Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Andre Thornton article

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Andre Thornton article

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks Greg, you nailed this one on the head. Andy was truely underappreciated during his time in Cleveland. And good a player as he was, he was 10x better as a man.

I had the pleasure of living in the same complex as he and his family his first year in Cleveland (along w/ Larvell Blanks and his family). I played with little Andre and his daughter Theresa and had dinner with his first wife Gertie when the Tribe was on the road. They became an extended family to me in a way and it was devastating to learn of the accident that took Gertie and Theresa away from us. At the age of 10, it was the first time that I lost people who I was close to and it was difficult to come to terms with that. The next season, early in May, I went down to a game with the Blanks family that was eventually called for rain. Andre invited all of us back to his new home in Chagrin Falls for dinner and time to visit as he had not seen the Blanks family or me since the team broke spring training. He was excited that little Andre would get a chance to play with his friends he had made the previous summer. It was an important visit for me as Andre spoke openly to us about the death of his wife and daughter, went through his grieving process and told of his delight that one day he would be reunited with them once again. His strength and willingness to share this had helped me come to terms with what had happened.

Unfortunately, this was one of the last times I would have a private audience with Andre. I would see him years later down the road after he retired at different functions and would make sure I would go up to him just to see how he was. The handful of times that this happened he would light up when I told him my name and each time he thanked me for being a friend to his family when he first came to Cleveland.

As the years have gone by, those days seem so distant and I haven't thought of them in quite a long time. Thank you Greg for bringing back the memories of a wonderful time in my life when I not only met a big league ball player, but became friends with a truly wonderful family who meant the world to me.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Andre Thornton article

Unread postby cappy1920 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 pm

I enjoyed the article as well; thanks for sharing your personal experience with Andre too.
cappy1920

Re: Andre Thornton article

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Larvell and Cappy, thank you to you both. Much appreciated. Thornton is such a classy guy, to this day, and in Cleveland. LB: your comments are a very nice testimonial to the guy. Very believable. Thanks for sharing.

One story I left out- Until recently, I had forgotten that in the early 1990s, Thornton's car was hit by a large, falling tree. He was trapped and had to be cut out of his car. The car in front of him was a convertible with a mother and her kids- they were what concerned him when he awoke in the hospital (they escaped injury).
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB