Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Astros to the AL?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Astros to the AL?

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:58 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Astros to the AL?

Unread postby FortheWin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 pm

It would probably be Milwaukee back to the AL
DON'T QUIT
FortheWin

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 pm

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.

Five at-large playoff spots. What this is all about, I'm pretty sure, is minimizing the chances of the Yankees or Red Sox not making the playoffs.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Stupid idea.

Just about everyone agrees we need less interleague play, not constant interleague play.

Aren't there more important things to worry about right now?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:18 pm

I looks like moving more than one team from NL to AL. Tampa Bay becoming a NL team? Astros AND Rockies moving to the AL? What the heck, someone toss up all the names in the air and grab them on the way down? Besides, maybe Selig likes interleague play but I've had my fill of it. I'm one of those rare old birds who actually liked seeing a pitcher make a difference in his game. BTW, Cliff Lee got two hits today.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Eckersley » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 am

Pressrunnr wrote:
According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.

Five at-large playoff spots. What this is all about, I'm pretty sure, is minimizing the chances of the Yankees or Red Sox not making the playoffs.

I think you're spot on. As if the deck isn't already stacked enough in their favor.
No other major sport caters to a few select teams like MLB does.

Selig does everything within his power to give these 2 a free ticket into the playoffs each year, then talks about parity whenever the cameras are on & wonders why fans arewn't showing up in small market cities. Great sport...rigged system.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:20 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Why not divide the teams up like the NBA and NHL do? East and West, and smaller regional divisions. Eliminate the DH.

I need a break from homework, what the hell...

Northeast
Boston
NYY
NYM
Toronto
Baltimore
Phily
Washington

Central
Cleveland
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Atlanta
Florida
Tampa Bay
St Louis

Midwest
ChiSox
Cubs
KC
Minnesota
Texas
Milwaukee
Houston

Pacific
Seattle
Anaheim
Oakland
San Francisco
Arizona
LA
San Diego
Colorado
Spin

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:30 pm

I don't like interleague either but as long as it doesn't increase the number of overall games, I'd rather have 2-3 series per weekend for the whole season than the glut of games in June and July. The Astros are a random selection but whatever, they even out the division sizes and utilize the Texas market better. I'd rather have Milwaukee come back but then you'd be giving a brutal travel schedule to whichever current Central team that moves to the West.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:37 pm

In fact, I think the Astros' prospective move to the AL is being negotiated by these guys:
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:40 pm

I guess I can live with it either way. There are ood and bad things about the idea.

As long as they keep the DH. I like the DH. Should be in both leagues.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:11 am

Interesting ... from Buster Olney

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

A source who has been briefed on the specifics of the labor discussions says that the players' union has indicated that it is open to the idea of two 15-team leagues, but that the whole plan still hasn't been talked through or presented to the owners.

Sources say the talks are serious, and while one executive believes the odds of change are less than 50-50, another says this is the type of discussion that can gather momentum and become a reality.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:24 am

So it's all a bargaining chip in the negotiations...
Spin

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Why hasn't there been any expansion/contraction talks?

I always felt that the 30-team MLB was always temporary before adding 2 teams (from the list of Vegas, Nashville, Portland, or Raleigh-Durham, emerging markets with strong fan support for AAA teams) to go to 32, and a full 16 teams per league. In that, you may have another realignment to 4-team pods in the divisions, which would cause more headaches...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 pm

fairvis wrote:Why hasn't there been any expansion/contraction talks?

Because there's no currently chance of successfully extorting a new stadium from public tax dollars.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Pressrunnr wrote:

In my best Mike D'Amato voice: "Are you kiddin' me!?" In one bold stroke you've put a bullet in any meaningful September baseball - or any meaningful regular season baseball to begin with and cut another hole in the floor under the smaller markets. Which probably means in all likelihood you'll sooner rather than later have a full 16-team postseason complete with the newly rechristened Early Winter Classic. MLB, its faaaaaaaaaan-tastic.

Realignment and more interleague I can live with. Less so with another pair of postseason teams, but whatever. Killing the divisions? That's not a good sign at all.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:07 pm

fairvis wrote:Why hasn't there been any expansion/contraction talks?

I always felt that the 30-team MLB was always temporary before adding 2 teams (from the list of Vegas, Nashville, Portland, or Raleigh-Durham, emerging markets with strong fan support for AAA teams) to go to 32, and a full 16 teams per league. In that, you may have another realignment to 4-team pods in the divisions, which would cause more headaches...

No expansion while the economy is contracting, IMO. And also IMO 4-team pods shouldn't cause more headaches. If I was Bud Selig (and thank God for it that I'm not!) I'd suggest keeping both leagues. The NL stands pat with its 16 teams. The two new teams go to the AL - let the cities duke it out. THEN each league is reshuffled into four divisions. The top team from each division goes into the playoffs (of course in my play NY or Bahstun are OUT BwaHaHa!). First round a five-game elimination; second round seven. Then the WS. Perhaps this way they won't be playing baseball in the snow in November.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

I rest my case: It's all about making sure the Red Sox and Yankees make the playoffs

BC-BBA--Francona-Realignment, 1st Ld-Writethru,0334
Francona thinks realignment proposal has merit
Eds: Updates with details, quotes.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona thinks a potential realignment plan has some merit.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

It would have merit if the leagues were reshuffled and separated into haves and have-nots.

Maybe reshuffle every year according to payroll.

They could still all play each other.

Selig has always said he is concerned about the smaller markets.

Won't happen, but how can he promote an upheaval and not address that?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB