Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Is Anyone Else Getting A Bit Irritated?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Is Anyone Else Getting A Bit Irritated?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 01, 2007 4:33 pm

I know that MLB has a lot to deal with in terms of postponements, but it is ridiculous that it is nearly a month later and we have no real idea of when these games will be made up. With the stupid September roadtrip that takes us from MIN to ANA to CWS, I would absolutely hate to play one of those games anywhere near the middle of the month.

May 21 and June 11 seem to be winners thus far, but does MLB honestly think that we're going to play two make-up doubleheaders on off days. June 11 means CIN to CLE to FLA, playing four games in three days.

A professional league really should not be having this much trouble figuring this out. Not to mention, if we get lucky with the appeal from Saturday night, that's another 2/3 of a game that has to be made up.

If a jet-lagged make up game on October 1 after being in SEA and KC makes us miss the playoffs, the whole city should scream bloody murder.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Yeah, supposedly they are close on announcing when these games will be made up. I can understand why this is taking awhile though. An entire 4-game homestand with a team was wiped out and they don't come back into town.

Going to be interesting as hell to see how this shakes out. Something tells me, the Indians will be very pissed at the outcome (at least one game is made up in Seattle or at a neutral site).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Is Anyone Else Getting A Bit Irritated?

Unread postby sandlot33 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:A professional league really should not be having this much trouble figuring this out. Not to mention, if we get lucky with the appeal from Saturday night, that's another 2/3 of a game that has to be made up.

whats the deal with the appeal??? I did not get to watch the game saturday and from what i hear we have a good chance to win the appeal
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 01, 2007 11:29 pm

We'll find out by Friday about the appeal.
consigliere

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 pm

I live in Toledo and took my wife and two sons to the game on Saturday. If we win the appeal, will our tickets get us in to watch the replayed game?
captain_wahoo

Unread postby sandlot33 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 pm

Consigliere wrote:We'll find out by Friday about the appeal.

what are they appealing
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 pm

I meant they find out about the protest by Friday.
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 02, 2007 12:19 am

sandlot33 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:We'll find out by Friday about the appeal.

what are they appealing

I'm not sure what you know so here goes.

3rd inning, men on 1st and 3rd one down. Hernandez hits a fly ball to CF and Sizemore makes a great diving catch. Markakis, the runner at third, tags up and heads home. Tejada, who usually doesn't know what is going on, rounds second thinking it was dropping. Sizemore throws back to first to double up Tejada after Markakis scored from third.

The home plate umpire wrongly waved off the run. In the 4th inning, one of BAL's coaches says something to the umpire that the run should have counted. They consult the rule book which concurs. The run is added in the 6th inning, while the Indians are batting.

Wedge is appealing that A. Baltimore did not ask immediately after and therefore, the play is no longer questionable. and B. the run should not have been added that late. The rule states that an umpire can correct his own fault at any point during the game, however, the play was not appealed immediately.

We will likely lose the protest, but in the event that we win it, the game will be replayed from the point that MLB deems necessary.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 02, 2007 12:20 am

Also, according to the Indians official site, we're going to lose a home game out of this fiasco and play a double dip in Seattle during the last week of the season. Other dates are May 21 and June 11 in Cleveland.

That makes four lost home dates this season. MLB has some serious ass kissing to do next year for the Tribe.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:24 am

thanks tripod
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 02, 2007 8:01 am

Skating Tripods wrote:That makes four lost home dates this season. MLB has some serious ass kissing to do next year for the Tribe.

Actually, five. The three with the Angels, and now two with Seattle.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed May 02, 2007 9:08 am

Consigliere wrote:
Actually, five. The three with the Angels, and now two with Seattle.

I think it's four.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindea ... xml&coll=2

Blake said three of the games will be played at Jacobs Field and a fourth will be played in Seattle in September. Blake had to leave the call to take batting practice and did not know if the dates were finalized.

"They want to make sure Cleveland gets at least three gates," said Blake. "And they want to avoid doubleheaders."

I don't know how they can avoid doubleheaders, but they want Cleveland to get three gates. If we get three of the games back then we'll only have given up four home games. It sucks any way you slice it.

I wonder if MLB will be compensating the Indians in any way. I doubt Seattle would give up the gate to the make-up game held in Seattle. Must be nice for them to land 82 home games this year instead of 81.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 02, 2007 9:24 am

Yes four.....I hadn't read the articles yet prior to reading Tripods reply, and saw his "double-dip" mention which I assumed meant two of the games were going to Seattle. My bad.
consigliere

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 02, 2007 10:48 am

Consigliere wrote:Yes four.....I hadn't read the articles yet prior to reading Tripods reply, and saw his "double-dip" mention which I assumed meant two of the games were going to Seattle. My bad.

Yeah, I didn't realize that it's only a three-gamer at the end of the year. But at the same time, this now means that we have to fly cross-country after a 1:05 tilt with OAK at the Jake and then play the following night in Seattle. I'm not quite sure how that's fair, especially in September.

MrMacPhisto wrote:I don't know how they can avoid doubleheaders, but they want Cleveland to get three gates. If we get three of the games back then we'll only have given up four home games. It sucks any way you slice it.

I wonder if MLB will be compensating the Indians in any way.

My best guess is May 21, June 11, and after the conclusion of the regular season for everybody else. That factors in the September 24 "home game" in Seattle.

The only compensation may come in the schedule next year, with a better made one. I remember the Milwaukee series coming out of the MLB's "contigency" fund, so there was no out of pocket charge by the Indians or Angels to rent out Miller Park. That's probably the best we'll get.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB