Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Phelps vs Kipnis

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Phelps vs Kipnis

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:52 pm

With all the OCab hate going around I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Is there a specific reason why Phelps is preferred over Kipnis? I've never actually seen either play so I don't know who is superior defensively but hitting wise their stats are pretty close.

Phelps is a switch hitter but most of his HR and RBI have come against Righties. AVG seems to be pretty solid nonetheless. Check out the splits below.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t445&t=p_pbp&pid=543647
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Re: Phelps vs Kipnis

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Both are average to slightly above average defensively at 2B. Phelps is preferred over Kip at this time simply because he has more AAA experience. Kip is a better long term prospect, but I'd like to see Phelps get the first shot this season.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Its actually pretty simple RIGHT NOW. Next season its get much cloudier. But Phelps is clearly the guy for this year. Hes got more experience at AAA, is producing at a high level and has nothing left to prove in Columbus(unlike Kipnis)

Phelps profiles as a pretty good hitter in my opinion. Hes gonna hit for a good average with above average pop for a MIF. Hes not a wizard with a glove(but neither is OCAB). But he should be good enough with the rest of the guys playing superb D in the infield.

Kipnis seems to have a higher upside as a hitter, but how much is left to be seen. They both seem about equal with the glove from the little Ive seen them in person. Again, not like OCAB is playing GG caliber D so no loss there. BUT, we need to keep OCAB on the team this season. He should play about 4-5 times a week as the UIF taking AE's job. This should happen ASAP. But again Im just a fan(albeit played the game a long time)
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Ok heres some more info on Phelps.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... elps001rob

The kid is flat raking. Seems hes been splitting time at 2nd and short. Notice his defensive stats, he has a perfect F% at 2nd thus far. Granted its a small sample size, but its pretty obvious he can at least handle the duty in the field. At least from my perspective. After watching Ocab and Everett boot balls all over Toronto I really want to see this kid very soon. Hes just very impressive. Personally I think hes starter material, and has a much higher upside than alot of people give him credit for. Just my two cents gentleman.

Also heres something ugly-
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... -bat.shtml

Ocab has an OBP of .286! Its his lowest since 2000 with the friggin Expos. Something has gotta give here.
Symbolic47

Unread postby statmasta » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

What in the world is up with Phelps' K numbers? From 68 Ks in 119 games last year to 51 Ks in 49 games this year.

That's a huge jump. WTF
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 pm

statmasta wrote:What in the world is up with Phelps' K numbers? From 68 Ks in 119 games last year to 51 Ks in 49 games this year.

That's a huge jump. WTF

Good catch. I actually didnt notice that. Everything else just looks so good, I guess it was easy to overlook. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues.
Symbolic47

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:26 pm

statmasta wrote:What in the world is up with Phelps' K numbers? From 68 Ks in 119 games last year to 51 Ks in 49 games this year.

That's a huge jump. WTF

His walk rate is down in May as well. He's hitting for more power too. It's an acceptable tradeoff as far as I'm concerned. His swing has been evolving from the "Stanford swing" ever since his first year in pro ball. It's not horribly bad, it's just different.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Stick with Jolbert's little brother for a couple more months before leaaping to Phelps. At least the all star break.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 pm

scrambler wrote:Stick with Jolbert's little brother for a couple more months before leaaping to Phelps. At least the all star break.

That's not funny.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
scrambler wrote:Stick with Jolbert's little brother for a couple more months before leaaping to Phelps. At least the all star break.

That's not funny.

Jolbert's little bro is a witch. 6 post seasons the last 7 years with 5 different teams. If his average drops to .195 by mid July, cut the chord, while go to the Kord or something like that.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Regardless I dont want them to cut O-Cab. I dont care if AE has to file for unemployment, O-Cab has made an impact in the clubhouse. And needs to stick around till the end in the utility role. Even though Everett might fit the role better. Just my opinion of course.
Symbolic47

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:53 pm

There is a lot to be said for messing with the clubhouse makeup, especially if O-Cab is as respected as it seems.

If the Tribe starts to falter or drop out of contention, I see him being moved or let go, but not before hand. They aren't going to mess with success, not this early.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 am

O-Cab's not going anywhere.

What about this guy as an Adam Everett upgrade? Just cut by the Astros ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/699 ... HqwfGFCLcF
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:21 am

OCab's splits:

Against left-handed pitching: .327/.864
Against righties: .227/.505

We need his bat against lefties, especially since most of the Tribe's better hitters are left-handed.

Phelps vs. righties at AAA: .318/.964

It's so obvious it's ridiculous - platoon them. OCab is too old to play 156 games anyway. The only reason I can think of why this hasn't been done already is the Tribe is doesn't want to burn a year of control over Phelps by bringing him up too early in the season.

But things are starting to go south and it's time to make a move. The Indians are going up against lefties today and tomorrow, and if they lose both games and end up getting swept four straight at home while failing to score runs against left-handed pitching, the pressure will be on to do something. Bringing up Phelps and releasing Everett is the obvious move.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 am

They don't want to bring Phelps up to be a platoon player. When he gets here, he's going to play every day.

Makes sense on paper, but I can't think of the last time a team brought up one of their top prospects to be a platoon player.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:49 am

This year is different. The Indians are contending for a playoff spot. Player development has to take a back seat. They probably didn't plan on bringing White up this soon but when Talbot got hurt they had to do it.

Besides, Phelps would be playing about 75% of the time since he would be in the lineup against right-handers. You could also put him at short occasionally to spell ACab since he's playing short at Columbus now. The question would be who plays 3rd when Hanny needs a break or tweaks something like last night. OCab? Phelps? Neither of them has much experience at the hot corner.

Bringing up Phelps would also ease the infield logjam at Columbus. Goedert and Jason Donald are coming off the DL and are ready to play. Kipnis, Phelps, Chiz, Josh Rodriguez, and Valbuena are already there. They've had to start playing JRod and Val in the OF just to get them in the game.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:51 pm

swerb wrote:O-Cab's not going anywhere.

What about this guy as an Adam Everett upgrade? Just cut by the Astros ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/699 ... HqwfGFCLcF

You serious, Clark?
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB