Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Buck sent down. Duncan recalled

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Buck sent down. Duncan recalled

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Per Paul Hoynes on Twitter: Look for Shelley Duncan to rejoin #Indians on Friday in SF. Travis Buck optioned to Class AAA Columbus on Thursday.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Re: Buck sent down. Duncan recalled

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Shelley's a much higher quality PH then Buck is. He's seriously batting .571 as a PH. With the move to the NL parks, this makes complete sense to give a bat of the bench.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Bigfist » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:12 pm

I was hoping to see Kearns DFA'd. Guess that means we might see Kearns in the OF against some left handed starters on this trip.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:48 pm

fairvis wrote:Shelley's a much higher quality PH then Buck is. He's seriously batting .571 as a PH. With the move to the NL parks, this makes complete sense to give a bat of the bench.

Especially when you consider that Hafner is your left handed PH for the duration of the trip. I think if Kearns doesn't do much this trip, they'll recall Buck and DFA him when we get back home.

Based on some of the reaction when Sloth was demoted, the locker room didn't take it real well. He seems like an awesome teammate, very excitable. I think that holds more value than what Kearns provides as a better defensive option at this point.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm

All I thought of when I saw that was poor Buck must be thinking "I finally get two hits and now THIS?". But from an inter-league position it makes sense.

skatingtripods wrote:...I think if Kearns doesn't do much this trip, they'll recall Buck and DFA him when we get back home.....

Agreed. But you have to think that eventually Duncan runs out of his nine baseball lives and they bring up one of the young pups from Cols to try up here.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Science and probablities aside, get KEARNS GONE!

What are the chances will see Ezequial Carerra again?
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:26 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
fairvis wrote:Shelley's a much higher quality PH then Buck is. He's seriously batting .571 as a PH. With the move to the NL parks, this makes complete sense to give a bat of the bench.

Especially when you consider that Hafner is your left handed PH for the duration of the trip. I think if Kearns doesn't do much this trip, they'll recall Buck and DFA him when we get back home.

Based on some of the reaction when Sloth was demoted, the locker room didn't take it real well. He seems like an awesome teammate, very excitable. I think that holds more value than what Kearns provides as a better defensive option at this point.

The good news IS that he's a good lockeroom guy, and a good teammate.

The bad news is that's the reason he's still in the league.

If you need a pinch hit, and you're at the point in the game where the opposition has a reliever that has zero command of any type of secondary pitch, then, by all means, throw the guy up there.

Against someone who has a semblance of how to pitch, well, he's an out. Which, is in a nutshell why he blows.

Not saying it's a bad move, but it's in the same category as OCab. Some people like "The Vet" and the qualities he brings. I'd rather have a guy that can actually play.

FWIW I'd much rather see Travis Buck get the at bats over Duncan or Kearns. Perhaps he stays healthy and starts to become a viable player. The ship has sailed on Duncan in this regard.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:51 pm

O Cab needs to take a Trot Nixon role. Play 1 of every 4 days or so. I am not a big fan, even with La Porta out, of switching him and Hannahan. Keep Marson in and let Santana have 1/5 starts at c and when that happens, let O cab play 2nd and give Phelps a rest.

By July, the lineup should be, on a consistent basis:

1. Sizemore cf
2. Brantley, lf
3. Cabrera, ss
4. Hafner, dh
5. Choo, rf
6. Santana, ib
7. Phelps, 2b
8. Hannahan, 3b
9. Marson, c

bench:

Duncan 1b/dh/lf
Cabrera 2b/3b
Everett 3b (doubt he is around, but for now I will put him in here)
Buck lf/dh/1b

No room for Kearns. If there is, Buck stays down in Columbus and is recalled if another injury to Hafner occurs, which would let Sloth and Santana platoon at 1b. Carrera has to be considered in the mix, too. We could use him, but we do not need three cf's on the team. Overall, I like that several players could move up and play another position. Buck, for instance, can be called upon if Marson were hurt and Sloth wasn't everyday material...and of course, La Porta still on DL (but near the end). Lotta versatility here. Gone are the says when Alvarao Espinoza being able to play two positions was our idea of versatility.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:43 pm

thank god :nanner: :nanner:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:28 pm

What the fuck? Why Buck? Why not Kearns? Good lord I dont get this one at all. Buck at least still has some potential, and hes left-handed. Now we got two RH's on the bench......oh boy I dont like this. Buck got the raw end imo. Kearns should have been sent packing two seconds after that Rockies game the other night.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 am

^ must not realize the entire team hits LH.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am

leadpipe wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

The good news IS that he's a good lockeroom guy, and a good teammate.

The bad news is that's the reason he's still in the league.

If you need a pinch hit, and you're at the point in the game where the opposition has a reliever that has zero command of any type of secondary pitch, then, by all means, throw the guy up there.

Against someone who has a semblance of how to pitch, well, he's an out. Which, is in a nutshell why he blows.

Not saying it's a bad move, but it's in the same category as OCab. Some people like "The Vet" and the qualities he brings. I'd rather have a guy that can actually play.

FWIW I'd much rather see Travis Buck get the at bats over Duncan or Kearns. Perhaps he stays healthy and starts to become a viable player. The ship has sailed on Duncan in this regard.

I love those locker room leaders. But I agree with Lead: they're better when they're not pathetic. Shelley Duncan ain't the only nice guy in the organization or in baseball. Can't we find one that doesn't blow?

By the way, I believe the Indians have to do something with Nick Johnson by July 1st. If he's healthy he'll be the guy brought back and not Travis Buck.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB