Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

First big deal immenent? Rasmus/Edwin Jackson

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

First big deal immenent? Rasmus/Edwin Jackson

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 am

Looks like the framework of a three way deal with Toronto/St. Louis and the White Sox is close to being in place. Colby Rasmus and Edwin Jackson are the two biggest players. Looks like St. Louis will be getting Jackson. Not sure if Rasmus is headed to Toronto or Chicago.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/b ... ckson.html
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: First big deal immenent? Rasmus/Edwin Jackson

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Phase one of the deal is complete.

The Blue Jays acquired starter Edwin Jackson and third baseman Mark Teahen from the White Sox for reliever Jason Frasor and starter Zach Stewart, tweets Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune. Contrary to an earlier report, no cash will change hands in the deal.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Part Two:

12:08pm: The Cardinals will send Rasmus, Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters to the Blue Jays for Jackson, Rzepczynski, Dotel, and Corey Patterson, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney. Olney adds that Miller is then expected to be traded to the White Sox.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm

So all the Blue Jays gave up for a young, cost-controlled, power/speed CF is a projected 3/4 starter, 3 relief pitchers, and the immortal Corey Patterson? That's it? And they received a few other players? Did Colby Rasmus sleep with Tony LaRussa's wife or something? He's taken a step back from last year but he's not exactly a guy you just give up on unless there are extenuating circumstances. Makes a bit more sense from the Cardinals end in that they're getting a starter whose stuff should play up in the National League and lots of bullpen help. At first glance, The White Sox seem to be the losers in this deal trading a current 3/4 starter (with higher potential) for a projected 3/4 starter and a couple relievers that won't exactly do much this year.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:41 pm

The White Sox basically had 6 starting pitchers, so dealing one isn't horrible. Chances are Jackson's gonna be too expensive for them to re-sign in the off-season, and he's projecting as a Type B FA. I agree they probably could have gotten more for him, but they were able to off-load a worthless Mark Teahan's $5.5M for next year in this deal.

If you believe what you read, Rasmus is really a tool and has pretty much alienated himself from the Cardinals coaching staff. I guess they felt that losing him was addition by subtraction in the clubhouse.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby The Math God » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Rajai Davis from the Blue Jays should now be available as he will lose his CF job to Rasmus.
The Math God

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB