Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

5/28 Tribe @ Rays -- Shake the Dust Off Edition

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 5/28 Tribe @ Rays -- Shake the Dust Off Edition

Unread postby scrambler » Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 pm

6.0 7 2 2 1 0 4
6.0 6 4 4 2 1 3
5.1 5 2 2 0 2 5
5.0 6 4 4 0 3 2
3.0 6 2 2 0 2 1
6.1 7 3 3 0 1 4
7.0 5 3 3 1 2 5
6.0 4 1 1 0 3 6

IN essence, Carlos Carrasco gives you the same start every single game he goes out. That is what is called consistency. You can't distinguish any of them other from the other except the game he got hurt against Minny when he only went 3 and the game he came back off the DL and really even that one was a pretty typical start. We can argue about what his ceiling is until the cows come home. What we can't argue about is how incredibly consistent he has been all year.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Re: 5/28 Tribe @ Rays -- Shake the Dust Off Edition

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 29, 2011 12:54 pm

scrambler wrote:Carrasco's been fine all year. In his 6 road starts he has given up 3 runs or fewer in every one. The team is 4-2 in those road starts. His ERA is 3.48 on the road. I'm tempted to say he's been our best starting pitcher on the road this year. Haven't looked too closely though. The common thought I see on these boards is how inconsistent he's been, the facts are he has been very consistent all year. Take away his first start, and he has given up 4 runs or less in every single one of them. He consistently gives the team a chance to win games every single one of his starts.

Good points.

Consistency is relative between our two points, which I guess I could have specified mine better. You're looking at his final line. I'm talking about individual innings. Neither method is wrong, just that, Carrasco always has anywhere from 2-3 innings where the game could completely fall apart on him. From inning to inning, he is a different pitcher. Some innings, he's dominant, getting K's and weak rollers. Other innings, his command is poor and he has to navigate with runners on base.

I guess I'm just frustrated with guys who have good stuff but aren't able to utilize it to its full potential because of their command. Carrasco's one of those guys.

Probably also jaded by the fact that I've been to 2 of his 3 home stars where he has a 7.64 and 7 K/6 BB.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB