Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Masterson - anyone a little worried?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Masterson - anyone a little worried?

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

This guy started out like Greg Swindell '89 or something, but lately he just seems to be getting a bit more and more exposed and it's usually one bad inning or two and that's it. He looked decent but for 2 innings against TB in his last start. I do not think his sinker was working like it did vs. ChiSox in week one and Seattle in week 3. His start two weekends ago vs. Anaheim wasn't bad at all, but he could not make 0-2 and 1-2 counts into K's.

I don't have stats. I just have gut feelings. This guy is a huge reason why we are where we are and I do not want to think negatively, but something tells me he's about to get shelled over a period of time. Anyone else?

I love the guy's delivery and the movement he possesses. I think he's a HUGE key in that we know Fausto is going to be off 3/4 starts (Chisox and MINN) and Tomlin is still somewhat of an enigma. Carrasco is full of potential, but not ready to be a big gun. Alex White may or may not be in Cleveland in a month (Carrasco too, for that matter). Talbot is????

Masterson...just game by game, becoming more and more like last year's Masterson, it seems. A bit more solved inning by inning.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Re: Masterson - anyone a little worried?

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm not. He got totally squeezed last game, thought his stuff was great. Down, hard, moving, and on the black. Just did not get a call all game.

Still has to get better against lefties, but to me, he's been a different pitcher this year ... has been the guy I hoped he could be when we got him from the Chowds.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 pm

I agree. Watching him tonight has maybe made me want to rethink what I post.

He has trouble getting a 1-2-3 and flirts with danger, but the guy is bend, don't break all the way. I guess I do not see him losing what he has, but eventually, how will he fare against better teams than Sea, KC, and Chicago?

Clearly, he's going to be our best k/ip guy and possibly our best k/bb man, too. I just would like to see him become the Verlander or Haren of our staff. What Cliff Lee WOULD be, Masterson is doing a decent job of making up for.

Also, I'd be curious to know what our run support average is for him. Tonight and his previous two starts, he has gotten little.

No doubt, he is nasty and very difficult on rhh's. Boston totally got hosed in the long run on that deal.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Lokais » Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 am

He struck out 8, gave up 1 run, and was being squeezed by a minuscule strike zone the entire night. Went 8 innings as well with only 5 hits and 2 walks. I'd say that's a win on most nights.
Lokais

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm

One of the more bizarre and inconsistent strike zones I've seen in a while last night. Haven't seen a pitcher get more high strike calls than Peavy did in a long time...strangely, the generous zone didn't extend to Masterson.

But worried about a guy who gave up one cheap run in 8 innings of work, and consistently had a 96-97 mph fastball with crazy movement on it, plus two or three other pitches working?

Nah.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Am I worried that he's not going to go 25-2 with a 2.50 ERA? No.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB