Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

SO what's the best Indians brawl you've seen?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

SO what's the best Indians brawl you've seen?

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

I am starting this thread in hopes of remembering some that you all will bring up that I maybe have forgotten. In any case, here are some that I recall:

Of course, Fausto getting the best of Sheffield was almost orgasmic if you despise Gary. WHat a rush.

My favorite has to be with the Brew crew in '96 when Belle pummeled the 2b (Vina?) on his way into getting tagged out. The best, though, was when Belle was thrown at in his next at bat, but instead of retaliating, he commanded Julian Tavarez to plunk the next Brewer (who I cannot recall). Then, Tavarez incites a bench-clearer. Maybe Albert was plunked again because he ended up absolutely pulvarizing the Brewer catcher who tackled him from behind.

I also recall Belle going after Neal Heaton of the Royals in '92. Heaton had the balls to throw at Belle two pitches in a row. Simultaneously, Dennis Cook gets thrown to the ground by Lee May. It was kind of funny because I never liked Dennnis.

Also, I do not think I am dreaming this one but around '93 in the cactus league, Jose Mesa bodyslammed Paul O'Neil and put him on the DL.

How about Jim Thome charging one of his best friend in Rheal Cormier? That was the same game that Jaret Wright said "Come on!" to Darren (cannot remember which Darren it was...not Jackson though) and throwing a major swing and a miss bitch punch.

Never a brawl, but Kenny Lofton and Unit had some fun disputes. Robby Alomar and Pedro, during the time when everyone not a Sawks fan hated Pedro, had some nasty words.

So, which ones am I leaving out?
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: SO what's the best Indians brawl you've seen?

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 10:52 pm

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 10:55 pm

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu May 19, 2011 8:00 am

My favorite has to be with the Brew crew in '96 when Belle pummeled the 2b (Vina?) on his way into getting tagged out. The best, though, was when Belle was thrown at in his next at bat, but instead of retaliating, he commanded Julian Tavarez to plunk the next Brewer (who I cannot recall). Then, Tavarez incites a bench-clearer. Maybe Albert was plunked again because he ended up absolutely pulvarizing the Brewer catcher who tackled him from behind.

That's mine as well. Fausto beating Sheff's ass is #2, but any sort of confrontation where Joey Belle and Crazy Julian join forces has to take the cake. It's like those two were raised by pack animals.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 am

I like the young Suzie Kober in the Belle clip. I want to kiss her.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu May 19, 2011 10:04 am

The most memorable one that I saw in person was in the late 80s. The guys on the team brought their kids to the park that day and they were all on the field during pregame. I was young so I don't remember many details, but sometime during the game, Andy Allanson came flying out of the dugout and went after the opposing team's pitcher. It was pretty great.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu May 19, 2011 10:26 am

Not an Indians one, but it did involve Jullian Tavarez.

I think the year was 2001, it happened during spring training, and was actually the same day Randy Johnson killed that bird.

Tavarez plunked some guy (can't remember who it was), the guy charged the mound, and Tavarez, no lie, did the Daniel son stand (where he broke his leg), and kicked the shit out of the guy. Wish I could find clip, but it isnt on youtube.

To me, that was my favorite fight all time, it even tops the Nolan Ryan/Robin Ventura fight, and the one when Mo Vaughn speared George Bell.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby c11058 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:19 am

Seems like the only brawls we can discuss are ones that occurred with the Tribe ten years ago or so.....The latest Indian's roster are made up of "high character" guys who are unlikely to fight anyone.

A few years back when Hafner was beaned and given a concussion by Mark Buehrle? and the tribe did not retaliate or fight was unbelievable to me. Since that time, I've been of the opinion that our present day Indians are a bunch of lovers/not fighters, for the most part.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong and we'll see a bench-clearer this year!
c11058

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu May 19, 2011 11:22 am

Mostly every brawl I remember in the 90's was Belle or Lofton...no one on this team comes close to the fire of those two.

But even all throughout baseball, it seems fights are a thing of the past. There was a lot during the early 90's, then after that, they seemed to tail off.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby statmasta » Thu May 19, 2011 11:38 am

1999 against the Angels. Indians were down by 8-runs, then had a 10-run 8th inning capped off by a Richie Sexson 3-run bomb off of Troy Percival. The next batter Percival hit David Justice, who then charged the mound and threw his helmet at Percival.

That was awesome. The massive comeback and a fight.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 19, 2011 12:05 pm

I know it isn't Tribe related, but I never get tired of seeing Nolan Ryan beat up on Robin Ventura.

Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fairvis » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 pm

What's amazing is that when Belle knocked the crap out of Vina, he wasn't thrown out, just called out by the tag. And there's nothing better then punkass Robin Ventura charging Nolan Ryan, getting his ass beat, and Nolan being allowed to finish the game.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu May 19, 2011 1:30 pm

If you were the first base umpire, would you have ejected Belle if he was till within a few feet of you?

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby paulcousineau » Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm

For whatever reason, I remember Dennis Cook FLYING in from the bullpen during a bench-clearer and just looking for somebody to fight. Might have been against the A's or (since Google is not validating my memory) I may be making it up.

I'm pretty sure that it happened though as that mullet cruising in from the bullpen is burned into my synapses.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Mid 80's at the old place against I have no clue but Dave Clark and Carmen Castillo came from out of the dugout and made quick work of a the pile in the middle of the diamond.

Clark was a big man fro the time and Castillo was just effing nuts. But the two of them left a trail of bodies on the infield grass.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 pm

I cannot picture a better brawl than Alcantara vs the infield (even though it does not involve Cleveland)

it just beats everything
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB