Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Jared Goedert

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Jared Goedert

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri May 04, 2007 8:44 am

Do we have a phonetic spelling on this kid's last name yet?

Is it JO-dirt, like the dreadful David Spade movie?

Or is it GO-dirt, like those little packets of yogurt that my wife takes to work (Go-Gurts, I believe are their name)?

Can I get a ruling on this...Consig?
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 9:10 am

Not sure, although I am pretty certain it is GO-dirt. I just always assumed it was Go-dirt, and never thought of the G sounding like a J. I asked someone about it and hopefully hear back soon.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri May 04, 2007 11:12 am

Jared Goedert....reminds me of Jody Gerut. (Who, for the longest time until I heard his name said on air, thought was pronounced Ger-oot.)

All that matters is that he can hit.

(Yes, that was a thinly veiled recommendation for bb-ref, which now has up to date organizational stats for 2007. Nice.)

Question for Consig: looking at the Lake County numbers...who is Nick Weglarz? I saw the name in your article, but didn't know that he was 19.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 11:59 am

Wow, thanks for the mention on b-ref Jumbo. Didn't know about that.

Also, on Weglarz:

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... hp?id=1567

Nick Weglarz - Outfield
Age: 19 Height: 6'3" Weight: 215 Bats: Left Throws: Left

Weglarz is one of the best power prospects to come out of Canada in some time. His size combined with his raw power have often had him compared to fellow countryman Justin Morneau. He has some flaws in his swing that need to be tinkered along the way, but his long arms and good bat speed generate tremendous power. Weglarz also has experience at first base, which is a position he may be more suited to play in the long run because he is a below average runner and lacks much athleticism. In his pro debut in 2005 at rookie level Burlington, at 17 years of age Weglarz held up well and hit .231 with 2 HRs and 13 RBIs in 141 at bats. Last season he started with the Indians new minor league affiliate in the rookie level Gulf Coast League (GCL), but played only one game and totaled just two at bats as he was sidelined for virtually the entire season with a broken hand.
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Jumbo wrote:All that matters is that he can hit.

That 1.330 OPS is nasty. I'm loving the 15/22 K/BB ratio out of a guy with that kind of pop. Is he a right handed stick?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah, he is righthanded.

I have a Q&A with John Sickels that is done, and he talks about Goedert a little. THe Q&A is going up next Mon or Tues, and in addition to Goedert he offers up some great stuff on prospect analysis and other players.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Get this. We are all wrong.

It is pronounced GE-DIRT (soft e).
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Wow.

Two more home runs today. Now up to 13 HRs on the season in basically 5 weeks. He leads ALL the minors in home runs.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 27, 2007 9:53 am

Saw on Rotoworld this morning that Goedert played 2B last night.

And oh yeah .... went yard again.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun May 27, 2007 5:15 pm

He has been playing second all week, I guess to give him some options at Kinston.

If he can become a major league 2nd baseman with 30+ HR power, a .300+ BA, 120+ RBIs and 100+ walks, he may have some value. Right now, he has me wondering how Baseball America completely missed him in their evaluation of 2006 Tribe draft skills. He isn't even mentioned as having plus power, but Robbie Alcombrack was.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Sun May 27, 2007 11:16 pm

Swerb wrote:Saw on Rotoworld this morning that Goedert played 2B last night.

And oh yeah .... went yard again.

You must not be reading my reports....I mentioned this in the last report. :-) :smile: :)
consigliere

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon May 28, 2007 8:55 am

ArtGold wrote:If he can become a major league 2nd baseman with 30+ HR power, a .300+ BA, 120+ RBIs and 100+ walks, he may have some value.

I guess if putting up numbers that would make you the second-best second baseman of all time would give you value, then yeah... :-) :smile: :)

Quick trivia question: Robby Alomar hit .300 for his career, but how many seasons did he have that matched one of the other numbers above? Answer: One. 120 RBI in 1999. (Alternatively, Jeff Kent put up those kinds of power numbers, but only hit .300 twice and walked at an average rate.)

He needs to move up to see what he can do in Kinston. He's slightly old for Lake County, but that's just what happens for guys drafted out of college - they get later starts. Ryan Garko didn't really get started until he was 23 in Kinston...but then he moved up two levels in a year. Kevin Kouzmanoff was 23 in Lake County and he's made it to the majors.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Goedert

Unread postby ArtGold » Mon May 28, 2007 3:49 pm

He has been promoted to Kinston as of this morning. It is expected he will play second base. He will be replaced on the Lake County roster by Niuman Romero, who was hitting .350 in 40 ABs with Kinston, but with no power.

Last season, Romero played at Lake County and hit .228, and slugged .274. I don't know if I would call that "slugged" but it is what it is.
ArtGold

Performance

Unread postby ArtGold » Mon May 28, 2007 3:59 pm

It will be interesting to see what Goedert does at Kinston. If he tanks, then you know that we were probably looking at a Mulhern phenomena. If he continues to hit well, then we might have to start looking at how he fits into the overall Tribe picture.

Remember, Pujols and Thome were 13th round draft picks, Piazza was picked in the 62nd round while Jeff Kent was a 20th rounder. Sometimes these great hitters come where least expected.
ArtGold

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks for the update Art.

Assuming he pans out (which assumes a lot), it will be interesting how fast he continues to progress through the rest of the system.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 29, 2007 10:45 am

One caveat with Goedert moving to Kinston is he is going into a very friendly pitcher's league. So, it will be interesting to see how he performs. Anyone have any of the minor league park factors? I'd look it up but am very busy today (and lazy).
consigliere

Minor League Park Factors

Unread postby ArtGold » Tue May 29, 2007 11:00 am

Source is 2007 BPro, Clay Davenport 2006 Park Factors

Lake County is 1032, Kinston is 982.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 29, 2007 11:40 am

Grazi...

Will be interesting to see how JG fares in the Carolina League.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:10 am

He seems to have overcome what I assume were his initial jitters and had two hits and a walk today, on top of a hit and two walks yesterday.

This is very significant in my point of view, he is starting to show another ability, the talent to pull out of batting tailspins. This is an encouraging sign, and my opinion of him as having major league star potential is starting to grow. He showed real abilities at Lake, but many die at Kinston which is more pitcher friendly. But...this is unfolding rather well.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 am

I'm very interested in seeing how Goedert finishes the season. Also, I have yet to hear or read anything on how the position switch to 2B is going, and if it will be considered as a permanent move. Lord knows we have a severe lack of talent at 2B in the system, so it may pave the way for him to be fast-tracked to the majors if he continues to hit.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:02 am

It is pretty funny, tonight Goedert and Hodges played at Kinston, but neither at 3rd base. Instead, they had De La Cruz.

Goedert 3 for 5, guess he got past his initial Carolina League jitters. Now to see if the power comes with the confidence.
ArtGold

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:24 am

Consigliere wrote:Lord knows we have a severe lack of talent at 2B in the system, so it may pave the way for him to be fast-tracked to the majors if he continues to hit.

Uh, what about Josh Barfield? I was assuming he'll be our second baseman for the next five years at least. It's not like we have Inglett and Rouse platooning there or something.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:35 am

Pros, I'm simply talking minors. Yeah, Barfield looks to be the 2B in Cleveland for the considerable future, but you still need depth at the postion....which we don't have in the system. If Goedert can stick there, he greatly helps at 2B. Plus, his versatility to play 3B, 2B and possibly 1B could make him valuable to this team if he continues to produce.
consigliere

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:07 am

i can see the indians taking a middle infielder with their second pick (i thinks 3 or 4th round).
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:21 am

I think you may see a heavy influence of high school pitchers and position players taken by the Indians in the Top 15 rounds in this draft. Have a feeling they are going to go for young players with high risk, high reward potential. Especially since they have so many players in the system drafted last year out of college.

The Indians have not faired well with 1st round picks in the 2000s. They bulk of their success with the draft has been in the later rounds, like 3-10. It would be nice though to hit on one of those first rounders for once. The jury is still out on some recent #1 guys, but overall, they have not done a good job with that first round pick the last 7-8 years.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:28 am

Hope your right, I have been espousing high risk and potential reward for the past year. I hope we also get some signability drops in the 5-8 round range, and spend the money to sign them.

As you know, I'm still upset about Lincecum and Satterwhite.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:55 am

Hard to really be upset about Lincecum though. They took a flier on him, and they were not about to give him $1-2M as a 40-some round pick.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB