Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Jon Nunnally Out as Hitting Coach

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Jon Nunnally Out as Hitting Coach

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:19 am

To be replaced by Bruce Fields. Effective immediately, per a lot of sources on Twitter.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Jon Nunnally Out as Hitting Coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:21 am

:lmfao:

God Speed Bruce Fields. I'm sure under you Hannahan and Marson will turn it all around.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Nunnally refused to give back the raise he received when the Indians were among the leaders in runs scored. So they fired him.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby statmasta » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:37 pm

peeker643 wrote::lmfao:

God Speed Bruce Fields. I'm sure under you Hannahan and Marson will turn it all around.

Yes, this is to turn them around. It's all about Hannahan and Marson.

It's not about Choo, Santana, and Sizemore at all. It's because Nunnally didn't turn Lou Marson into Johnny Bench.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Long overdue. Where can I buy my playoff tickets. This one's in the bag fellas.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 pm

And I'm with you Statmasta. It will be a long time before I forgive Nunnally for ruining Choo, Santana, and Sizemore the way he did.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Well it seems all 3 guys are starting to pick it up.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm

statmasta wrote:
peeker643 wrote::lmfao:

Yes, this is to turn them around. It's all about Hannahan and Marson.

It's not about Choo, Santana, and Sizemore at all. It's because Nunnally didn't turn Lou Marson into Johnny Bench.

No doubt.

Sizemore was created by Shelton, ruined by Shelton and then injured under Nunnally.

Choo was horseshit under Nunnally last year too.

Santana was awesome for 20 games under Nunnally and then ruined by him.

Yes- it's all about Nunnally. Probably the same guy caused Choo to take ridiculous routes to baseballs as well. Probably was drinking next to him that night Choo blew a two.

I'd bet he completely ignored Asdrubal & Brantley and concentrated on fucking up Choo and Santana.

You want to argue some guys needed a different voice then that's fine. But if you don't think that voice says the same basic things then once again you need to remove your head from your ass and take a breath.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:12 pm

The Firing of the Hitting Coach officially signifies the summer months are upon us.

I swear these guys are recycled and assigned teams every year.

And no, I'm not saying he was a difference maker or even effective. I'm saying none of them are better than the other.

The move did not sit well with outfielder Shin-Soo Choo, whose season-long struggles likely were a big part of management's decision.

"I don't know what's going on around here," said Choo, a .297 career hitter batting only .237.

"We're still in first place," Choo added. "Why is he fired? I am very disappointed because he helped me a lot. Not just me, everybody on the team."

Asdrubal Cabrera said Nunnally helped him get off to a hot start. The shortstop hit .301 with 12 homers and 43 RBIs in his first 69 games this year. In 387 career games entering 2011, he had 18 homers.

"He showed me a couple things, gave me some tips," Cabrera said. "He was very helpful."

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:16 pm

As I said on Twitter, Luis Isaac's in a remote location at a taqueria in Central America, with a margarita in one hand and a bottle of hot sauce in the other muttering to himself, "How could I fix Juan Rincon and Brendan Donnelly?" Granted, he was muttering in Spanish, but Google Translator isn't very good.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 pm

skatingtripods wrote:As I said on Twitter, Luis Isaac's in a remote location at a taqueria in Central America, with a margarita in one hand and a bottle of hot sauce in the other muttering to himself, "How could I fix Juan Rincon and Brendan Donnelly?" Granted, he was muttering in Spanish, but Google Translator isn't very good.

This post is simply excellent.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:30 pm

These guys should just end up getting reassigned in the org as opposed to fired.

Firing them infers they're not doing their jobs. Unless they sleep in meetings, don't come to the park or are banging Manny's wife, they're doing their job.

It's just that their job is by and large meaningless.

Like I said, I understand the 'new voice' thing. It's the same philosophy as taking a ten yr-old to a hitting instructor who says the exact same thing as the kid's dad.

Anyone thinking differently is kidding himmself and needs to explain why AsCab and Brantley are going on Nunnally's resume while Choo and Santana are going down as his cause of death.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:These guys should just end up getting reassigned in the org as opposed to fired.

Firing them infers they're not doing their jobs. Unless they sleep in meetings, don't come to the park or are banging Manny's wife, they're doing their job.

Like I said, I understand the 'new voice' thing. It's the same philosophy as taking a ten yr-old to a hitting instructor who says the exact same thing as the kid's dad.

Anyone thinking differently is kidding himmself and needs to explain why AsCab and Brantley are going on Nunnally's resume while Choo and Santana are going down as his cause of death.

Dude, have you seen what Fields has done with Cord Phelps? I heard he told him to "Look it in" and "Keep your eye on the ball." Kid can't make an out.

So much better than a guy like Nunnally....or Shelton..yeah, especially Shelton who was the reason poor hitters sucked here, but wasn't the reason good hitters hit in Tampa Bay apparently.....or something like that.

And, by the way, not a one person on these boards would know who Bruce Fields was if he came up and grabbed ya by the jimmie.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:58 pm

leadpipe wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
So much better than a guy like Nunnally....or Shelton..yeah, especially Shelton who was the reason poor hitters sucked here, but wasn't the reason good hitters hit in Tampa Bay apparently.....or something like that.

And, by the way, not a one person on these boards would know who Bruce Fields was if he came up and grabbed ya by the jimmie.

Don't tease me like that LP

Anyone who knows baseball knows that it was the spirit of Bruce Fields (who wasn't actually on the bench) that was responsible for Cord's home run tonight, despite Shapiros best efforts to ruin the whole thing.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Bigfist » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:51 pm

I thought it was a bit odd that Acta mentioned this goes back to last year. If so..why bring Nunnally back this year? Why not let him go in the off season?
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 am

leadpipe wrote:
peeker643 wrote:These guys should just end up getting reassigned in the org as opposed to fired.

Not quite. He managed the Mud Hens for a few years. Quite familiar with the guy.

Not that his job matters. I think pitching coaches matter a little bit. Hitting coaches rank in importance just above the senior citizens they put in the batting helmets down the baselines in Tampa.

If firing Nunnally pissed off Choo, that may have been exactly what the Indians wanted to do. I'm starting to tire of Choo's entire act. When you hire Boras, you've said all you need to say about yourself. I'd just wish Choo would increase his value for a trade this offseason, and do it in a hurry.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:48 am

Not quite. He managed the Mud Hens for a few years. Quite familiar with the guy.

"Let me think it over, will you Manny? I've got a guy on the other line about some whitewalls, I'll talk to you later."
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB