Just to clarify: The media shouldn't be talking about football, but you said in the other thread "how pointless/stupid spring training is, why can't we just scratch some of these games and start the regular season earlier? I also despise that the games are in an unofficial capacity".

Not meant to sound like a dick...but, to me, it sounds like they're doing what you'd want them to do - not talk about Spring Training because it's pointless.

I know, I know. The point I was trying to make was that it seems like most everybody(with exceptions) are very lackadaisical in spring training. They seem to be going through the motions and not really caring what happens.Its not a good brand of Baseball(imo)get what I mean?
T_N_T

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 am

I think we're contenders right now. We just need something to bring it all together.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB