Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

'95 Tribesmen on the ChiSox

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

'95 Tribesmen on the ChiSox

Unread postby aclayman » Fri May 20, 2011 1:37 am

While talking with a friend of mine (a Sox fan) en route to the fog covered shit storm of a game last night, we came to an interesting realization: almost every position player from the mighty 1995 Indians wound up playing for the White Sox in the years that followed-- mostly past their prime and useless, but not always. There is no rhyme or reason to it, nor is it remotely important. It's just kind of odd.

Kenny Lofton - 2002
Omar Vizquel - 2010-Present
Albert Belle - 1997-98
Jim Thome - 2006-09
Manny Ramirez - 2010
Sandy Alomar - 2001-04, 2006
Tony Pena - 1997
Herb Perry - 2000-01

Too bad Carlos Baerga flamed out before he got his turn.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Re: '95 Tribesmen on the ChiSox

Unread postby redneckofsc » Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

Speaking of Baegra, he is supposed to represent the Indians at the draft next month.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby phutatorius » Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 pm

The thing that blows me away about the '95 team is that 4 players from the lineup could end up in the HOF: Murray, Thome, Ramirez (if he hasn't DQ'd himself by now), and Vizquel, and the three best hitters on the team at the time were Lofton, Baerga, and Belle.
phutatorius

Unread postby tecs » Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Black sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf has made his admiration of the Indians mid-90's players and scouting staff well known on numerous occasions. I seem to remember him stating in '95 that the Indians were so far ahead of everyone else in the division talent wise that it would take a decade for his team to catch up. Hyperbole, yes, but not too many years off from what eventually transpired.

It doesn't surprise me that he had no problems paying those guys some big FA money, even after they were will past their prime.
tecs

Favorite Player: Josh Tomlin
Least Favorite Player: Brandon Phillips

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat May 21, 2011 12:24 am

I guess Reinsdorf being in awe of the Indians talent might partially explain the white flag deals of 1997.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby JCoz » Sun May 22, 2011 9:18 am

phutatorius wrote:The thing that blows me away about the '95 team is that 4 players from the lineup could end up in the HOF: Murray, Thome, Ramirez (if he hasn't DQ'd himself by now), and Vizquel, and the three best hitters on the team at the time were Lofton, Baerga, and Belle.

Is lofton a no go for the hall for sure?

I know he's only got about 2500 hits.......if he didn't he'd have to be right up there with the best that weren't in.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 22, 2011 10:28 am

As good as Lofton he was at his best for too short a period of time IMO to garner any HOF considerations, and was considered the best at what he did for what maybe 2 years at most, if he was at all. Love him, very very good player, but no way in the hall IMO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aclayman » Sun May 22, 2011 10:50 am

Nope, Kenny has no chance. It's interesting to remember, though, that in 1995, the guy who probably had the best odds of being a Hall of Famer (outside of the obvious Eddie Murray) was Baerga. He was doing stuff no second baseman had done in 80 years or so.
Another interesting thing: we all remember Baerga falling into the abyss and getting traded in the middle of the '96 season, but it's not like he was hitting a Posada-ish .178 or something. When he traded him, he was only 27 years old and was hitting .267 with 10 homers and 55 RBIs through 100 games. So, on pace for his pretty standard 16 HR, 90 RBI. As it turned out, John Hart smelled the stench of imminent career death and dealt him for a guy who actually wound up being the Hall of Fame second baseman (probably) that Baerga was supposed to be-- Jeff Kent. Go figure.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 am

aclayman wrote:Nope, Kenny has no chance. It's interesting to remember, though, that in 1995, the guy who probably had the best odds of being a Hall of Famer (outside of the obvious Eddie Murray) was Baerga. He was doing stuff no second baseman had done in 80 years or so.
Another interesting thing: we all remember Baerga falling into the abyss and getting traded in the middle of the '96 season, but it's not like he was hitting a Posada-ish .178 or something. When he traded him, he was only 27 years old and was hitting .267 with 10 homers and 55 RBIs through 100 games. So, on pace for his pretty standard 16 HR, 90 RBI. As it turned out, John Hart smelled the stench of imminent career death and dealt him for a guy who actually wound up being the Hall of Fame second baseman (probably) that Baerga was supposed to be-- Jeff Kent. Go figure.

And I distinctly remember being pissed when we traded Bearga for Kent. I was bitching to my Dad and called Kent a "stiff" about half a dozen times. To this day my Dad likes to bust my balls about that. Mention Kent and he says "you mean the stiff?"

Another in a long line of fantastic calls by yours truly.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 pm

aclayman wrote:Nope, Kenny has no chance. It's interesting to remember, though, that in 1995, the guy who probably had the best odds of being a Hall of Famer (outside of the obvious Eddie Murray) was Baerga. He was doing stuff no second baseman had done in 80 years or so.

Didn't he go in the tank after Mesa slept with his wife or something?

Thought I vaguely remembered something like that...

Anyways, yah, I guess I'm not surprised, the Hall really doesn't give you much for being a great leadoff man.

Kenny still is the best leadoff man since Henderson IMO.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB