Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby drum » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:51 pm

nothing left to do but get out of town with a half game deficit.
Proud owner of a talking Tom Hamilton bobblehead
drum
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Sunbury OH
Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
TribeinLA wrote:well fuck. That's what happens when you cannot hit a guy who Boston or NY or Texas would have chased outta the 4th inning.


Oh, by the way, Scherzer's 3-0 2.84 in 3 starts v. NYY.

Also, 3-0 3.41 in 6 starts v. TEX.

But, hey, good point nonetheless.



4 starts this year vs Tex and NY

OPPONENT RESULT IP H R ER HR BB SO

Apr 3 @ NYY W 10-7 5.0 9 6 6 4 2 6

May 4 vs NYY W 4-0 8.0 4 0 0 0 2 9



Apr 13 vs TEX W 3-2 6.0 7 2 2 0 2 7

Jun 6 @ TEX W 13-7 5.0 8 5 5 1 1 4


2 bad starts and 2 good starts, That means you were each right 50% of the time
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:2 bad starts and 2 good starts, That means you were each right 50% of the time


I don't think you can look at individual starts. It's a matter of an entire body of work, especially when the body of work is all very recent. If we're talking over a 10-year span, then, yeah, breaking it down more is valid.

I wouldn't take Verlander's 2005 and 2006 starts against the Indians when discussing how he fares against us.

Guys have off nights. The wind blows out. All those things. If you break it down start by start, you will get outliers. But, it's better to look at the overall picture, especially with as recent as Scherzer's track record is.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:26 pm

TribeinLA wrote:How many posts of your 10,000 have you spent arguing with people? On a msg board.


Not many, but with the quality dropping around this place faster than a slut's pants around Tiger Woods circa 2010, it does seem to be occurring more frequently, doesn't it?

There's a big difference between providing quality insight and rambling like a 14-year-old girl on the phone with her friends while watching Jersey Shore.

Sure, the lack of quality posters around here and the influx of quantity is what is keeping the boards alive, but for Christ sake, I hate watching this place go downhill. There's a lot of good intelligence around here with a lot of people who can have discussion and prove a point. But, every other day, the sky is falling or the team is going to the World Series. Brantley is a future star and a giant bust. The CC trade is serviceable and then it sucks the next day. The Cliff Lee trade looked great while Carlos Carrasco was being something he really isn't and now that he's on the DL with a 4.62, it's the worst trade ever made again.

Like clockwork.

This place lacks serious perspective and it's really god damn irritating. The good posters don't even bother most of the time anymore. It's quite a shame. Sadly, it's not just the MLB/Tribe forum either.

No wonder 85% of the website traffic only reads the articles and never bothers with the forums.

Realistically, nobody gives a flying fuck if they look alike or whatever the hell point you were trying to make, but it's just a microcosm of what the forums are becoming, especially in the game threads.

There's something to be said about somebody like Erie Warrior or Pup posting about problems with LaPorta's stride or myself or daz talking about Ubaldo's mechanics, maybe McPeek posting with insight he's hearing from the press box. Then there's useless shit like players looking alike and how the Fukudome trade sucked for his first three games and is all of the sudden great.

I realize it's a "What have you done for me lately" society, and it's stupid of me to hope for something otherwise on something so trivial as a Cleveland sports message board, but this place deserves better. If only the forums could match the article content.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby TribeinLA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Let's stick to the tribe. Bottom line: We sure could use a big stick right about now with Hafner's decline. We're gonna have to rely on Choo and carlos to be our big stix and that's just not a good sign. Asdrubal is the God-send of this team as he has plated enough power to make up for Hafner. That interleague stretch, even though the wins and losses came out ok, along with @ NYY and Texas series have really hurt us. I think back and that SF bullshit interleague series was when I thought it was all over for us. We've done a nice job of battling back...but now Kip on DL and guys like Sloth and valbuena having to play nightly, it's a wonder we're not fighting off the Twins instead of the Pale Hose right bout now.

If Huff can continue to be as good as he's been, we should win tomorrow and that leaves it up to Ubaldo on Sunday. I don't have a great feeling about him away from Cleveland since he's arrived. BUT it's way too soon to judge him. Just gotta get it done.
Image
User avatar
TribeinLA
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: Badstreet, USA
Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
TribeinLA wrote:How many posts of your 10,000 have you spent arguing with people? On a msg board.


Not many, but with the quality dropping around this place faster than a slut's pants around Tiger Woods circa 2010, it does seem to be occurring more frequently, doesn't it?

There's a big difference between providing quality insight and rambling like a 14-year-old girl on the phone with her friends while watching Jersey Shore.

Sure, the lack of quality posters around here and the influx of quantity is what is keeping the boards alive, but for Christ sake, I hate watching this place go downhill. There's a lot of good intelligence around here with a lot of people who can have discussion and prove a point. But, every other day, the sky is falling or the team is going to the World Series. Brantley is a future star and a giant bust. The CC trade is serviceable and then it sucks the next day. The Cliff Lee trade looked great while Carlos Carrasco was being something he really isn't and now that he's on the DL with a 4.62, it's the worst trade ever made again.

Like clockwork.

This place lacks serious perspective and it's really god damn irritating. The good posters don't even bother most of the time anymore. It's quite a shame. Sadly, it's not just the MLB/Tribe forum either.

No wonder 85% of the website traffic only reads the articles and never bothers with the forums.

Realistically, nobody gives a flying fuck if they look alike or whatever the hell point you were trying to make, but it's just a microcosm of what the forums are becoming, especially in the game threads.

There's something to be said about somebody like Erie Warrior or Pup posting about problems with LaPorta's stride or myself or daz talking about Ubaldo's mechanics, maybe McPeek posting with insight he's hearing from the press box. Then there's useless shit like players looking alike and how the Fukudome trade sucked for his first three games and is all of the sudden great.

I realize it's a "What have you done for me lately" society, and it's stupid of me to hope for something otherwise on something so trivial as a Cleveland sports message board, but this place deserves better. If only the forums could match the article content.



I miss when the game threads were awesome......
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I miss when the game threads were awesome......


Some were insightful. Some were hilarious. None of the funny or insightful posters really comment in game threads anymore.

With good reason I guess.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby TribeinLA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Message Board snobs...they are everywhere on every site. I may not bring the knowledge of what's going on at AAA Columbus or the splits on a switch-hitting catcher at Kinston, but for a guy stuck in Louisiana and having nothing but Astros problems, Braves re-waggoners, and RedSox nation and Yankee sull-of-shitters, I know a good bit more than the average Indian fan not living in Cleveland. I have been a hardcore fan of Cleveland for over 20 years. I can talk history as well as anyone. I remember the Reggie Jeffersons, Thomas Howards, Kevin Wickanders and Dave Ottos vividly. I don't vacation in Argentina or Italy. I spend my hard-earned money for a week and 2 series up in Cleveland every summer. I love my team. It's been a rollercoaster ride. I am guilty of being bi-polar...all out of love. I just want this team to win. BUT not every post I make is a chicken-little one. BUT please spare me the message board elitist stuff. Some of us are just fans.
Image
User avatar
TribeinLA
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: Badstreet, USA
Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby shamwow imitator » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:57 pm

drum wrote:nothing left to do but get out of town with a half game deficit.

Think I'd settle for 2.5 games out at this point.
But I like your way of thinking better :thumb up:
User avatar
shamwow imitator
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Earth
Favorite Player: Dick Jacobs
Least Favorite Player: Dolans

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I miss when the game threads were awesome......


Some were insightful. Some were hilarious. None of the funny or insightful posters really comment in game threads anymore.

With good reason I guess.


Look at this thread Tripods.

Does a well thought out post or comment even fit here?

Waste of time

Christ.

And it's nothing close to being a "message board snob" - there's a big gap between idiocy, and just looking for some worthwhile conversation about the game.

Yesterday's game thread was 5 pages - about four of them telling me Hawk Harrelson sucks. Over and over and......over again.

Booooooooo!!!!
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:2 bad starts and 2 good starts, That means you were each right 50% of the time


I don't think you can look at individual starts. It's a matter of an entire body of work, especially when the body of work is all very recent. If we're talking over a 10-year span, then, yeah, breaking it down more is valid.

I wouldn't take Verlander's 2005 and 2006 starts against the Indians when discussing how he fares against us.

Guys have off nights. The wind blows out. All those things. If you break it down start by start, you will get outliers. But, it's better to look at the overall picture, especially with as recent as Scherzer's track record is.


I'm taking it from this year because I inferred from his comments that he meant THIS year teams like Texas, Boston, and New York would get past him. I didn't get from his post that he was referencing the past.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:07 am

leadpipe wrote:
And it's nothing close to being a "message board snob" - there's a big gap between idiocy, and just looking for some worthwhile conversation about the game.

Yesterday's game thread was 5 pages - about four of them telling me Hawk Harrelson sucks. Over and over and......over again.

Booooooooo!!!!


I'm going to start out by saying I personally don't have a problem with anybody on this board. I don't have an agenda towards anybody.

But from an Objective viewpoint it does feel a little like message board snobbery. Even if you are not meaning it to be. Fans of all shapes, sizes, intellects, viewpoints should be able to post what they want without being judged like we are all back in high school.

Personally for me I just use the site for info, and the board to get a pulse on other Tribe Fans and either celebrate or rant in the threads. That's how I enjoy baseball and game threads. Quick and Easy just like that wafflehouse waitress. I used to take it more seriously but a guy named Larry who was on here was also on another forum I was on and his behavior and all the posts back and forth just soured me and then posting and watching the games stopped being fun. And that is what this should be FUN.


I get the other side of the coin as well. You feel the quality of the board is going down ( its something you care about ) and TRIBELA's posts obviously annoy you and it finally got to the point where you had enough so you said something. "Dumb" posts to you are not fun. Completely understandable.


But using the game threads for useless dribble or for in depth conversations or observations are both okay. Neither is wrong however one could be more annoying than the other. As long as people dont lose sight of that its fine and this doesnt turn into an Im better than you thing, we should be okay.


In the immortal words of Ric Flair " A few moments ago we all had a tendency to start hollering at each other" Everybody just needs to chill out understand that we all share a common passion for the Indians or the City of Cleveland, and that the game might have caused tempers to flare.


Now..........................Image
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:27 am

leadpipe wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I miss when the game threads were awesome......


Some were insightful. Some were hilarious. None of the funny or insightful posters really comment in game threads anymore.

With good reason I guess.


Look at this thread Tripods.

Does a well thought out post or comment even fit here?

Waste of time

Christ.

And it's nothing close to being a "message board snob" - there's a big gap between idiocy, and just looking for some worthwhile conversation about the game.

Yesterday's game thread was 5 pages - about four of them telling me Hawk Harrelson sucks. Over and over and......over again.

Booooooooo!!!!



I just enjoyed the old crowd, I don't have really anything against new people or whatnot. I'm no expert on baseball, I can't tell the faults in a dude's pitching mechanics. I enjoyed just shootin' the shit and cracking jokes. But I do really enjoy reading the posts of people who know the game in and out.

JMHO........
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:53 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
And it's nothing close to being a "message board snob" - there's a big gap between idiocy, and just looking for some worthwhile conversation about the game.

Yesterday's game thread was 5 pages - about four of them telling me Hawk Harrelson sucks. Over and over and......over again.

Booooooooo!!!!


I'm going to start out by saying I personally don't have a problem with anybody on this board. I don't have an agenda towards anybody.

But from an Objective viewpoint it does feel a little like message board snobbery. Even if you are not meaning it to be. Fans of all shapes, sizes, intellects, viewpoints should be able to post what they want without being judged like we are all back in high school.

Personally for me I just use the site for info, and the board to get a pulse on other Tribe Fans and either celebrate or rant in the threads. That's how I enjoy baseball and game threads. Quick and Easy just like that wafflehouse waitress. I used to take it more seriously but a guy named Larry who was on here was also on another forum I was on and his behavior and all the posts back and forth just soured me and then posting and watching the games stopped being fun. And that is what this should be FUN.


I get the other side of the coin as well. You feel the quality of the board is going down ( its something you care about ) and TRIBELA's posts obviously annoy you and it finally got to the point where you had enough so you said something. "Dumb" posts to you are not fun. Completely understandable.


But using the game threads for useless dribble or for in depth conversations or observations are both okay. Neither is wrong however one could be more annoying than the other. As long as people dont lose sight of that its fine and this doesnt turn into an Im better than you thing, we should be okay.


In the immortal words of Ric Flair " A few moments ago we all had a tendency to start hollering at each other" Everybody just needs to chill out understand that we all share a common passion for the Indians or the City of Cleveland, and that the game might have caused tempers to flare.


Now..........................Image


This all makes perfect sense.

The problem, however, is there is ZERO of this balance of which you speak.

Wouldn't bring it up if it were close to a balance.

If I'm considered a "snob" for recognizing 90% nonsense than so be it.

If every post had stats or technique analysis, well, that would make a pretty boring board. But it would make a better board than guys going on 4 consecutive post runs calling various guys shitheads.

It's nothing to do with being a baseball expert or a casual fan. Neither is a prerequisite to typing a decent post.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6592
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 am

skatingtripods wrote:
TribeinLA wrote:How many posts of your 10,000 have you spent arguing with people? On a msg board.


Not many, but with the quality dropping around this place faster than a slut's pants around Tiger Woods circa 2010, it does seem to be occurring more frequently, doesn't it?

There's a big difference between providing quality insight and rambling like a 14-year-old girl on the phone with her friends while watching Jersey Shore.

Sure, the lack of quality posters around here and the influx of quantity is what is keeping the boards alive, but for Christ sake, I hate watching this place go downhill. There's a lot of good intelligence around here with a lot of people who can have discussion and prove a point. But, every other day, the sky is falling or the team is going to the World Series. Brantley is a future star and a giant bust. The CC trade is serviceable and then it sucks the next day. The Cliff Lee trade looked great while Carlos Carrasco was being something he really isn't and now that he's on the DL with a 4.62, it's the worst trade ever made again.

Like clockwork.

This place lacks serious perspective and it's really god damn irritating. The good posters don't even bother most of the time anymore. It's quite a shame. Sadly, it's not just the MLB/Tribe forum either.

No wonder 85% of the website traffic only reads the articles and never bothers with the forums.

Realistically, nobody gives a flying fuck if they look alike or whatever the hell point you were trying to make, but it's just a microcosm of what the forums are becoming, especially in the game threads.

There's something to be said about somebody like Erie Warrior or Pup posting about problems with LaPorta's stride or myself or daz talking about Ubaldo's mechanics, maybe McPeek posting with insight he's hearing from the press box. Then there's useless shit like players looking alike and how the Fukudome trade sucked for his first three games and is all of the sudden great.

I realize it's a "What have you done for me lately" society, and it's stupid of me to hope for something otherwise on something so trivial as a Cleveland sports message board, but this place deserves better. If only the forums could match the article content.


Remember my flameout a year ago? Hate to say I told you so, but....

There are many factors at play, Twitter being the biggest, but we are witnessing the death of high traffic message boards showing quality.

It's sad and over.

That is why I started my own board w/ my friends, not to rip anything from any other place, but to keep a small community alive. The only reason message boards even still exist is to protect communities. Swerb would almost be better off shutting down the public boards here, hosting a private board and shoving "comment on articles for discussion" down the face of the readership.

This is why I'm going off on SD in the CFB forum (beyond finding it humorous). There are no more sacred grounds, viva la Twitter.

IMO, and I'll email Swerb, this place should adopt an AV Club style commentary idea.

No reason to hate on these idiots, didn't you guys learn anything from watching my battles in the NBA forum? You may be taking a different approach but it will end the same way, trust.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:58 am

Case in point, how many of these fuckheads posting on this board do you guys really remember from a year ago?

It's people w/ 7 IQs running amuk.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:59 am

I'm still waiting on my invite.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:03 am

TribeinLA wrote:Message Board snobs...they are everywhere on every site. I may not bring the knowledge of what's going on at AAA Columbus or the splits on a switch-hitting catcher at Kinston, but for a guy stuck in Louisiana and having nothing but Astros problems, Braves re-waggoners, and RedSox nation and Yankee sull-of-shitters, I know a good bit more than the average Indian fan not living in Cleveland. I have been a hardcore fan of Cleveland for over 20 years. I can talk history as well as anyone. I remember the Reggie Jeffersons, Thomas Howards, Kevin Wickanders and Dave Ottos vividly. I don't vacation in Argentina or Italy. I spend my hard-earned money for a week and 2 series up in Cleveland every summer. I love my team. It's been a rollercoaster ride. I am guilty of being bi-polar...all out of love. I just want this team to win. BUT not every post I make is a chicken-little one. BUT please spare me the message board elitist stuff. Some of us are just fans.


And honestly, hard on your luck guy in LA is America.

I want to like you, I really do. You have some great posts that have shined a bit in this era of awful. Don't take this personal.

My thing is, in the "Twitter" era everyone can choose who they read there, they can avoid people or converse with people at their leisure. That doesn't exist on message boards so when you stop thinking and start going off in (keywords here) multiple posts, you become the asshole.

Think before you type is the number one rule of message boards, unless you call CDT a waste of oxygen repeatedly.

2007 made this place, 2011 may kill it.

The circle of life or some shit.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:07 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
And it's nothing close to being a "message board snob" - there's a big gap between idiocy, and just looking for some worthwhile conversation about the game.

Yesterday's game thread was 5 pages - about four of them telling me Hawk Harrelson sucks. Over and over and......over again.

Booooooooo!!!!


I'm going to start out by saying I personally don't have a problem with anybody on this board. I don't have an agenda towards anybody.

But from an Objective viewpoint it does feel a little like message board snobbery. Even if you are not meaning it to be. Fans of all shapes, sizes, intellects, viewpoints should be able to post what they want without being judged like we are all back in high school.


It's not that all man, not at all. This has nothing to do w/ you and it is unfair to project it onto you. It's a nostalgic reaction.

And, FWIW I don't think a single person here was aiming anything at you. You (sorry) are an incredibly meh guy on this board. Given the current tide there are moments when you are one of the best.

These guys are just now coming to grips w/ that.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:12 am

CDT: I still hate you though
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:27 am

e0y2e3 wrote:CDT: I still hate you though


See this^^^^^?

This is why I LOVE this site.

This place is like a neighborhood bar to me. I come here to talk sports and have a few fuckin laughs.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Bigfist » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:21 am

Interesting discussion. What I find particularly fascinating is that no matter what sports or betting discussion board I have ever been on, at some point, someone comes up with a statement along the lines that "this place used to have a lot more intelligent posters than we have now. The good ones have been run off by the idiots." I go back to the old Montreal Canadien mailing list in 1994, when I was just a mere pup on the internet. Our posts used to come in the form of emails to everyone on the list. And even then, some person would point out that only the idiots are posting now..the good ones have left. The old CSML(Cleveland Sports Mailing List) was the same way. The Indians scout board had the same sort of posts. Multiple gambling boards are like that, and now this place.

In terms of baseball discussion, I really think part of the problem is the Billy Beane, Bill James wannabees.
I find it is mainly those types who treat the others in a condescending fashion..those that cannout quote the lastest OPS+ or ZR for a particular player are unworthy of being taken seriously. But when I see something that tells me that Roberto Alomar was less than an average 2B defensively, then I know there is a problem with the statistic. When I hear some bozo say that no matter how you set your lineup, the number of runs scored will be the same (of course, "proven" on COMPUTER MODELS, notwithstanding the fact that no manager in the history of baseball believes it), then I really know something is amiss.

How to say this without sounding arrogant? Ok...I will say it. I don't think many people on a discussion board know much more about baseball than I do. Maybe it is not borne out in my posts, which are not all that frequent. Maybe I don't know that Laporta takes an improper stride, but I know he should have shown more than he has by now. I can tell that Choo takes terrible routes to the ball, although I love him as a player. I can tell that Chad Durbin sucks.

Yes, we are a schizophrenic bunch, but that is the way it has been on all discussion boards. The scout (Browns) forum was abuzz last year about who the Browns would be seeing in the playoffs, after the thrashing of New Orleans and New England. Two weeks later, all the discussion was that Mangini had to go and who would replace him. We are not alone here.

I love reading the game threads, although I only rarely contribute. I have not personally found the discussions to have deteriorated over the last three years at all. I hope nothing changes.
User avatar
Bigfist
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:02 am
Location: Kinston, NC
Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

And, FWIW I don't think a single person here was aiming anything at you. You (sorry) are an incredibly meh guy on this board. Given the current tide there are moments when you are one of the best.

These guys are just now coming to grips w/ that.



Dont worry, I didnt think anybody was projecting anything on me. I was just trying to calm the situation down.

As for the meh, dont have to apologize, Im not really here to prove anything to anybody( Been there, done that ) so that that doesnt bother me.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Good Lord what a shit fest this thread is. Good thing I wasn't watching last night. The game would have been frustrating enough. To a few of the guy bitching about quality of posting here, it's not any different than any other forum Ive been on. In fact this place is awesome because you can actually speak your mind without worrying about offending some keyboard pussy. I dont know(or particularly care) who your referring to, but I see it from both sides. There are people who offer alot of insight and perspective, and some....not so much. Such is the circle of the internet. I wasn't here in 2007, so I have nothing to compare it to. But coming from the Scout board(puke) this place is a fucking haven.
User avatar
Symbolic47
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: Transplanted to Oregon
Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Sure, comparatively speaking, this place is far superior to the others that are out there. But, it has gone progressively downhill. Four pages of talking about how much Hawk Harrelson sucks? We all already know this.

It's not that hard to look things up before you post them. Stats are readily available everywhere, so is the latest Indians news. It's very simple to do some background before you post so you don't sound like a hump.

But, whatever, seemingly I'm in the wrong and some posters are content to read the same drawn-out shit everyday in game threads about how the opposition's broadcast crew sucks and how every player we've acquired unequivocally blows until he does something good. Then he blows again the next time he screws up.

When we win, we're going to the World Series. When we lose, the sky is falling and the lifeboats are being untied. Shit, we have people actually posting on here about using a five-man rotation in the playoffs.

Guess I expect too much. Shame on me.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby redneckofsc » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 pm

This was much better when we were talking shit about Hawk Harrelson.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4603
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:24 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Sure, comparatively speaking, this place is far superior to the others that are out there. But, it has gone progressively downhill. Four pages of talking about how much Hawk Harrelson sucks? We all already know this.

It's not that hard to look things up before you post them. Stats are readily available everywhere, so is the latest Indians news. It's very simple to do some background before you post so you don't sound like a hump.

But, whatever, seemingly I'm in the wrong and some posters are content to read the same drawn-out shit everyday in game threads about how the opposition's broadcast crew sucks and how every player we've acquired unequivocally blows until he does something good. Then he blows again the next time he screws up.

When we win, we're going to the World Series. When we lose, the sky is falling and the lifeboats are being untied. Shit, we have people actually posting on here about using a five-man rotation in the playoffs.

Guess I expect too much. Shame on me.


I went and shot guns today, like a real man...... and now i'm going to eat some steak and have several beverages that contain copious amounts of alcohol.

This is win. Everybody else is epic fail.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 pm

I hate Twitter; I don't mind those who have an acoount using it with good reason (sports namely).

Also, if I am "sub-quality" for this website, then I will go away. I came here in '07 to escape the Indians.com board (or whatever it was). I post on an LSU board and here. That's it. Both boards are polar opposites, but they're both quality. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I just feel the game thread is the place to say whatever. The "in-game" should be everyone's thoughts from Hawk sucking to Santana's OBP. LH vs. RH. In other words, there would be no need for a game thread if we couldn't comment on how certain situations look and me personally, I like it when some people make witty points about the game. Then, there are threads that should be well-thought out and stark baseball IQ'd comments apply only. I feel that this board is great because it's small and everyone sort of carries a persona. BUT let me tell you that I once had a real-life meet up with a lot of guys from the LSU boards...many of whom I thought would be douches, and I'll be damned if everyone didn't just get along fine and really enjoy hanging out.

There's something about talking behind a keyboard that makes the avatar outweigh what's really there. Hell, I think most of you would like me if you met me. I bet I can say the same about most of you. We're all Tribe fans...not waggoners. We should definitely stick together.

Lastly, I want to apologize to SkatingTripods. I got irritated about the Sowers assumption, but I could have reacted differently. I hope you can overlook it.

Double-lastly, life is just too damn serious anyway. I just lost my grandfather two weekends ago and the night of Ubaldo's debut. I'm just now able to watch Indians games and being ok with the postgame ring I used to get every night at about 9:30 CT from an old man who loved to talk Tribe with his grandson and review the game. I don't get that call anymore, but it's all good. I get it from a new perspective. Ok, off the soap box I go. Life's serious. Message boards should not be.
Image
User avatar
TribeinLA
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: Badstreet, USA
Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Aww I was having fun ripping on Hawk. Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it. I was a bit drunk and was having fun at his expense. I enjoyed it :cheers:
User avatar
Symbolic47
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: Transplanted to Oregon
Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Symbolic47 wrote:Aww I was having fun ripping on Hawk. Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it. I was a bit drunk and was having fun at his expense. I enjoyed it :cheers:


I enjoyed it
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 pm

/Peeks in to see what's going.... slowly tiptoes backward and closes the door.

As you were.

Life's too effing short. Seriously.

But I reserve the right to call anyone of you idiots an idiot at any given time. And it's 438% guaranteed I will.

You can post in here and in Twitter. You can spend all night here making fun of CDT (Shit, I encourage that).

But it'd be great if occasionally something was added. Anything.

Opinions are fine. It's the immediate response that no one else needs to see or hear in a lot of cases. That's NOT what this place is for. We all see the game. We all, as Tribe fans, have similar reactions. Not every single gut reaction needs to be expressed and memorialized for eternity in some useless post.

That's all.

Have fun and add something. Or lurk. Lurking's good. :hide:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22680
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Hell yeah, people can rip on me all they want, I don't mind. Just don't get bent when I rip back.

This place is fun, that's why I hang out. I have a seriously warped sense of humor, though.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Indians at Tigers 8/19/11

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:04 am

skatingtripods wrote:Sure, comparatively speaking, this place is far superior to the others that are out there. But, it has gone progressively downhill. Four pages of talking about how much Hawk Harrelson sucks? We all already know this.

It's not that hard to look things up before you post them. Stats are readily available everywhere, so is the latest Indians news. It's very simple to do some background before you post so you don't sound like a hump.

But, whatever, seemingly I'm in the wrong and some posters are content to read the same drawn-out shit everyday in game threads about how the opposition's broadcast crew sucks and how every player we've acquired unequivocally blows until he does something good. Then he blows again the next time he screws up.

When we win, we're going to the World Series. When we lose, the sky is falling and the lifeboats are being untied. Shit, we have people actually posting on here about using a five-man rotation in the playoffs.

Guess I expect too much. Shame on me.


David Huff >>>> Ubaldo and don't you forget it damnit
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bookelly, leadpipe and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: bookelly, leadpipe and 3 guests