Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Nationally televised games

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Nationally televised games

Unread postby Lokais » Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Looks like the Indians are starting to get some attention.

We're on ESPN 2 tonight, then MLBN 5/28 against the Rays (this was there awhile ago) and TBS on 6/12 against the Yankees.
Lokais
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Cynic me says if tonight's game were against anyone other than the suddenly hot Red Sux we wouldn't be getting a sniff of ESPN2. After all don't their call letters stand for "Everything Sux Plus Newyork"? I don't care WHAT prompts the TV powers-that-be to put the Tribe on though - it's about time the rest of the nation got a look at us. :thumb up:
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
User avatar
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 1:28 am
Location: In exile in MA :-(
Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby aclayman » Mon May 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I have MLB Network, and it's exceedingly annoying that the Red Sox are also their national game seemingly 3 times a week. It feels like 3/4 of Red Sox games are on ESPN/TBS/FOX/MLBN.
User avatar
aclayman
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:20 pm
Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Yeah, TBS's coverage has pretty much become "whoever the hell the Yankees are playing." Take this weekend, for instance. Perfectly good chance to show the Indians/Reds game...the best team in baseball versus a team that was only a game or so out in their division and that made the playoffs last year, to boot. What do we get? The Yankee$ and their cross-town rivals, the lackluster Mets with their sub .500 record. You can pretty much count on a nationally-televised Yankees game at least once per week, if not more, and those chances go up to 100 percent if they play the Red Sox or Mets.

Let's put it this way: the Yankees and Red Sox would be nationally televised on these upcoming dates if they were playing the Twins. That they're playing a first-place team is simply coincidental.

Just sad.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby Lokais » Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Guys, it's a business. Just take what you can get.
Lokais
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Lokais wrote:Guys, it's a business. Just take what you can get.


Yep. NYC is home to ~20x more people than Cleveland and Greater Boston has ~10x the number of people.

The math is quite simple when it comes to reaching more people with ads.

Sucks, but that's the name of the game.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 23, 2011 4:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Lokais wrote:Guys, it's a business. Just take what you can get.


Yep. NYC is home to ~20x more people than Cleveland and Greater Boston has ~10x the number of people.

The math is quite simple when it comes to reaching more people with ads.

Sucks, but that's the name of the game.


But, it's not fair! Vee though vee getting million dollars!
Image
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby bookelly » Mon May 23, 2011 5:23 pm

If market size is the argument then why don't we get more Chicago, LA, and Texas games? I think it's because there is a horrible bias towards teams that start games EST. The west coast is all but ignored because of this. MLB better wake up and realize there are more than two teams.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby Spanky » Mon May 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Doesnt have to do with the number of people in the city so much as the number of fans nation wide. They wouldnt show it if they didnt pull in an audience
Spanky
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:42 pm
Favorite Player: Omar
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon May 23, 2011 6:48 pm

I get WHY the big media outlets focus so much on those two teams. I just don't get why they don't try to expand their coverage to more teams and embrace the "national" part of the national past-time. Football is pretty well covered nationally...baseball would be well served to try the same formula. They might actually find it helps revenues when the "casual" fan finds new players in different markets to follow.

If you think about it, almost every team has at least one star player (or up-and-coming prospect) to rally behind. Make that a jumping off point and get the fans to notice. Hell, some of these small-market teams are actually doing pretty well...often better than the big boys. Show some Rays games. Throw on the Reds once in a while. The Indians have the best record...maybe they should get some coverage at times other than Red Sox and Yankee visits.

It might actually serve the networks well to acknowledge the fact that there are 28 more teams that routinely go un-noticed. And if those teams are winning (like the Indians), it's inexcusable to ignore them.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Nationally televised games

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:I get WHY the big media outlets focus so much on those two teams. I just don't get why they don't try to expand their coverage to more teams and embrace the "national" part of the national past-time. Football is pretty well covered nationally...baseball would be well served to try the same formula. They might actually find it helps revenues when the "casual" fan finds new players in different markets to follow.

If you think about it, almost every team has at least one star player (or up-and-coming prospect) to rally behind. Make that a jumping off point and get the fans to notice. Hell, some of these small-market teams are actually doing pretty well...often better than the big boys. Show some Rays games. Throw on the Reds once in a while. The Indians have the best record...maybe they should get some coverage at times other than Red Sox and Yankee visits.

It might actually serve the networks well to acknowledge the fact that there are 28 more teams that routinely go un-noticed. And if those teams are winning (like the Indians), it's inexcusable to ignore them.



I agree.


Baseball seems to be the only sport that doesnt get it.... but then again that is because the sport is run by 3 or four owners, 1 puppet, and the agents
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests