Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Official Tribe Spring Training Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Official Tribe Spring Training Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

David Huff leaves hurt after a fielding play, faces one hitter. Was his last impression for the 5th spot.

Slowey and Gomez both pitch tomorrow in their final tune up.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Help me out here...I would like to know what everyone thinks the opening day starting roster is going to be. I have seen about 4-5 ST games this year, thanks to MLB network. I am under the impression that Choo is clearly the 2nd best overall player on this team behind Droobs and that Santana has improved behind the dish (but he's no wiz still). Duncan's bat has been impressive (on tv anyway), but I am very nervous about giving this guy 400 AB's. Maybe he has hit his stride? I dunno...I am only a guy who gets to Cleveland once a summer and watches every game on Extra Innings. That said, here's my opening day lineup (not MINE, but what I think Acta will put out there) and would like some feedback. Cannot wait for season to start! Next to names are my PROJECTED stats.

1. Brantley, cf .267 avg. 10 HR 50 rbi .358 OBP (17 SB's)
2. Kipnis, 2b .261 avg. 15 HR 67 rbi .334 OBP
3. Cabrera, ss .305 avg. 18 HR 80 rbi .389 OBP (20 SB's)
4. Choo, rf .288 avg. 26 HR 94 rbi .353 OBP (19 SB)
5. Santana, c .255 avg. 30 HR 92 rbi .390 OBP
6. Hafner, dh .290 avg. 17 HR 68 rbi .404 OBP (plays in 102 games)
7. Kotchman, 1b .311 avg. 16 HR 80 rbi .397 OBP
8. Duncan, lf .239 avg. 15 HR 59 rbi .322 OBP (starts in roughly 2/3 games at 3 dfrnt pos.'s)
9. Hannahan, 3b .220 avg. 4 HR 30 rbi .308 OBP (traded in July for a cheap #5/Long Relief guy)

How off do these look^?

1. Masterson 16 wins, 8 losses, 3.24 ERA, 207 IP, 163 K
2. Jimenez 14 wins, 11 losses, 4.44 ERA, 179.2 IP, 160 K
3. Lowe 11 wins, 6 losses, 3.88 ERA, 130.2 IP, 108 K (DL'd at least once)
4. Tomlin 12 wins, 12 losses, 3.59 ERA, 194 IP, 118 K
5. Huff 4 wins, 8 losses, 5.22 ERA, 82.2 IP, 67 K (will be sent down, called up, moved to pen, etc)
* Roberto Hernandez Carmona 3 wins, 4 losses 4.70 ERA 55 IP, 39 K
* Jeanmar Gomez 6 wins, 3 losses 4.12 ERA, 90.1 IP, 76 K
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Didn't know Huff was hurt, either. I guess Gomez is the guy (or Slowey)? Gomez just still doesn't have it, but he wouldn't surprise me at all if he pulled a 2005 Cliff Lee-like season and become one of the better SP's in the rotation.

Just think if Roberto Hernandez hadn't been busted; Carlos Carrasco was healthy and pitching like he did in Yankee Stadium last June...we could use a guy like Gomez or even Herandez the faker, himself as some good trade bait. I had suggested a while back to trade Gomez for another stick and it was pooh-poohed because either a.) People thought he would get us NOTHING or b.) People still think he's got years to come around.

Huff is a poor man's John Ferrell. He's a 5 starter for a reason - battling to be one at that (with or without injury). He gets the run support we gave Masterson last year and he'll be 3-11 at the break.
TribeinLA

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I haven't seen Ubaldo pitch this spring, but I do not like what I have read and heard, although some still feel he's on his way back. Dan Plesac said he is the make or break of this team for the next 3 seasons -- not just this one. I was excited for the trade (hell, I think I was excited just to see us do something ballsy), but can tell you that both White and Pom will both be successful as I got to see both in college. White would be the 4th-5th starter on this year's team without Ubaldo and with Carmona...but if's and buts.

I think this is either our year or for those who remember 1987...yep. There's not going to be 80-82 in 2012. We either win 90 or lose 90...just a gut feeling. Masterson being the ace over Ubaldo is a concern to me. Not that Justin doesn't deserve the spot and is lacking of good quality stuff, but he's basically a 2nd year player (maybe 3rd) even though he's been in the league longer. I just hope MASTERSON is all that and doesn't set us up for disappointment. To my point, Ubaldo was an "ace" trade. It was arguably the biggest starter we had gone after since El Presidente and Bulldog (tough to count Millwood because he was a 1year man). The fact that he's in Carmona's old spot tells me we have nothing but a lack of confidence and we're holding our breath. I mean, really...who knows what Ubaldo is going to do, but his loss of velocity and his horrible-looking motion make me think that radinsky and Acta are going to use ANOTHER year of building up players instead of havbing the "this is the team we will win with" mentality. I am hoping, as noted, spring was just a chance to showcase some new pitches for him, but Ubaldo throwing 80 damn pitches in barely 4 innings? Spring? Yikes!

I am rooting for Canzler. I like his stroke and his look, but I am a little unsure of his outfield abilities. Then again, I do not know him that well. Sloth is going to have to be laundered throughout the lineup on a nightly situational basis. He's not Albert Belle, so no waaaay do we put this guy in lf every night.

My questions to some of you in the know: Who will be the 5 OF's we take into opening day. I saw Fred Lewis play a bit and was not really impressed...nor is anyone I guess. Pie? I dunno...dude is still just 27 years old and has been in the league for a decade if you count minor leagues. He's fleet-footed. Can he be reliable part-time starter? Also, what about Aaron? Is he ready? Didn't he have about 2 AB's in Oakland last year? I may be wrong. Finally, Zeke? Where is he and I find it odd that we have Brantley, Zeke, and Felix all playing cf in some order. Do we REALLY need two speed backups for Brantley? Maybe this is shy Canzler has a shot after all. Hell, Choo's already fast...

If I had to give this team a theme, and it's a dangerous one at that, it would be "Defense for grounders wins Championships". Almost every starter is a GB pitcher. Hannahan having 3rd all to himself is certainly a product of that theme. Is Jose going to stick around and play 3rd? Donald? I saw the interview Chiz gave to STO and he even said he was disappointed at his play, but damn...thought Hannahan had back issues and he's also 32-33. I just don't know about that one.

Kotchman is a guy I want to see have his best year. I recall when Garko had his best year and it really helped fill offensive holes of Dellucci, Michaels, Trot, and Barfield. I am thinking no way that Kotchman could do worse than Garko, so I look for him to be a very key piece in the lineup. GREAT news that he won't be platooning with La Porta. I say let his guy man first and leave the platoon shit in left field only. Going into game one, Kotchman is the guy I think is going to be our swing player. Can Pronk stay healthy enough to play 100-110 games? And hit .275> while drawing 100 walks and hit at least 15 out? If so, I really think we're going to be dangerous. Sloth needs to pick up some power, too. From what I saw, Choo looks GREAT. Let's hope no DL for him.

And finally, Jeez...seems like Sizemore was a guy who played in the ancient era. I do not even think of him anymore when analyzing the outfield. What chances does he have of making it back to Cleveland by the break? What a bust!

I am pumped, yet nervous...my hope is that we hang with Detroit and maybe we can get a WC. Ubaldo, Pronk, Masterson staying true to form of '11, Kotchman, and Hannahan's offense are the questions that I feel will make/break us.
TribeinLA

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Ubaldo hits Tulo in the back in his 1st AB today. Benches clear.

Not sure how to feel about it. Guess I like that he's settling his own score.

Also, being reported that Tribe and Asdrubal Cabrera close to 2 yr 16.5M extension.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby idoctribefan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Ubaldo hits Tulo in the back in his 1st AB today. Benches clear.

Not sure how to feel about it. Guess I like that he's settling his own score.

With the way the Rockies handled Ubaldo's start on the day of the trade last year (forcing him to go out and pitch even though they knew he was gone), the Rockies deserved to have their franchise player get plunked. Only way it could've been better is if Jim Tracy or the GM were in the box taking the beanball.

Way to go, Ubaldo!
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Just watched the clip of Ubaldo plunking him. Then Ubaldo charges the plate! Gotta say I liked it. This team has lacked some testosterone for some time now.

In an interview, he also refered to Cleveland as 'heaven' compared to the environment he was in with the Rockies.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:Just watched the clip of Ubaldo plunking him. Then Ubaldo charges the plate! Gotta say I liked it. This team has lacked some testosterone for some time now.

In an interview, he also refered to Cleveland as 'heaven' compared to the environment he was in with the Rockies.

That's nice and all, but I'd prefer he was soft-spoken, fair haired pud licker who threw 98mph and hated it here.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:Just watched the clip of Ubaldo plunking him. Then Ubaldo charges the plate! Gotta say I liked it. This team has lacked some testosterone for some time now.

That's nice and all, but I'd prefer he was soft-spoken, fair haired pud licker who threw 98mph and hated it here.

Testoterone doesn't win you shit.

Getting guys out does.

Much rather see a few clips of Ubaldo doing that. Although they are about as rare as him taking a cheap shot at an ex mate.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB