Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Postponement games

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Postponement games

Unread postby CURS1004 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Two questions:

How important can these 3 postponed games be if we are close to winning the A.L Central?

I've been gone long enough and hopefully allowed some tensions to smooth over and want to know is it time for a group :group: or as my wife says :tool: for attempting to post with this group, stick with the PD posters.
CURS1004

Favorite Player: Vinnie Pestano
Least Favorite Player: None

Re: Postponement games

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 29, 2011 1:16 pm

They're huge. So is missing out on off days. But, if we're still in the thick of it, they're magnified now because of the loss of White and the potential ineffectiveness of Talbot. Our starting depth has seemingly taken a hit, though McAllister's tremendous AAA season to date is cause for optimism.

On the previous tensions, you just had a personal stake in the discussion and it's always tough to see both sides, your perspective and those of the other posters. Your boy's been excellent so far and I hope it continues. My suggestion would just be to try and keep as much objectivity as you can whenever you get involved in a discussion and there shouldn't be any further issue.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby CURS1004 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Thank you and I most certainly will, I'm not someone that has followed the game as much as the posters on this forum but do hope that some of the AAA guys get a chance sooner than later such as Phelps, Chisenhall and McAllister. Wouldn't mind seeing either Carrasco or Talbot move to the pen and allwo McAllister to get a shot to see if he can help
CURS1004

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 29, 2011 1:36 pm

I think the makup games will make it that much tougher on the Tribe. The only thing I can say is that possibly the FO will go out toward the trade deadline and get another arm for the rotation, if necessary, which might help.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Pomeranz get a spot start there. I just can't wait to get a look at that guy.

As far as Vinnie goes, love what he's doing. Love that guy. I always feel good when he's trotting toward the mound. The whole Bully has been awesome this year.

I'd like your thoughts on the best nickname. I'm partial to Pasta Vinnie, but I like ridiculous nonsensical nicknames. Like "The Baconator" for Weglarz, "Flapjacks McGoo" for Durbin, and "Pudding Jones" for Brantley. Unsurprisingly, these don't seem to be catching on.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FortheWin » Sun May 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Who are the makeup games against? The Mariners twice and who else?
The tribe will probably move Talbot to the bullpen to make room for McAllister.

Pomeranz won't be up this year. I'm saying 90% chance he'll be up next year.
DON'T QUIT
FortheWin

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm not saying that Pom will be called up and inserted into the rotation. It's a possibility (everything is a possibility) but I really doubt it.

What I mean is that the Tribe is going to need spot starts and there is a list of guys who can deliver those spot starts. Pomeranz is definitely on that list somewhere. He's probably behind Gomez, Huff, and McAllister...but he's on the list.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun May 29, 2011 2:05 pm

FortheWin wrote:Who are the makeup games against? The Mariners twice and who else?
The tribe will probably move Talbot to the bullpen to make room for McAllister.

Pomeranz won't be up this year. I'm saying 90% chance he'll be up next year.

One to be made up against the Twins too.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 29, 2011 2:08 pm

mo can you find someone to name Hoss, I've always felt that name should have lived past the life of Dan Blocker.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 29, 2011 2:12 pm

FUDU wrote:mo can you find someone to name Hoss, I've always felt that name should have lived past the life of Dan Blocker.

I'll see what I can do, but it will be tough to tag anyone as "Hoss" with Old Hoss Radbourn so popular on twitter.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 29, 2011 2:30 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
FUDU wrote:mo can you find someone to name Hoss, I've always felt that name should have lived past the life of Dan Blocker.

I'll see what I can do, but it will be tough to tag anyone as "Hoss" with Old Hoss Radbourn so popular on twitter.

Plus Hoss really does need to be saved for a fat white guy, not many of those around in the game anymore.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby CURS1004 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:52 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I think the makup games will make it that much tougher on the Tribe. The only thing I can say is that possibly the FO will go out toward the trade deadline and get another arm for the rotation, if necessary, which might help.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Pomeranz get a spot start there. I just can't wait to get a look at that guy.

As far as Vinnie goes, love what he's doing. Love that guy. I always feel good when he's trotting toward the mound. The whole Bully has been awesome this year.

I'd like your thoughts on the best nickname. I'm partial to Pasta Vinnie, but I like ridiculous nonsensical nicknames. Like "The Baconator" for Weglarz, "Flapjacks McGoo" for Durbin, and "Pudding Jones" for Brantley. Unsurprisingly, these don't seem to be catching on.

"Vinnie Bananas" or "Vinnie ha ha" or "Vinnie three fingers" or "Vinnie meathook"
CURS1004

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:22 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not saying that Pom will be called up and inserted into the rotation. It's a possibility (everything is a possibility) but I really doubt it.

What I mean is that the Tribe is going to need spot starts and there is a list of guys who can deliver those spot starts. Pomeranz is definitely on that list somewhere. He's probably behind Gomez, Huff, and McAllister...but he's on the list.

For now, he's probably behind everyone who's on the 40-man, including De La Cruz and Huff.

Also bear in mind, he's probably not going to throw any more than 150 innings this year.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:51 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not saying that Pom will be called up and inserted into the rotation. It's a possibility (everything is a possibility) but I really doubt it.

Is Andy Marte avialable? :hide:
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 am

CURS1004 wrote:Two questions:

How important can these 3 postponed games be if we are close to winning the A.L Central?

I've been gone long enough and hopefully allowed some tensions to smooth over and want to know is it time for a group :group: or as my wife says :tool: for attempting to post with this group, stick with the PD posters.

Glad you're back and congrats on Vinnie's excellent start. Looks like he got a chance despite the organization's tendencies to never go to the younger guys :hide:

Few years back I believe the Indians had to play 10 games in 7 days or some such horrific thing and it can just kill a staff. If those games are meaningful the Tribe is at a severe disadvantage.

Like I wrote yesterday though, they were 5 games up when Hafner joined Sizemore on the DL. They're 6 games up today after treading water. They need another month where their starters get hot. Masterson didn't win a ballgame in May despite all but two starts being excellent, Talbot was hurt, Carrasco getting over an injury, etc.

Hopefully they can stretch out a lead to the point where those makeup games don't kill 'em.

Be cool to see Vinny sprinting in in October against the Red Sox or Rangers ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon May 30, 2011 10:42 am

When a team has to play makeup games in the busy part of the schedule it usually involves bringing up a 6th or even 7th starter from their AAA team. However, their opponent is also playing makeup games and has to do the same thing. I think the Tribe actually will have an advantage pitting their 6th or 7th starter (Gomez or McAlister) against Seattle's AAA guys (although I admit I don't know who they are).

The other advantage the Tribe may have is if their starters are able to go deeper into games than their opponents, which will stretch the opponent's bullpen more. So far Masterson, Tomlin, and Carmona have done a decent job of consistently pitching into the 7th inning, which saves the bullpen when you have to play a lot of consecutive games with doubleheaders sprinkled in.

Hard to say for sure, but the postponed games may work to the Tribe's advantage if we can assume they have a deeper group of starters and a better bullpen than their opponents.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'd like your thoughts on the best nickname. I'm partial to Pasta Vinnie, but I like ridiculous nonsensical nicknames. Like "The Baconator" for Weglarz, "Flapjacks McGoo" for Durbin, and "Pudding Jones" for Brantley. Unsurprisingly, these don't seem to be catching on.

I like Vinnie Pestosterone
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby CURS1004 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Gentlemen thank you for your insight, in the minors it seems pretty simple to understand and follow but up here its pretty confusing with big league time among other decisions that change the make up of a team. But I am enjoying every minute of every game good or bad and I continue to learn so I hope these issues are real discussion points later in the year because the indians are leading the A.L Central.
CURS1004

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 am

CURS1004 wrote:How important can these 3 postponed games be if we are close to winning the A.L Central?

Still not holding my breath on the winning thing. The division is bad so far this year, and with the hot start, the Tribe find's themselves in the driver's seat. It's not a knock to say they have played over their heads.

If they are still over .500 after the AS break, then they can worry about missing off-days.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB