Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Jason Davis DFAed, Mujica called up

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Jason Davis DFAed, Mujica called up

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 11:30 am

Yes!

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/0 ... ignat.html

Westbrook on DL; Davis designated for assignment
Posted by Paul Hoynes May 07, 2007 10:49AM

BALTIMORE -- The Indians, as expected, activated Fausto Carmona and placed Jake Westbrook on the disabled list so Carmona could start against the Orioles today.

What was unexpected was reliever Jason Davis being designated for assignment and and reliever Edward Mujica being recalled from Class AAA Buffalo.

Mujica, 22, was 0-0 with six saves and a 2.84 ERA in 11 appearances in Buffalo. He had 14 strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings.

Davis has spent parts of the last six years with the Indians. The converted starter had 4.76 ERA in eight appearances with the Tribe this season. Friday night, in his last appearance for the Indians, he walked consecutive batters with the bases loaded in the second inning in relief of Jeremy Sowers. Davis had nine walks and five strikeouts in 11 1/3 innings.

The Indians have 10 days to trade, release or put Davis on waivers.
Last edited by consigliere on Mon May 07, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby CLEfan86 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:38 am

Finally Davis gone. We'll see if there's still any interest in him.
CLEfan86

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 07, 2007 11:40 am

Looks like the Tribe FO is reading my weekly column. ;)

Perez is much better to keep as the long reliever and I'd like to get rid of Oldberto as well for Mujica to stay up here. I'd guess that we'll eventually need to recall another RHed bat in the likes of Francisco.

I wonder if anyone will trade for Davis or will they just wait for him to it waivers. I'd imagine the D-Rays would be willing to try him out and they have some decent players on the low-end they might be willing to offer in return.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 07, 2007 11:47 am

So long jackass. Maybe you can go suck in a different uniform. I hope someone takes him, he's worthless to Buffalo too.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 12:09 pm

When he came in and walked the first two guys he faced when relieving Sowers on Saturday, I guess Wedge lost it. I don't blame him either. He came in the game Westbrook got hurt and we needed a good 2-3 innings from him at least and he was awful and pitched 1/3 of an inning walking guys. He sealed his own fate.

Now, the possibility exists he'll go somewhere else and perform well, maybe in a return to the starting rotation.....but the dude had more than enough chances here.
consigliere

Unread postby dmcdougal » Mon May 07, 2007 12:11 pm

why is everyone so hateful of Jason Davis? Sure, I thought he was a horrible pitcher and that Cleveland shouldn't have brought him into this season (we basically chose him over Guthrie), but come on it's not like Wedge ever gave the guy a fair shake. He had some solid outings for the Tribe. I used to pitch... believe me, nothing is harder than coming out and being expected to get outs when you pitch so sparingly.
dmcdougal

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 07, 2007 12:17 pm

dmcdougal wrote:why is everyone so hateful of Jason Davis? Sure, I thought he was a horrible pitcher and that Cleveland shouldn't have brought him into this season (we basically chose him over Guthrie), but come on it's not like Wedge ever gave the guy a fair shake. He had some solid outings for the Tribe. I used to pitch... believe me, nothing is harder than coming out and being expected to get outs when you pitch so sparingly.

There's a reason why he was used so sparingly: past history. He's had plenty of chances because his stuff is good. Unfortunately his control is inconsistent. If Davis had been competent in relief this past Wednesday then the bullpen would not have been stretched so thin and the game likely would not have gone into extra innings. He just couldn't get many strikes over the plate. He was better at throwing strikes on Saturday but still managed to average at least two men on per inning.

What good is a pitcher if he can't throw strikes or he gives up too many scoring opportunities?

Maybe someone will be able to figure him out. The Tribe certainly has not been able too. With consistency I think he could be a decent starter but he's never shown the ability to be consistent. He can look brilliant one inning and then fall apart the next.

I feel much more comfortable with Perez pitching long relief stints.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 12:18 pm

dmcdougal wrote:why is everyone so hateful of Jason Davis? Sure, I thought he was a horrible pitcher and that Cleveland shouldn't have brought him into this season (we basically chose him over Guthrie), but come on it's not like Wedge ever gave the guy a fair shake. He had some solid outings for the Tribe. I used to pitch... believe me, nothing is harder than coming out and being expected to get outs when you pitch so sparingly.

He got more than a fair shake. He should have been cut two years ago.

He has tons of talent, his stuff is sick, but just can't pitch consistently and lacks a lot between the ears.
consigliere

Unread postby dmcdougal » Mon May 07, 2007 12:24 pm

I disagree. He got some occasional starts as a fill-in for an injury or he would come in during the long relief. I agree that he should have been cut, don't get me wrong, but I disagree with everyone hating on him. I hope that he pitches well somewhere because his stuff is so sick. A change of scenery helps for a lot of people (i.e. Brandon Philips).

I just want to emphasize how difficult it is to pitch once every 2 weeks and be expected to have your A game every time. People say it's harder being a pinch-hitter but there's no way. Anyway, it's good news for the tribe that we released him.
dmcdougal

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Apparently, there is news the A's may have claimed him.

Also, JD did get several chances. He has a decent rookie campaign in 2003, and they stuck with him as a starter much longer than needed in 2004 when he clearly struggled. 2005 he was just our 6th starter, and wasn't afforded much of a chance because the pitching staff was healthy and very productive.

Last year, he got SEVERAL chances as an integral piece in the bullpen, and flat out stunk. He went something like letting the first 14 inherited runners score.....and after that awful display was yanked from late inning or close contests. He later got a few chances as a closer when we were desparate for one.

Time to just wipe the hands clean of him.....I hope he does well in Oakland....but I am much more excited seeing one of Mujica or Perez in his spot (or keeping Mastny here when/if Miller is soon activated).
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 07, 2007 12:36 pm

I don't hate Jason Davis. I just know what he has been for the Tribe.

I wish him the best and hope he can put it together somewhere else (outside of the division). He's got the stuff, maybe someone can figure out how he can get the control he needs.

My problem is with the Tribe FO keeping him going into the season. I'd rather have used his spot for someone else that is deserving of a shot. Now that problem has been addressed. Davis can move on and so can the Tribe.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 07, 2007 12:37 pm

If the A's claimed him then did we put him on waivers after we DFAed him? Can we work out a trade or is he on outright waivers?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:If the A's claimed him then did we put him on waivers after we DFAed him? Can we work out a trade or is he on outright waivers?

If he in fact is already in Oakland, we completed a trade with them. The DFA just opens a roster spot and give us 10 days to release/trade him or outright him to the minors if he clears waivers.
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 07, 2007 12:58 pm

I know it's OT, but why did we place Westbrook on the DL retroactive to May 3?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dmcdougal » Mon May 07, 2007 1:02 pm

Wasn't that when his last start was?
dmcdougal

Unread postby consigliere » Mon May 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I know it's OT, but why did we place Westbrook on the DL retroactive to May 3?

Unsure....but probably has something to do with getting Carmona back up before the mandatory 10 days were up. Carmona couldn't come back up until May 11th since he was optioned out on May 10th, but with Westbrook's injury he is allowed to be recalled.
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 07, 2007 1:09 pm

It still doesn't make sense to me. If it's an injury, Carmona could come up regardless if he went on the DL today or last Thursday.

Is it so he can go back on the 15-day on May 18, since he won't be ready, as opposed to May 22 where he might not need 15 more days?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dmcdougal » Mon May 07, 2007 1:17 pm

It's just a common move in baseball done by teams that aren't sure how long the player will be out. They don't want to put them on the disabled list right away in case it's not as severe as they expected, so they hold on to find a good diagnosis and then place them on the disabled list retroactively to the day that they were injured.
dmcdougal

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 07, 2007 1:20 pm

dmcdougal wrote:It's just a common move in baseball done by teams that aren't sure how long the player will be out. They don't want to put them on the disabled list right away in case it's not as severe as they expected, so they hold on to find a good diagnosis and then place them on the disabled list retroactively to the day that they were injured.

I understand that, but he won't be ready on May 18 (or May 22 for that matter). So why do it retroactively?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dmcdougal » Mon May 07, 2007 1:22 pm

I think it's just the way things are done. by all teams
dmcdougal

Unread postby BruceK » Mon May 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Also, if it's done retroactively and then has some miracle recovery (flies to Lourdes, goes on the Ernest Angley show, something like that) then its possible to come off the DL earlier, too.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Has anyone heard any rumors on JD? Any idea what (besides a plane ticket) the Tribe will get in return??

After a week, I figured there might be couple or rumors out there.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby pup » Sun May 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Traded to Seattle for PTBNL.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB