Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Consig and Buff, maybe you have this info?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Consig and Buff, maybe you have this info?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu May 03, 2007 12:49 am

One thing I have noticed about our Tribe in 07 is they seem to be getting a run or two early in ball games and/or answering other teams "innings".

I don't seem to recall this team doing those two things all that often in 05 or 06, either of you two know the data on that?

IMO that is very important for a young team looking to turn that proverbial corner, having a lead early in a game is HUGE even if it is just one run. Also to close the gap on your opponents lead quickly is big, keeping you from losing hope as the game goes on seeing yourselves down 4 or 5 runs for inning after inning.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 am

I don't have the information but I just want to say I agree completely about the psyche of a young team having an early lead. Confidence can easily be shaken in a young team, so I worry about them giving up on a game early if they're down 4 or 5 to nothing.
But having the lead first is important for all teams. Sure, it can be argued that it is more important for a young team, but everyone appreciates having a lead early and it makes veterans feel better too.

The only problem with our team scoring runs so far is that they aren't really "manufactured," meaning that they don't really move runners over or play "smart ball." They depend on the extra base hits a lot and that scares me sometimes but hey, we're 16-8 and 1.5 games up in the division so they can do whatever works.
dmcdougal

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 03, 2007 12:55 am

I also hope that they remain aggressive tomorrow. We locked up the series win tonight but we have yet to sweep a three game series and I'd hate to lose some momentum going into a pretty long road trip.

That's another thing you need to worry about with a young team. Remember Leyland in Detroit last year when he felt like his team let a game go?
dmcdougal

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 03, 2007 1:05 am

The TV announcers keep harping that we've scored more runs in the 2nd inning than any other inning this year. We added another one tonight on the Garko bomb. And it does just seem like every time the other team scores a run, we score right back. It's been like that since the first game of the season. CC gave up 3 or something like that runs in the bottom of the 1st, after we scored 5 in the top, then in the top of the 2nd we score a bunch more. This team has a way about it, at least early in the season, of coming back and saying "we will not go quietly. You score on us, we're going to come right back and get those runs back". That's part of why I feel like we're never really out of a game.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 am

I don't want to make a new post about this but I saw a stat on Sportscenter that is someone concerning/encouraging...

The Indians are only batting .259 in our last 12 games (we are 10-2 during that period). What do you make of that? I say it is concerning because we are clearly depending on the long ball and extra base hits. At the same time, we are winning games and our offense isn't quite clicking yet. What do you all think?
dmcdougal

Unread postby StewieG » Thu May 03, 2007 1:17 am

A lot of it is the product of walks. We're getting on base, we're just not delivering much in the clutch. If we weren't drawing walks, and were still batting .259 or whatever it was, then we'd be lucky to be 6-6 in those games.

If we were losing these games, then I'd be very concerned. But since we're not hitting, but we're winning anyways...this is incredibly encouraging.

Our 2 top hitters (Grady and Pronk) aren't hitting. Casey Blake is playing everyday. And yet we're still 10-2 in the last 12 games? Good lord, what are we going to be like once Sizemore and Hafner start hitting again? We haven't even begun to hit like we can. This team is going to be scary good if the offense and pitching come together at the same time.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby CLEfan86 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:24 am

dmcdougal wrote:I don't want to make a new post about this but I saw a stat on Sportscenter that is someone concerning/encouraging...

The Indians are only batting .259 in our last 12 games (we are 10-2 during that period). What do you make of that? I say it is concerning because we are clearly depending on the long ball and extra base hits. At the same time, we are winning games and our offense isn't quite clicking yet. What do you all think?

As the .259 team batting average shows, we're not really clicking on all cylinders offensively. As the weather warms up I think you'll see that change, we've been playing in weather not fit for baseball. Regardless as 2005 taught us you have to start fast early and we've done that. The starting pitching (fingers crossed) have covered up some of the holes in the pen. The offense has had its share of homers, but as we saw in extras Hafner not all about the long ball, just gets the job done.
CLEfan86

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 03, 2007 9:15 am

Donny, I am not sure of the numbers, but you raise a good point.

It very well does appear the Indians right now are scoring quickly and jumping out to early leads, and also answering opponents rallies with rallies of their own an inning or two later. We'll see if this continues. As we know, in baseball this sort of stuff can get contageous, which of course would be a great thing for us.

And, the starting pitching has had a lot to do with that. Prior to last night, the Indians had gone I believe almost two straight weeks with starters going at least 6 innings. It means they are in virtually every game late.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB