Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Cubs fire GM Hendry

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Cubs fire GM Hendry

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... endryfired

Can't say it was unexpected, especially after he'd gotten a vote of confidence earlier in the week. It's like Michael Corleone telling you that you can leave the family unharmed.

The minuses outweighed the pluses with Hendry, really. He got the team to a point where they should have gone to the World Series in 2003 and had some success in 2007-8. He lost me when he signed Milton Bradley, quite frankly. That was his jump the shark moment. Soriano's stupid contract is going to be ugly money the next three seasons, and I think they'll pretty much cut Carlos Zambrano loose after the season, regardless of how much money he makes. They'll have to decide on Aramais Ramirez' $16M option as well.

For a franchise with as much money as they have, they really needed to adapt the last 5 plus years, much like Boston and New York did. Sure, those teams spend a ton on their ML roster, but they also spend huge money on the draft and their player development, something the Cubs never quite figured out until recently. The new ownership up here is cleaning house and re-modeling the team to be on par with its big-market peers. The next couple of seasons might be painful, though. I don't see them spending stupid money to try to lure Pujols or Fielder to the North Side.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Cubs fire GM Hendry

Unread postby Spin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Huge payroll and no results.

And Soriano's payday is certainly on everyone's minds. In the AL he might make sense for a team that has no other non-fielding bat. And wasn't such a Dbag. But in the NL?

It comes with the territory when you go to a megamarket and have the cash to do what you want...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Cubs fire GM Hendry

Unread postby swerb » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Eight years too late.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB