Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am

They've decided to confer gold glove awards a bit early and when it came to short stop this happened

Shortstop: Alcides Escobar, Royals

Metric consensus: 1. Troy Tulowitzki; 2. Alex Gonzalez; 3. Escobar.

Escobar has great range to his right, with an amazing cannon from deep in the hole. And he needs to be spectacular, because his hitting is bordering on unacceptable -- .227/.260/.270. OK, that is unacceptable. Tulo is like Cal Ripken: He might not look flashy and his powerful arm allows him to play a step or two deeper than other guys. The metrics back up his outstanding reputation. Elvis Andrus also ranks high, although his 13 errors indicate lapses in concentration.

Overrated: Asdrubal Cabrera. A consensus rating here: They all agree he has below-average range.



And then when they came to RF THIS happened

Right Field: Shin-Soo Choo, Indians


LOL what a bunch of tards. If the A-Cab comment wasn't bad enough giving the RF award to Choo is a clear indication that they do not watch the teams outside the north east of America.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9154
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Pardubice, Czech Republic
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby Lokais » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:45 am

I had to comment on that. Especially since his first line was "I watch a lot of baseball."
Lokais
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:25 pm

UZR actually shows Cabrera to be the worst SS in the entire AL and 2nd worst in the game, only ahead of Ryan Theriot. He's short, fat, and doesn't run very fast = no range. Before you get all over me, it doesn't factor in flashiness of plays to cloud homer-judgement.
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby statmasta » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:20 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:UZR actually shows Cabrera to be the worst SS in the entire AL and 2nd worst in the game, only ahead of Ryan Theriot. He's short, fat, and doesn't run very fast = no range. Before you get all over me, it doesn't factor in flashiness of plays to cloud homer-judgement.

UZR is also an immensely flawed stat.

Now, he doesn't have great range, but he doesn't have the worst range in the league. You really think Jhonny Peralta has better range than Asdrubal?
User avatar
statmasta
 
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Good Hannahands range to his left really helps cover Droobs inability to go right. Cabrera is pretty good going left tho. If we can sign Lindor and fast track him (still likely at least 3 years) i could see moving Droobs to 3B or 2B in the future.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:57 pm

statmasta wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:UZR actually shows Cabrera to be the worst SS in the entire AL and 2nd worst in the game, only ahead of Ryan Theriot. He's short, fat, and doesn't run very fast = no range. Before you get all over me, it doesn't factor in flashiness of plays to cloud homer-judgement.

UZR is also an immensely flawed stat.

Now, he doesn't have great range, but he doesn't have the worst range in the league. You really think Jhonny Peralta has better range than Asdrubal?


UZR is flawed for sure, but it's what we have. And since I haven't watched other SS play much other than highlights and what other peoples opinions of them are, UZR and its ilk are what I have to go on.

I'm skeptical that Asdrubal is rated the worst SS in the league by these stats, but I have no reason to think that he's the best, or anywhere near the best.

BP, your post is EXACTLY why he's listed as overrated. He's average at best and there are people that consider him a gold glover based on, well, nothing in particular.

As far as Choo goes, he sure takes some crazy routes to balls and has some adventures out there. But damn does that due have a hose. Is it enough to make up for his routes? Hell..I don't know.

hjsdk
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
statmasta wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:UZR actually shows Cabrera to be the worst SS in the entire AL and 2nd worst in the game, only ahead of Ryan Theriot. He's short, fat, and doesn't run very fast = no range. Before you get all over me, it doesn't factor in flashiness of plays to cloud homer-judgement.

UZR is also an immensely flawed stat.

Now, he doesn't have great range, but he doesn't have the worst range in the league. You really think Jhonny Peralta has better range than Asdrubal?


UZR is flawed for sure, but it's what we have. And since I haven't watched other SS play much other than highlights and what other peoples opinions of them are, UZR and its ilk are what I have to go on.

I'm skeptical that Asdrubal is rated the worst SS in the league by these stats, but I have no reason to think that he's the best, or anywhere near the best.

BP, your post is EXACTLY why he's listed as overrated. He's average at best and there are people that consider him a gold glover based on, well, nothing in particular.

As far as Choo goes, he sure takes some crazy routes to balls and has some adventures out there. But damn does that due have a hose. Is it enough to make up for his routes? Hell..I don't know.

hjsdk


Because he makes highlight reel plays. Doesn't mean he's a great defender though.
User avatar
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:31 pm

What the hell? Did someone just call Droobs fat? Jesus man.

Droobs is a very good defender, hes not Omar, but hes about a million times better than Baby Face.
User avatar
Symbolic47
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: Transplanted to Oregon
Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:49 am

motherscratcher wrote:
statmasta wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:UZR actually shows Cabrera to be the worst SS in the entire AL and 2nd worst in the game, only ahead of Ryan Theriot. He's short, fat, and doesn't run very fast = no range. Before you get all over me, it doesn't factor in flashiness of plays to cloud homer-judgement.

UZR is also an immensely flawed stat.

Now, he doesn't have great range, but he doesn't have the worst range in the league. You really think Jhonny Peralta has better range than Asdrubal?




BP, your post is EXACTLY why he's listed as overrated. He's average at best and there are people that consider him a gold glover based on, well, nothing in particular.

As far as Choo goes, he sure takes some crazy routes to balls and has some adventures out there. But damn does that due have a hose. Is it enough to make up for his routes? Hell..I don't know.

hjsdk


A bit contradictory here. You say ESPN is right in its assertion that A-Cab is over-rated because he has poor range and that a few flashy plays don't make up for this deficiency.

However you acknowledge that Choo is a poor fielder and doesn't play the ball well but you then allude to the fact his bionic arm somewhat makes up for it and therefore ESPN is supported in its bizarre conclusion that Choo is the best RFer in the league.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
User avatar
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!
 
Posts: 9154
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Pardubice, Czech Republic
Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 am

The point I was making was that the fact that people consider Asdrubal (who I love) a gold glove caliber fielder when he so clearly is not, is pretty much the definition of overrated.

As for Choo, nowhere did I say that ESPN is justified in calling him the best RF. I acknowledged his poor routes and overall buffoonery out there. And I'm pretty sure I said that "I don't know" how much his strong arm makes up fornhis oth defensive inefficiencies. I guess I could have been more clear on that.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Those geniuses at ESPN have done it again

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am

However you acknowledge that Choo is a poor fielder and doesn't play the ball well but you then allude to the fact his bionic arm somewhat makes up for it and therefore ESPN is supported in its bizarre conclusion that Choo is the best RFer in the league.



Looking again at UZR, Choo is rated as either the best or 2nd best RF in the AL. His routes might not be great every time but his quickness and first-step give him great range and the all the assists more than offset the seldom brain-fart in route running.
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests