Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Roster moves 5/3

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Roster moves 5/3

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Announced on MLB.com: Lee and Perez up, Choo AND Francisco down. (I expect so yo-yo action once the bullpen recovers.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby pup » Thu May 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Hopefully Wedge does not get too confused with the option of a second lefty in the pen!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Fired up to have a second lefty .... also excited to see Raffie get another cup o' joe.

Really, how much worse can Raffie and Mujica be than Fultz and Oldberto?

Chances are good we'll get to see Perez tonight.

This potentially leave us shorthanded in the OF if say, Delooch were to reaggravate whatever the hell was aggravating him? Not being able to go get Choo or BFran for a week and a half?

I guess we could always move Blake to the OF, and Mighty Rouse to 3b in that event.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Perez has been starting in Buffalo so he can go some extended innings if need be. Not surprised with any of today's moved, though I'd have rather seen Stanford get a chance to come back to the bigs.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:06 pm

While I also like Stanford, it seems the Tribe only looks upon him as a starter.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 03, 2007 5:08 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:... though I'd have rather seen Stanford get a chance to come back to the bigs.

Stanford's not on the 40-man. They're not going to do anything to muck up the 40 unless there's a really big problem: I think they see this as a real short-term gap to fill.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby neoleo » Thu May 03, 2007 5:31 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:... though I'd have rather seen Stanford get a chance to come back to the bigs.

Stanford's not on the 40-man. They're not going to do anything to muck up the 40 unless there's a really big problem: I think they see this as a real short-term gap to fill.

I originally figured Perez would only be here a couple of days to help since the bullpen is blown right now, but with Choo and Fransicso going down, don't they have to stay 10 days? (I'll get the hang of this rule sooner or later). If Westbrook goes on the DL, that would allow Carmona the chance to come right back up (See, I have that part down), but what would we do to get the OF's back? Does the Westrbook injury factor into the "emergency" part of the rule that would allow Fransisco to be recalled before the 10 days (since they used up the whole bully because of the injury)? Maybe Fransisco just gets the tough luck in this one and Gutierrez gets the call up instead after Perez uses up his innings today or tomorrow.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Andouble » Thu May 03, 2007 5:35 pm

We could call up Gutierrez if we're hurting for another OF'er.
Andouble

Unread postby neoleo » Thu May 03, 2007 5:37 pm

On 2nd thought, when is Marte scheduled to come off the DL? I supposed we could just go shorthanded on the bench for a few days and have Marte replace Perez on the roster to give us our RH bat that we'll be missing.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 03, 2007 6:58 pm

If Jake goes on the DL, I bring up Adam Miller for a couple starts if I'm the Tribe.

This is a good way to get the kid a taste of the bigs, and you don't have to jerk with Carmona's head and bring him right back up after driving to Buffalo for a start.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 03, 2007 7:00 pm

it'd be jerking with his head too if you keep him down their and bring up his biggest competition after he pitched two great outings in a row.
dmcdougal

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 03, 2007 7:14 pm

dmcdougal wrote:it'd be jerking with his head too if you keep him down their and bring up his biggest competition after he pitched two great outings in a row.

Never thought about it that way McDoog. Good point.

(I'm biased. I have Miller as a keeper for $3 in my main fantasy baseball league. I'm jonsin' to see this kid hurl at the big league level.)
Last edited by swerb on Thu May 03, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu May 03, 2007 7:38 pm

Even if Stanford were on the 40-man, it was Perez's turn in the rotation tonight. Stanford started on Tuesday night, so he's not really rested enough for long relief. Perez last pitched on Saturday.

Stanford will be an option if they DFA Davis, creating another spot on the 40-man. They may not see him exclusively as a starter. I know that I would be toying with the idea of making him the long reliever and spot starter because of his experience.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Swerb wrote:If Jake goes on the DL, I bring up Adam Miller for a couple starts if I'm the Tribe.

This is a good way to get the kid a taste of the bigs, and you don't have to jerk with Carmona's head and bring him right back up after driving to Buffalo for a start.

I offered this and got told no. I think it's a great idea.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby pup » Thu May 03, 2007 8:18 pm

You can't bring Miller up. The first problem is, what if he dominates? I know it sounds kind of stupid, but you don't want this guy throwing 180 big league innings this year. If he comes up here and and pitches the way he can pitch, how do you send him back out?

The opposite is an issue as well. What if he gets ripped? Then you have an entire wasted year of his development. Let him continue to wrok at AAA, build up the stamina and secondary pitches and we will see him soon enough.

The most important reason is service time. We all know the Indians budget concerns. The sooner you bring him up, the sooner he is arby ready, the sooner he is a FA.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 pm

Pup wrote:You can't bring Miller up. The first problem is, what if he dominates? I know it sounds kind of stupid, but you don't want this guy throwing 180 big league innings this year. If he comes up here and and pitches the way he can pitch, how do you send him back out?

Westbrook will probably be back by mid-June, early July barring this being a more severe injury than a strained oblique. Does it still count as an option year if its an emergency call up?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby pup » Thu May 03, 2007 8:37 pm

Yes, it still counts as an option, which shouldn't be a big deal, because once he is here, he will be here to stay. The problem is service time. Every day he spends up here counts towards whn he can go to arbitation then free agency.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby tribetalk » Thu May 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Bottom Line: We are loaded at most outfield positions in AAA if one of our OF's get injured. That is why Shapiro's plan is truly a hidden gem; especially when we have to put someone on the DL.

Whether it be the OF or the Bullpen; we should be fine throughout the year.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 03, 2007 10:12 pm

I disagree about the bully. Not if they expect to make a run into the postseason.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Swerb wrote:If Jake goes on the DL, I bring up Adam Miller for a couple starts if I'm the Tribe.

Nah.

You bring Carmona the hell back up. Leave Miller in Buffalo for more seasoning. No need to start Miller's option and service clock if you don't have to. Plus, remember, we are talking about the Dolans and Indians here, as bringing up Miller now pretty much ensures he hits Super 2 status and hits arby a year early and thus is more expensive quicker. :mrgreen:

Like Buff said, you are likely to see several moves over the weekend. Jake to the DL, and Carmona up.....and when the bullpen settles, you will see Perez go back to Buffalo and Gutierrez likely called back up. Marte from what I know is not close to returning. He started a rehab assignment last Sunday, and left Monday's game after tweaking the hammy and has yet to return.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 am

dmcdougal wrote:it'd be jerking with his head too if you keep him down their and bring up his biggest competition after he pitched two great outings in a row.

Now we're on the same page.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Consigliere wrote:Marte from what I know is not close to returning. He started a rehab assignment last Sunday, and left Monday's game after tweaking the hammy and has yet to return.

I'm in no hurry to have Marte back up. Even Blake's terrible bat is better at third than Marte.

Would anyone be surprised to see an Inglett for Rouse transaction this week too?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Would anyone be surprised to see an Inglett for Rouse transaction this week too?

I know he hasn't hit much yet.....but you know, I like Rouse. I think he'll come around eventually...and he is just not a clueless dumbfuck like Vazquez was.

I don't think Rouse is going anywhere anytime soon. He plays a good 3B, SS, and 2B....which is something Inglett doesn't do. I give Rouse until the end of the month to improve the stick and then maybe re-evaluate him.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB