Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Attendance and Payroll

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Attendance and Payroll

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 am

Shapiro let slip they needed attendance to increase 15,000 to pay for Thomes $600,000 salary. Basic math gives you $40 per person average at the game. We got 1,840,835 through the gates this year which would yield the Tribe $73,633,400. With a $49,190,566 payroll one could assume a $24,442,838 profit...without even counting the STO revenue and whatever tax money from the Bankees trickles down.

I think it's safe to assume that attendance will increase at least slightly as the club is expected to contend from day one. 2 million people get you an $80 mil payroll. 2.5 - $100 mil.

This team is in pretty good financial shape. Could be a fun offseason.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Attendance and Payroll

Unread postby 7foot3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:03 am

I'm sorry, but this math nowhere near works as simply as you suggest it does. The Indians had to spend another $16 million on players beyond just payroll last year and operating expenses totaling over $150 million.

Not to mention that there is no way this franchise can count on 2 million people in this town. Fans have shown they are way too fickle when it come to the Tribe.

And the issue people never seem to get regarding payroll, even if the Indians could count on making a profit on a $80 million dollar payroll next year, and again they can't count on that, to get there is going to require them making profit on larger payrolls for the next few years, which is a tough bet to make.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Re: Attendance and Payroll

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Attendance response to a team's success - or lack thereof - lags behind a year.

They draw well the year after a window closes, and struggle at the gate as it starts to open again.

They'll draw better in the Spring- especially if they plug the holes at 1B and LF. They indicated going for it when they traded Pomeranz and White, and making no solid signings now would be an abrupt change of direction.

Disagree?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB