Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Lee's pitching approach vs. Jake

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Lee's pitching approach vs. Jake

Unread postby Charboneau » Thu May 03, 2007 8:48 pm

I am really impressed with Lee in his first start back. I like the way he goes after hitters. He gets up in the count he may waste a pitch - but then comes right back and challenges. He also works a nice pace. While I think Jake does a good job of getting the ball back and making a delivery - his pace is off because he nibbles too much. Every batter it seems he is looking to make the perfect pitch on every pitch. Seems he gets up 1-2 or 0-2 then nibbles himself into a full count. I hope Cliff can rub off on Jake.

Challenge someone. I love watching Lee pitch.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2007 8:52 pm

That's just not Jake's style. Lee can get away with his fastball being elevated, whereas Jake can't. Westbrook pitches to contact because he throws a sound sinker, not a power sinker. As a groundball pitcher, it's expected to pitch to contact, whereas Lee, a predominantly flyball pitcher, has to get some strikeouts.

Lee also has better slow breaking stuff than Westbrook and can keep hitters off balance more.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Charboneau » Thu May 03, 2007 8:57 pm

While you make some valid points - it's hard to pitch to contact when you are staying off the plate. I think it's more of an approach thing - Jake is trying to be too fine right now in my opinion - he getting worked deep in the count by even mediorce hitters. throw the sinker - I agree - just don't be afraid to throw it for a strike when it's 1-2.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Charboneau wrote:While you make some valid points - it's hard to pitch to contact when you are staying off the plate. I think it's more of an approach thing - Jake is trying to be too fine right now in my opinion - he getting worked deep in the count by even mediorce hitters. throw the sinker - I agree - just don't be afraid to throw it for a strike when it's 1-2.

His injury may have been a little nagging too.

I agree with you on most accounts though. He is trying to be too fine. He also hasn't felt his sinker pretty much all year and felt that he had to throw his other pitches perfect or he wasn't going to get people out. I think it was more of a psychological thing for Jake.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Charboneau » Thu May 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Jake is a good one - I like him. I thought he got screwed in his first start against the CWS - lots of close pitches he didn't get the call. It was tough to tell last night because to your point he was hurt and wasn't in long. It just appears to me he is trying to be so fine with his pitches he works himself into jams. I'll give Jake credit - he's not afraid to work a count full because he does it a bunch.

Now - it's Oldberto time! Woo Hoo
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby tribetalk » Thu May 03, 2007 9:27 pm

For a guy coming off the DL and making his first start of the season; I think he did a good job as well. He never seem rattled and kept up going after the hitters.

I'm expecting yet another solid year for Lee in 2007!
GO TRIBE!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB