Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

What reasonable moves do you see us making? If any?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: What reasonable moves do you see us making? If any?

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:03 pm

TribeinLA wrote:Damn it, I made a long drawn out post of the moves I think we should make and why I thought each made sense...I'll just shorten up. Feel free to criticize me. I can take it. Here is me playing GM:

Trade R Perez and J Smith to SD for Ryan Ludwick and a PTBN.

SD does not need two veteran relief pitchers, but we do if we are in a playoff race.

Trade M La Porta and J Gomez to Colorado for Chris Ianetta. Helton is 38 and the Rockies are going to need another 1b soon. Let Santana play 1b everyday. Let Marson backup Ianetta.

Helton is having a very nice year and has two more years left on that contract. LaPorta can't play the OF, especially not at Coors Caynon, meaning he's pretty much useless to the Rockies.

Trade C Phelps and lower level prospect to Oakland for Coco Crisp. Crisp is over 30 now and has lost pop in his bat, but he's a better base stealer now than he was when he was 25.

Probably the only deal you outlined that might actually be feasible. Problem for me is that the only thing Crisp is doing better than Brantley right now is steal bases (number, not %). I'm not sure that means all that much, considering you'd have to give up something to actually get Crisp versus sticking with a younger, cheaper version of him. Don't know if it was you that didn't like MB's OBP as a leadoff hitter. Well, take a look at Crisp's. It's actually worse.

If you are going to pick up more offense and move Santana to first, I'd stick with Marson as my starting catcher. Defensively he's superior to Ianetta, and his handling of the staff seems to be quite good. You can sacrifice a bit of offense and have it made up in what Marson brings to the team as a solid defensive catcher. He knows this staff fairly well, having caught most of them the past two years here and in AAA. Ianetta has no familiarity with anyone on the staff and throws runners out at the same rate as Sanatana.
Last edited by WiscTribeFan on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby TribeinLA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Damn it Jerry, I'm a doctor not a...

YOu caught me! Brantley is my own personal phantom. Let me go back and reconfigure. :hide:
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Where's Kipnis?
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby TribeinLA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:20 pm

No, I am fine with Brantley...just momentary lapse of reason. I do not know why I left him off. That said, he is - you're right - a slightly lesser model of Crisp. I would like to have them both and maybe rotate them. Crisp is a SH, but maybe platoon he, Brantley, and a newly-arrived Choo where one sits on a given day. I don't think Shin Soo is about to come back and start lighting it up. We are, after all, talking a layoff of three months. Also, we need vet bats presence and that's the one thing Rick Manning keeps hinting at on the telecasts. I agree with him. Crisp is a spark. He's a fan favorite. He's one of the best best stealers in the league. He's fairly cheap (just under 6 mil) and he could be a rental. We could rent Beltran for twice as much. Brantley is playing well, but he's not replacing the ghost that used to be Grady Sizemore. He's ahead of the expected curve, but I'm not willing to build my outfield around him. This all, of course, is putting Grady on the shelf -- possibly for good. At least in Cleveland.

SD may not want 2 relivers and we may not want to give up 2 relivers, but I'd be fine giving them R Perez and another player for Ludwick. That's what it'll likley take. We could give them Pestano and we'd have Ludwick the next day, but I am not for that anymore. Vinnie is so damn tough on RH's. He's also 25-26. Perez could implode liek he's already done. Ludwick is that stick I want to have protection for Hafner and Santana.

Ianetta may not be a better defensive catcher than Marson, but aside from the double dip in Minn, Lou has yet to have a truly awesome offensive performance. Ianetta is also a fireplug much in the mold of Varitek and Barrett when it comes to that aspect. I don't think Lou's ready to be full-time yet. Ianetta and how he handles his staff is not something we can measure. I take it he does just fine, though.

This whole scenario is meant to get LaPorta on the blocks and out of town. If he turns out to be a .300/35/120 guy down the road...so be it. Brian Giles, at least when we traded him, we knew that he was going to be a badass. Can anyone say that with conviction about Swan Dive? He's a liability right now. True, others are struggling but he's not living up to what we had hoped for. He's not on schedule. How long are we willing to give him?

My GM skills are certainly novice and I'd never quit my job, but I have to think 2 of my 3 moves are doable and needed.
TribeinLA

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 pm

One of your moves is doable (Crisp), but the other two aren't as outlined. Personally, I think Brantely=Crisp right now, and it's been over 5 years since he's played here, so I don't see him being the fan draw that you do. He was a solid player who way overachieved here, especially with his power numbers. Probably should have gotten more for him when we dealt him to Boston.

LaPorta is worth nothing, espeically to the Rockies. Wave your hands all you want about Helton and his age, the Rocks don't need LaPorta.

The Pirates are pushing hard for Ianetta, which means the price is going up.

SD is rebuilding, they're gonna want a guy like Pestano, which I think Cleveland shouldn't do for a rental type player. Personally, in two years I think Pestano is Cleveland's closer and we move C.Perez in a deal, especially as he gets more expensive.
Last edited by WiscTribeFan on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:33 pm

I think Ive given up on Laporta too. Sad day. But he has shown nothing.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:42 pm

The more I look at Ludwick's numbers, even away from Petco (his splits are nearly identical), the less enthusiastic I am about him. Brantley has a higher OPS than he does.

Yuck. Pass, especially with the price-tag that comes with it. I'd rather have Crisp, who has a higher OPS as well, especially against righties.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: Three hottest teams on Kuroda are #Tigers, #Indians, #Rangers. #MLB

Two issues: Kuroda's NTC; LAD will want straight youth.

Get Kuroda and move Smith/RP to get a bat upgrade, could be a shot in the arm.

On another note, I wonder if Michael Bourn could be available. A Boras client, but under control for next year. I don't know what the Astros plan to do with him, as I don't know their minor league system, but good defensive CF with speed and hits for average.

Smith + Phelps for Bourn? No idea what Phelps's market value is.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:O

Personally, in two years I think Pestano is Cleveland's closer and we move C.Perez in a deal, especially as he gets more expensive.

agreed :cheers:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby TribeinLA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 pm

That's what I like about this thread...everyone wants and doesn't want all sorts of different people. I do not think we need Karoda, his age, nor his salary. Last night speaks for our problems itself...hell Masterson two times vs. the ChiSox speaks for our problems. Yeah, we could use an arm...who couldn't? The issue is the bats and that's not even debatable. We get in the playoffs somehow and Masterson, Tomlin, and Carrasco/Carmona looks a bit light on paper. It would be great to have a Paul Byrd or Chuck Finley on this staff. I just do not think Karoda is the man for the fit.

It's a shame that we nearly signed Bartolo Colon again and he would have been just what the doctor ordered. He'd sandwich nicely into this staff and he might even be the lead horse by now. Who's to say? The Yankees wouldn't trade him for anything we'd offer.

I play MLB2K11 sometimes and I signed Javier Vazquez and Matt Garza. It's video game land, but what about either of those two? Vazquez is the active all-time K leader. Aside from Masterson, we don't really have that high strikeout guy and Justin is really barely in that category and he throws a lot of innnings. It'd be nice to have a guy hit double-digit K's. Sabathia and Colon and Gregg Swindell are the only Indians of the last 25 years who I can think of that were consistent there. I may be leaving someone else out, but they're few and far.
TribeinLA

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:17 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: Three hottest teams on Kuroda are #Tigers, #Indians, #Rangers. #MLB

Two issues: Kuroda's NTC; LAD will want straight youth.

Get Kuroda and move Smith/RP to get a bat upgrade, could be a shot in the arm.

On another note, I wonder if Michael Bourn could be available. A Boras client, but under control for next year. I don't know what the Astros plan to do with him, as I don't know their minor league system, but good defensive CF with speed and hits for average.

Smith + Phelps for Bourn? No idea what Phelps's market value is.

Kuroda still has to be convinced to waive that no-trade clause. Someone's gonna have to pony up some extra dough to make that happen. Everything I've read says he has no desire to leave the West Coast. I guess if someone makes it worth his while....
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Ya'all still buying for this year. How cute.

More youth.

Vinny Pestano closing in 2 years? Maybe for Columbus.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 am

Ok, so let me keep my trades and do the limeup for the day after trade deadline (no Choo yet)

1. Crisp sh, cf
2. Cabrera sh, ss
3. Hafner lh, dh
4. Santana sh, 1b
5. Ludwick rh, rf
6. Brantley, lh, lf
7. Ianetta, rh, c
8. Chisenhall, lh, 3b
9. Cabrera, rh, 2b

bench:
Buck, lh, of
Marson rh, c
Hannahan rh, 3b
Kearns, rh, of

sent back: Carrera (with Crisp and Brantley, no need until roster expansion); Kipnis (still needs work and not Cabrera-like of '07 to shoulder weight on him for a postseason move)

traded: LaPorta, Phelps

LaPorta will have value for SOMEONE. I chose Colorado simply because of Helton's age, but also it would be a money-saving issue for them. The chances, I realize, are not very good because they're in the thick of it (yet they're shopping Ole Baldo?). Phelps, to me, is a no-brainer when it comes to a prospect with some value who we can give up. Also, if we swap Pestano even steven for Ludwick, I say go for it. I do not see Vinnie becoming our closer in two years. I would hope that we can afford to sign Chris and if he wants Eric Gagne-type money than he can carry his ass. He's a closer. He's very good, but he still ain't Jose Mesa nor Mike Jackson. Also, after witnessing Pestano tonight, we can only hope that San Diego wasn't watching. Or, like I said, give up Raphy or Smith. I do not want to ruin the bullpen, but we can afford, I believe, to be without one of them not named Sipp or Chris Perez.

When Choo comes back, we either send down Buck or chop Kearns. If Buck can bring any value to the table, use him as bait. He's only 27 and could be a doubles machine if he's healthy and on his game. Before nagging injuries, he was one helluva prospect.

My questions that remain:

1. What about Donald?
2. What about Kip?
3. Grady's club option and the 8.5 mil?
4. Everyone good with the rotation?
5. Does one of Hannahan and Uncle Cabs get let go before the year is over?
TribeinLA

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 am

TribeinLA wrote:I play MLB2K11 sometimes and I signed Javier Vazquez and Matt Garza. It's video game land, but what about either of those two? Vazquez is the active all-time K leader. Aside from Masterson, we don't really have that high strikeout guy and Justin is really barely in that category and he throws a lot of innnings. It'd be nice to have a guy hit double-digit K's. Sabathia and Colon and Gregg Swindell are the only Indians of the last 25 years who I can think of that were consistent there. I may be leaving someone else out, but they're few and far.

Awesome
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:03 am

gotribe31 wrote:
TribeinLA wrote:I play MLB2K11 sometimes and I signed Javier Vazquez and Matt Garza. It's video game land, but what about either of those two? Vazquez is the active all-time K leader. Aside from Masterson, we don't really have that high strikeout guy and Justin is really barely in that category and he throws a lot of innnings. It'd be nice to have a guy hit double-digit K's. Sabathia and Colon and Gregg Swindell are the only Indians of the last 25 years who I can think of that were consistent there. I may be leaving someone else out, but they're few and far.

Awesome

In MLB 10 The Show, I traded for Buster Posey and Neftali Feliz. Maybe we can do that, too.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 am

Carlos Santana is better than Buster Posey, why would we trade for that bum?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 am

pup wrote:Ya'all still buying for this year. How cute.

More youth.

That's funny coming from a guy who wanted to trade three major league pitchers for a AA 1B that scouts question his projectability. Sometimes those top 50 lists can be intoxicating. Remember, LaPorta was once rated in the top 10 of all major league prospects...
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 pm

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
#tigers have pushed for kuroda. but 1 source said he doubted he'd OK move from LA to detroit.

If he wouldn't go to Detroit, no way he comes to Cleveland. I guess I'm fine with it so long as he doesn't go to Detroit.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

Awesome

In MLB 10 The Show, I traded for Buster Posey and Neftali Feliz. Maybe we can do that, too.

In MVP 2005, Oliver Perez is an unhittable stud. LET'S GET THAT GUY!!!
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:In MVP 2005, Oliver Perez is an unhittable stud. LET'S GET THAT GUY!!!

Man, with hitter's eye, every inside fastball was a HR. I hit nothing but solo HRs, though. If I got anybody on, I'd be terrible at the plate.

Used to have the hardest time hitting Shingo Takatsu.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:52 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
pup wrote:Ya'all still buying for this year. How cute.

More youth.

That's funny coming from a guy who wanted to trade three major league pitchers for a AA 1B that scouts question his projectability. Sometimes those top 50 lists can be intoxicating. Remember, LaPorta was once rated in the top 10 of all major league prospects...

Yes. I advocate trading a #5 starter and two relievers to fill THE SINGLE LARGEST VOID IN THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION.

So they swung and missed on LaPorta so we should just avoid trying to fill THE SINGLE LARGEST VOID IN THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION.

I am a little confused. Is it the fact that he is currently on these lists that worries you or the fact he was not before the season? Is it the fact he has walked at a near even level as he has struck out this year?

Much better to trade for Ryan Ludwick. Or Coco Crisp. Or Mike Morse. Or Josh Willingham.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm not advocating any of those folks, really, but if a team that's one game out of the division trades three major league arms, including 2 outstanding relief pitchers for a one guy who may never play in the bigs, there would be 500 people at the next home game, if that.

Literally.

Right now they are taking the right approach and not panicking, even with the injury bug, but you can't throw up the white flag at the trading deadline when you are 1 game back. Part of the objective of a major league team is to attract fans to the ball-park. It's how they pay for things.

If were were 15 games under .500 and totally out of the playoff hunt, this deal for THE SINGLE LARGEST VOID IN THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION makes perfect sense, provided Arizona would do the deal. After-all, he's on three top prospect lists now. I'm sure he might net them a bit more than an iffy starter and two relief pitchers, no?
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:00 pm

I have not heard anyone speak up for LaPorta yet.

He is 26, but he is absolutely dreadful.

Is there ANYONE who wants to not use him as part of trade bait?

CC for Brantley. So far, advantage...well...Yanks.
TribeinLA

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:21 pm

TribeinLA wrote:He is 26, but he is absolutely dreadful.

You answered your own question with these two sentences.

Matt LaPorta has pretty much no trade value. You can 'upside', 'potential', 'change of scenery' all day long, but no-one's gonna give up anything of value for him. Sure, someone may take him as a throw-in in a trade, just because, maybe he can be fixed, but no GM is going to give up anything of real value for him at this point. Why would they? As you astutely pointed out, he's absolutely dreadful.

Michael Brantley, a guy many were concerned couldn't hit the ball out of the infield with authority when we got these guys has a higher OPS than LaPorta, with an almost equal slugging %. Michael Brantley!. There's just not a huge market for those kind of players.

He's like Carmona and Sizemore. They have more value to us if they can step it up and turn things around because no-one's going to give us much back for them.
Last edited by WiscTribeFan on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:23 pm

TribeinLA wrote:I have not heard anyone speak up for LaPorta yet.

He is 26, but he is absolutely dreadful.

CC for Brantley. So far, advantage...well...Yanks.

Right. Advantage Yankees. Since they signed him as a free agent and didn't give us Brantley or LaPorta.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Quit trying to hard to be a smart ass. Look at the ellipses and realize that I am talking about the Yankees getting the advantage because they signed Sabathia and not the Brewers. We got two players from Brewers for him -- one of which is LaPorta.

Like I said, advantage Yankees. Jeez. Some of you just live to try to make someone look bad on the intraweb.
TribeinLA

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Indians Willing To Deal Good Players, Take On Salary
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 26 at 5:32pm CST]

5:32pm: The Indians offered to pick up Carlos Beltran’s salary and give up a good player in return, according to Peter Gammons in a piece at MLB.com. Cleveland “did not fit,” for Beltran, who will accept and turn down trades based on which teams he expects to win, Gammons writes.

5:18pm: Indians GM Chris Antonetti told MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian that the Indians are prepared to trade quality players or add payroll if it means improving the team’s playoff chances (all Twitter links). Now one game behind the Tigers in the AL Central, Cleveland isn’t limited to minor moves this summer.

"We are willing to trade good players and we're willing to take on salary to improve the team," Antonetti said.

The GM finds it difficult to imagine parting with one of the organization’s best young players for a rental player, but he’ll consider trading top prospects if he’s presented with a “compelling deal.”

The Indians have interest in outfielders, including B.J. Upton, infielders, including Jamey Carroll, and starters, including Hiroki Kuroda.

for what its worth
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby FortheWin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 pm

SI_JonHeyman: hearing there are about 7 teams interested in ubaldo. believed to be cinc, det, nyy, bos, tex, cle, tor. #tradedeadline
DON'T QUIT
FortheWin

Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Easy to say we are willing to trade good players and take on salary.

Harder to do.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:52 pm

To be fair Heyman reported our interest in Beltran and him saying no over a week ago. This is the second report and makes me pretty positive we at least were trying. Beltran would have been the kind of move that could have made a major difference too.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:To be fair Heyman reported our interest in Beltran and him saying no over a week ago. This is the second report and makes me pretty positive we at least were trying. Beltran would have been the kind of move that could have made a major difference too.

Yeah. It's unclear whether it's a deal the Mets would've actually accepted, but the quote from Gammons makes it sound like the offer was serious enough that they asked Beltran if he would waive the NTC.

The deal Scott Boras negotiated with the Mets for Beltran includes a no-trade clause, which Boras refers to as a "ring clause," meaning that if things ground to an end in New York, Beltran had the right to choose where best to go get a ring before entering the free-agent market, and Cleveland did not fit.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 pm

So...no chance of Beltran?

Sounds like he wants to live in a big, happnin' city and not so much play ball.

And I don't want Ubaldo. Hope he's not our prime move.

Put up or shut up, Ant. After tonight, have you had enough of watching us piss away winnable games?
TribeinLA

Unread postby scrambler » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 pm

This team should absolutely make zero trades...ZERO....ZERO. Do not trade any even marginal prospect. I would play seller but we have no selling pieces...only Carmona as he's been pitching well, but you won't get A prospects for him at this point and unless I get that I don't even trade him.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Well that's no fun and not happening. Sounds like we're gonna make a move in the next 48 hours.
TribeinLA

Unread postby scrambler » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:17 pm

If Ubaldo is really on the block, he is the only guy worth getting. We'd have to give up the house to get him...Kipnis, Chisenhall, White at a minimum, so we're not getting him.
scrambler

Unread postby scrambler » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 pm

scrambler wrote:If Ubaldo is really on the block, he is the only guy worth getting. We'd have to give up the house to get him...Kipnis, Chisenhall, White at a minimum, so we're not getting him.

I'm probebly exaggerating there, but no question one of those 3 along with several lower level "best" prospects. Jimenez is undoubtedly the only guy on the market I would possibly part with a top 3 prospect however. Guy is good.
scrambler

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 pm

Ubaldo Jimenez Rumors: Tuesday
By Tim Dierkes [July 26 at 9:45pm CST]

Yesterday, a Major League source close to the Ubaldo Jimenez trade talks told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the chances of a deal are "around 50/50." Here's the latest on the Rockies' ace, with the newest info up top...

The Yankees and Red Sox called the Rockies about Jimenez today, according to MLB.com’s Thomas Harding. Talks with the Reds appear to be further along, though the Rockies appear to be asking for Travis Wood, Bailey and either Chapman or Mesoraco. The Rockies won’t lower their asking price, Harding reports. The Reds haven't said no yet, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post (on Twitter). Until they do, there's a slim chance a deal will occur.
Sources tell Dan Knobler of CBSSports.com that the team with the best chance to trade for Jimenez is the Yankees (Twitter link). The Blue Jays are considered a "real longshot at best."
About seven teams are interested in Jimenez, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com who names the Reds, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Indians and Blue Jays (on Twitter).
The Blue Jays "legitimately want" Jimenez, according an executive who spoke to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark (on Twitter).
The Rockies have asked the Reds about Homer Bailey, tweets Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post. Earlier, Renck wrote that "chances remain slim" of a Jimenez trade. He said the Rockies "continue to listen and negotiate with multiple teams regarding Jimenez, with the Reds receiving the most attention," but in general Colorado's demands are so high that no team is expected to bite. Renck said the Rockies have asked the Reds for Devin Mesoraco, Aroldis Chapman, and Chris Heisey, among others. In an email exchange with MLBTR, Renck clarified that the Rockies asked for Mesoraco and Chapman together while Heisey is simply another name that has come up in talks. Both Mesoraco and Chapman appear to be untouchable.
The feeling from executives is that the Rockies want to find a trade for Jimenez, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The Yankees, Red Sox, and Reds are calling, and the Blue Jays kicked the tires.
The price on Jimenez hasn't dropped at all, writes ESPN's Jayson Stark. He says the Rockies require "three sure-thing young players, including one pitcher who goes into their rotation immediately." One executive who spoke with the Rockies pegs the chances of a deal at no more than 25 percent.
The Rockies "recently held a two-hour internal conference call to go over the trade alternatives" for Jimenez, writes SI's Jon Heyman.

from mlbtraderumors.com
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am

Two weeks ago - "Hey Carlos, would you accept a trade to Cleveland?" "No."
Yesterday - "We were going to pay the rest of his salary but he invoked his NTC."

Shocking. We were so close to adding payroll.

:lmfao:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:05 am

TribeinLA wrote:Quit trying to hard to be a smart ass. Look at the ellipses and realize that I am talking about the Yankees getting the advantage because they signed Sabathia and not the Brewers. We got two players from Brewers for him -- one of which is LaPorta.

Like I said, advantage Yankees. Jeez. Some of you just live to try to make someone look bad on the intraweb.

What's an ellipse?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:48 am

gotribe31 wrote:
TribeinLA wrote:Quit trying to hard to be a smart ass. Look at the ellipses and realize that I am talking about the Yankees getting the advantage because they signed Sabathia and not the Brewers. We got two players from Brewers for him -- one of which is LaPorta.

What's an ellipse?

... <-- ellipses
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

What's an ellipse?

... <-- ellipses

I'm still...confused
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:10 am

It is just three periods...

Kinda think the body language of someone really smug after they finish, in their mind, a profound thought.

;-) ;) :wink:

or...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Indians Remain Aggressive
By Tim Dierkes [July 27 at 10:27am CST]
The Indians remain aggressive after their failed run at Carlos Beltran, tweets Yahoo's Jeff Passan. Passan says the Indians are "trying to move on" Colby Rasmus, B.J. Upton, and Hiroki Kuroda.

Though a deal was never presented to Beltran, the Indians offered to pick up all of his contract and send a good player to the Mets, reported MLB.com's Peter Gammons yesterday. Rasmus, meanwhile, may be headed elsewhere.

Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Well Rasmus and looks like Beltran are off the market.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

What's an ellipse?

... <-- ellipses

I'm still...confused

Pay no attention to the man behind the 'stache. An ellipse is:

Kind like a baseball if TribeinLA or rebel were sitting on it. ;-) ;) :wink:
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby scrambler » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Please do nothing at all.
scrambler

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:45 pm

scrambler wrote:Please do nothing at all.

This. The best move is no move.

I wish I thought we were good enough right now to justify a move. But I don't. Not now. Maybe one more offseason and a year older for the young guys.

But now is not the time to go all in or rent a player.

Unless Jeff franceour is available. :dingle:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Sell.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby scott » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Govbarney wrote:

Sell.

There isn't anything to sell. Plenty of relievers available out there. Tribe won't get value there.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Sell what?
TribeinLA

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB