Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Posey Injured

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Posey Injured

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 am

Considering he's been the most discussed non-Indian on the board so far this spring...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/26/SPIB1JL4F0.DTL

Ouch. I didn't see the play, but from the photos and the story it looks pretty serious. Really tough loss for the Giants.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Posey Injured

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 am

It was pretty nasty. It's a play that might have drawn a fine from the NFL for "launching" at a defenseless WR. I know that it's not considered a dirty play, but man, especially as a catcher, I hate to see guys get away with that. It's the go-ahead run in the top of the 12th, I know you're doing everything you can to score that run...but it just doesn't seem fair.

At the very least, Cousins should expect to take one in the ribs. Which is more than a fair tradeoff for winning the ballgame.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 10:08 am

In the aftermath: Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Just filed a news story: Agent for Buster Posey will call MLB and raise idea of rule changes regarding collisions between runners/fielders.

Another way to compare Santana and Posey. :nanner: Both have bad leg injuries in their careers from blocking the plate.

Clean play. Ball beat the runner and there was no real chance at hook sliding around the tag. So he barreled him over. Posey's back leg got caught and bent the wrong way as he went down backwards.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 am

skatingtripods wrote:In the aftermath: Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Just filed a news story: Agent for Buster Posey will call MLB and raise idea of rule changes regarding collisions between runners/fielders.

Another way to compare Santana and Posey. Both have bad leg injuries in their careers from blocking the plate.

Clean play. Ball beat the runner and there was no real chance at hook sliding around the tag. So he barreled him over. Posey's back leg got caught and bent the wrong way as he went down backwards.

I mostly agree. He had to run him over, but he went a little above and beyond in my (admittedly biased) opinion. The full-on dive with the forearm shiver was a bit much.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 am

gotribe31 wrote:I mostly agree. He had to run him over, but he went a little above and beyond in my (admittedly biased) opinion. The full-on dive with the forearm shiver was a bit much.

How else are you supposed to run a guy over?

I know you're biased and I have no chance (or experience) in this fight, but what exactly did Cousins do wrong?

And I'll give you props because I remember when you called Santana out on Twitter for running a catcher over. So at least you're consistent.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 26, 2011 10:49 am

And there goes my fanatsy team's catcher.

Christ...... Sandoval, Ike Davis, Josh Johnson all on my DL. I'm running out of room.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15201733

He blocked the plate, Cousins tried to knock the ball loose. It was a clean baseball play as far as I'm concerned.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Eckersley » Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Unofficial report has Posey with a broken leg & torn ligaments. I feel bad for the kid & for the Giants. I hope it's not as bad as Kendry Morales.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Eckersley wrote:Unofficial report has Posey with a broken leg & torn ligaments. I feel bad for the kid & for the Giants. I hope it's not as bad as Kendry Morales.

Shit. I was hoping for a clean break with no ligaments involved. What a fucking shame. Here in Cleveland in particular, we can sypmathize.

Crazy thing is, Santana's looked so much worse in slow-mo to me.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Like I said, I just have an issue with the way he launched himself into Posey. He could have gotten to the back of the plate with a lot less contact. I'm not saying it was a dirty play, I'm not saying he should be suspended or fined, I'm just saying that he could have gotten to the plate with less contact than he initiated.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Not gonna lie, Al's NFL penalty line still has me laughing.

It's true and slices right through reality like a damned samuria sword.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 26, 2011 1:26 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Like I said, I just have an issue with the way he launched himself into Posey. He could have gotten to the back of the plate with a lot less contact. I'm not saying it was a dirty play, I'm not saying he should be suspended or fined, I'm just saying that he could have gotten to the plate with less contact than he initiated.

And been out.

In my mind either it's clean or it's not. If you opt to try to knock the ball loose, there aren't a lot of options and it's a bang-bang type of a thing.

In the image below, Posey has the ball and Cousins has committed to knocking it loose. Where else could he have gone in this play and not been out? He goes for the back of the plate with a slide, Posey's got him dead to rights.

WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu May 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Jesus. Look at how his foot is almost facing completely backwards in this shot:

Don't know if Pablo Sandoval is jumping the gun, but he says Posey's out for the season:
http://twitter.com/#!/pandoval48/status/73789108052430848
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Like I said, I just have an issue with the way he launched himself into Posey. He could have gotten to the back of the plate with a lot less contact. I'm not saying it was a dirty play, I'm not saying he should be suspended or fined, I'm just saying that he could have gotten to the plate with less contact than he initiated.

And been out.

In my mind either it's clean or it's not. If you opt to try to knock the ball loose, there aren't a lot of options and it's a bang-bang type of a thing.

In the image below, Posey has the ball and Cousins has committed to knocking it loose. Where else could he have gone in this play and not been out? He goes for the back of the plate with a slide, Posey's got him dead to rights.

Well the ball is sitting next to his foot in that picture, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 1:36 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Well the ball is sitting next to his foot in that picture, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

At full speed, the runner knows that?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 26, 2011 1:46 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Well the ball is sitting next to his foot in that picture, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

You're correct, but how would the runner know this, and where exactly where you inferring he should have tried to go in differently?

The runner has to assume the catcher has the ball. At that point it doesn't really matter, he's committed to knocking the ball loose, and Posey is facing towards him to tag him, ball or no.

There's no middle ground in terms of knocking the ball loose. You go in hard at the catcher if he's blocking the plate. He did what most major leaguers would do, and Posey would probably tell you that it was a fair shot.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:48 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Of course not.

Let me again state my point so that there's less confusion: it was not a dirty play. It was a legit baseball play. I never said otherwise. I'm simply saying that as someone who's been on the business end of more than one of those collisions, I'd like to see the runner make more of an effort to get to the plate and less of an effort to blow up the catcher. Posey was a foot in front of the plate, and if he'd caught the ball, Cousins would have likely been out. He'd have had a better chance of being safe if he'd have tried to get to the back of the plate on that play. It's really, really tough to actually dislodge the ball from the catcher if the ball beats the runner.

I'm sure you can argue that the threat of getting plowed over causes catcher's to be glancing up the line and sometimes missplay a ball, and I'd agree with that. Which is why it is a legit play. But if Cousins doesn't wear one the next time they play, I'd have a pretty serious issue with the Giants pitching staff.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Like the quote in 'Airplane'

Posey bought his ticket, he knew what he was getting into. I say, let him crash.

This is much ado about nothing.

Part of the game, wasn't evil or w/malice.

I would today absolutely choose Santana over Posey. Not even close.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cease » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm

This was discussed on TCF board last year, with many good takes, but I can't find the thread. I'm not a fan of plate collisions, and in the face of years of baseball tradition, I am looking for change.

Blowing a guy up is the move of a defeated runner who made the mistake of misjudging his own speed vs. the position of the ball in play. I don't feel he should be allowed to make up for up his mental error with career-threatening physicality against the team that got him dead to rights. That's just my own personal view of the game.

I'm not saying lay-down, I'm not saying "no contact." But, when given a lane to the plate, you should be making an approach to the plate, not the catcher. Posey doesn't have the whole line cut off. This runner could have made an an approach to the plate with an angled slide of Little League difficulty.

Tangent: If these plays remain part of the game, when do catchers start to move up off the plate, or to the first base side and go 100% swipe tag or bust?
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:I would today absolutely choose Santana over Posey. Not even close.

I almost came in and started this thread just to make that exact point last night at like 3AM.

Then I decided against being that much of a smart ass.

Good to see you don't hold yourself to the same lofty standards I hold myself to.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 26, 2011 2:11 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Of course not.

Let me again state my point so that there's less confusion: it was not a dirty play. It was a legit baseball play. I never said otherwise. I'm simply saying that as someone who's been on the business end of more than one of those collisions, I'd like to see the runner make more of an effort to get to the plate and less of an effort to blow up the catcher. Posey was a foot in front of the plate, and if he'd caught the ball, Cousins would have likely been out. He'd have had a better chance of being safe if he'd have tried to get to the back of the plate on that play. It's really, really tough to actually dislodge the ball from the catcher if the ball beats the runner.

I'm sure you can argue that the threat of getting plowed over causes catcher's to be glancing up the line and sometimes missplay a ball, and I'd agree with that. Which is why it is a legit play. But if Cousins doesn't wear one the next time they play, I'd have a pretty serious issue with the Giants pitching staff.

There was no malice to intentionally harm Posey, and it was something that everyone including you thinks was a legit baseball play, and yet you would be disappointed if the Giants don't throw at him for it? It would make the Giants look like dicks.

You protect your guys against legitimate and intentional malice, not against a freak accident.

They play today, maybe we'll find out. I'm betting against it.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Cease wrote:Blowing a guy up is the move of a defeated runner who made the mistake of misjudging his own speed vs. the position of the ball in play. I don't feel he should be allowed to make up for up his mental error with career-threatening physicality against the team that got him dead to rights. That's just my own personal view of the game

How often do you see a guy send himself? How can you accuse a runner of "misjudging his own speed" when the base coach sent him?

It only comes up when a catcher gets hurt. When the catcher holds on and both guys are fine, it's a good baseball play. I know you're stating your personal opinion, but, the only reason this is even a discussion is because Posey got hurt.

Unfortunate. But for christ sake, we can't pussify every sport. If we were going to do that, Chinese checkers and Monopoly tournaments would be televised.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm

FWIW, joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
by Buster_ESPN
Scott Cousins left 2 vm messages 4 buster Posey. Says he didn't sleep last night. "last thing I wanted 2 do was break guys leg" #Marlins
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I would today absolutely choose Santana over Posey. Not even close.

I almost came in and started this thread just to make that exact point last night at like 3AM.

Good to see you don't hold yourself to the same lofty standards I hold myself to.

Who does?

But I didn't start the thread and never even thought about starting it.

I just took the easy money that was laying there.

Good chance neither of us have such lofty standards. ;-) ;) :wink:

Actually, now that I think back on the last two months of watching Santana either jump back from anything on the inner half, swing through any breaking ball and hit about two bills over his last few hundred ABs, I might actually choose Posey even today.

:hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cease » Thu May 26, 2011 2:35 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Cease wrote:Blowing a guy up is the move of a defeated runner who made the mistake of misjudging his own speed vs. the position of the ball in play. I don't feel he should be allowed to make up for up his mental error with career-threatening physicality against the team that got him dead to rights. That's just my own personal view of the game

How often do you see a guy send himself? How can you accuse a runner of "misjudging his own speed" when the base coach sent him?

It only comes up when a catcher gets hurt. When the catcher holds on and both guys are fine, it's a good baseball play. I know you're stating your personal opinion, but, the only reason this is even a discussion is because Posey got hurt.

Unfortunate. But for christ sake, we can't pussify every sport. If we were going to do that, Chinese checkers and Monopoly tournaments would be televised.

If the coach makes that decision, it's his error. Team game, so same difference. Thankfully, I can now launch into I feel there are too many coaches in sports. Kidding... Maybe not. A topic for another thread.

Obviously, differing opinions about baseball here. To each his own, and I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think it's pussifying anything. I'd call it challenging players to be smarter and more athletic (vs. reckless) in order to achieve victory.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:

Who does?

But I didn't start the thread and never even thought about starting it.

I just took the easy money that was laying there.

Good chance neither of us have such lofty standards. ;-) ;) :wink:

Actually, now that I think back on the last two months of watching Santana either jump back from anything on the inner half, swing through any breaking ball and hit about two bills over his last few hundred ABs, I might actually choose Posey even today.

:hide:

I thought about adding that line into the OP, but didn't want to be too much of a troublemaker. :dead:

Santana either jump back from anything on the inner half

This is really the key issue. It seems like Santana has good vision for most of the strike zone (someone who walks as much as he does has to), but he can't judge balls on the inner side as well. He bails out on balls just inside, and he still flinches on strikes. I'm no hitting coach, so I don't know how you'd go about fixing it, but if you could I think he might be fine. Maybe look inside and try to pick up the ball if it's outside? Don't be afraid of getting hit if it really is coming in? I dunno.

That said, I don't think that "expanding his strike zone" is really the answer. A few games ago, one of the broadcasters (forget which one) said that Acta had encouraged him to give in with two strikes. Of course, on that at-bat Santana battled to 3-2 and then swung and missed at ball four outside, a pitch that he usually takes.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:08 pm

So if we have learned anything from the death of Buster Posey it is that Peeker is in fact that biggest trouble maker on the boards (as well as the biggest asshole).

Not that we didn't assume this previously, but now we have measurable proof taken from a controlled environment.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 26, 2011 3:14 pm

I don't think Peek is the biggest asshole.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:25 pm

No one asked you.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 pm

If he's coachable he'll get by this. If he's not then he was fucked anyway.

Teams are pounding him inside with fastballs.
He needs to recognize an inner half strike and hit that pitch before it gets to the plate and too deep on him. Might take an adjustment in stance as well so that he can keep it fair but soft stuff away and hard stuff on his hands is the book right now.
His turn to adjust and that's the adjustment. When he shows the ability to hit the pitch and keep it fair pitchers will need to adjust to him again.

Be really adviseable to let him do it somewhere around 7th in the lineup though ;-) ;) :wink: .

Jumbo wrote:Santana either jump back from anything on the inner half

This is really the key issue. It seems like Santana has good vision for most of the strike zone (someone who walks as much as he does has to), but he can't judge balls on the inner side as well. He bails out on balls just inside, and he still flinches on strikes. I'm no hitting coach, so I don't know how you'd go about fixing it, but if you could I think he might be fine. Maybe look inside and try to pick up the ball if it's outside? Don't be afraid of getting hit if it really is coming in? I dunno.

That said, I don't think that "expanding his strike zone" is really the answer. A few games ago, one of the broadcasters (forget which one) said that Acta had encouraged him to give in with two strikes. Of course, on that at-bat Santana battled to 3-2 and then swung and missed at ball four outside, a pitch that he usually takes.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So if we have learned anything from the death of Buster Posey it is that Peeker is in fact that biggest trouble maker on the boards (as well as the biggest asshole).

Not that we didn't assume this previously, but now we have measurable proof taken from a controlled environment.

Bald too. Don't forget bald.

He's a big bald asshole.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:No one asked you.

When has that ever stopped me?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 26, 2011 3:32 pm

peeker643 wrote:If he's coachable he'll get by this. If he's not then he was fucked anyway.

Teams are pounding him inside with fastballs.
He needs to recognize an inner half strike and hit that pitch before it gets to the plate and too deep on him. Might take an adjustment in stance as well so that he can keep it fair but soft stuff away and hard stuff on his hands is the book right now.
His turn to adjust and that's the adjustment. When he shows the ability to hit the pitch and keep it fair pitchers will need to adjust to him again.

Be really adviseable to let him do it somewhere around 7th in the lineup though ;-) ;) :wink: .

I've got no reason to think that a guy who's as obviously talented as this kid is won't eventually figure it out through coaching, watching tape, and swings in the cage.

What a damn shame if he doesn't, though.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

CDT- Do you think I'm the biggest asshole on the site?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 pm

I can't believe we gave up Casey Blake for this mope.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 26, 2011 3:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:

CDT- Do you think I'm the biggest asshole on the site?

No.

I think you're a high quality person with important opinions.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:38 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:So if we have learned anything from the death of Buster Posey it is that Peeker is in fact that biggest trouble maker on the boards (as well as the biggest asshole).

Bald too. Don't forget bald.

He's a big bald asshole.

Great. Fighting a war on two fronts.

Thankfully it's against Grenada and France. :lmfao:

And any more of this and I swear to Christ I'll grow a full head of hair by next Friday out of spite for the both of yinz.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu May 26, 2011 3:43 pm

The crappy thing is, Posey never even had control of the ball. It came in on one bounce, hit him in the chest and bounced away yet he still turned towards the plate to tag the runner. What option do you have to avoid this type of play. In Little League, if you don't slide you are out. But you can't make that the standard in a professional league nor can you force a runner to slide in feet first and take all the risk of injury on themselves particularly if the catcher is still allowed to block the plate.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:He needs to recognize an inner half strike and hit that pitch before it gets to the plate and too deep on him.

Yeah. It seems like he's had more trouble batting (and bailing) left-handed than right-handed too(*), so that might be where he needs to adjust his stance. I also was speculating that he was looking outside, and then having trouble picking up the ball running in. Maybe he should look in and try to fight off good pitches outside.

(*) Checked splits, and the numbers suggest a modest difference so far. He's shown more power left handed, but slightly better on-base ability right handed. Striking out ~21% of the time left-handed (walking 16%), striking out 10% of the time right handed (walking 20%). Inconclusive, but might support theory he's not seeing the ball as well from the left side.

With Grady coming back this weekend, and Acta expressing concern about Santana's performance, I'd be surprised if he wasn't dropped out of the cleanup spot soon.

Speaking of Grady, he's alreayd set to be activated. My guess is he won't play tomorrow with Price on the hill, but he'll be available to pinch hit. He'll start Saturday against Shields.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm

peeker643 wrote:Great. Fighting a war on two fronts.

Yeah, well I'm not sure which one of us drew the short straw w/ our allies. I get mother and you get CDT?

::doh::
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 26, 2011 4:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

Yeah, well I'm not sure which one of us drew the short straw w/ our allies. I get mother and you get CDT?

I just want to know if I'm Grenada or France.

I kind of have to assume that I'm Grenada and you're France...with you being kind of a pussy and all.

No offense.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 4:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

motherscratcher would be crazy. Like Lt. Speirs in Band of Brothers. Except he'd trip and fall and wind up with more bullet holes than all 1990s rappers combined.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby paulcousineau » Thu May 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Santana from April 17th to May 17th:
.256 BA / .413 OBP / .512 SLG / .926 OPS with 6 2B and 5 HR in 104 PA and a 23-game stretch

He has yet to get a hit from May 18th to now. What happened that was different on that date?
It's the first time that Hafner wasn't in the lineup behind Santana when Pronk hit the DL. Protection from Buck and Duncan do not equal protection from Hafner. That isn't the whole story, but I would guess that it's part of it.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 26, 2011 4:37 pm

paulcousineau wrote:Santana from April 17th to May 17th:
.256 BA / .413 OBP / .512 SLG / .926 OPS with 6 2B and 5 HR in 104 PA and a 23-game stretch

He has yet to get a hit from May 18th to now. What happened that was different on that date?
It's the first time that Hafner wasn't in the lineup behind Santana when Pronk hit the DL. Protection from Buck and Duncan do not equal protection from Hafner. That isn't the whole story, but I would guess that it's part of it.

Good point. I'd be intersted to see a few things. What was his BABIP and Line Drive% during that month stretch and since. Is he walking and K'ing more now like you'd expect with worse protection?

Maybe this is just a SSS/Luck type of anomoly. Becuase I don't see how worse protection equals worse hitter, unless the opposing pitcher's approach changed and that change just happens to coincide with Hafner going down. If that's the case, then like Peek said, we have to see if he can make the adjustment back. That makes the most sense to me.

Or, it could just be one of those cold stretches. He's wearing his garter backwards or something and needs to breath through his eyelids.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 26, 2011 5:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Good point. I'd be intersted to see a few things. What was his BABIP and Line Drive% during that month stretch and since. Is he walking and K'ing more now like you'd expect with worse protection?

Maybe this is just a SSS/Luck type of anomoly. Becuase I don't see how worse protection equals worse hitter, unless the opposing pitcher's approach changed and that change just happens to coincide with Hafner going down. If that's the case, then like Peek said, we have to see if he can make the adjustment back. That makes the most sense to me.

Seems like a case of too much patience to me.

Seeing 4% more fastballs than last year. Swinging less at pitches out of the zone, but swinging 7% less overall. Swinging at 9.5% fewer pitches inside the strike zone. Pitchers are confusing him because he continuously gets deep in to counts. On one hand, that's a great thing. But on another hand, he might be at a point where he should hit the first good fastball he gets.

Seen 24 more pitches this year in 10 fewer PA than last year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... position=C

Also, as we've all seen, pulling off the fastball. 10.3% of balls in play are line drives. Last year was 21.1%. That 10%? All added to the percentage of ground balls hit.

He's just completely lost. No idea what the pitcher's going to throw. I think there's too much going on in his head at the plate. He needs to simplify it. See ball, pick up spin, hit ball. Not play mind games.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:33 pm

FWIW, listened to a bit of the Red Sux game today. During the pre-game show the host interviewed one of the broadcast guys for Oakland, a guy by the name of Ray Fosse. You might have heard of him. ;-) ;) :wink: Fosse was saying it was a clean hit. He also said, in response to the people clamoring for a "rule change" that there IS no rule about running into the catcher during a play like that so it's a moot point to discuss changing it. He also said that is the risk you run when you play the catcher position. All in all he had no problems with it...and I guess his opinion is worth something.

I did look on WEEI's website to see if I could find audio from the pre-game show but nothing there. Sorry, because I'm sure Fosse explained it much better than I just typed.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB