Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Power Rankings

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Power Rankings

Unread postby Lokais » Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 am

The concept is kind of a joke, as you pretty much never agree with how they are ranked, but this comment struck me as even dumber than usual.

In an ideal world (and column), the Indians would've been lapped by a few teams last week, making it easier to demote them down into the 5-7 range where they belong. Alas, nobody stepped up. So congratulations, I guess. ... There are ominous signs, though: the first hints of the inevitable rotation regression, Grady Sizemore's latest injury crawlabout, the refusal of Carlos Santana and Shin-Soo Choo to participate in ritualistic deslumpifications. Then there's the weather-tampered schedule. Through Sunday, the Indians had played the fewest games of any MLB team; they'd played four fewer than the White Sox. This portends some bullpen drag when the makeup-game bills come due. And beware the Reds/Red Sox/Rays schedule trifecta that looms a few dark days away. ... So basically, yeah, we're all trying to get a head start on trumpeting their demise, for reasons that have everything to do with our expectations and nothing to do with reality. Except the Josh-Tomlin-will-revert-to-sucking part. That's pure inevitability.

Bolding is mine. So let me get this straight, the best team in baseball right now actually belongs in the 5-7 range because you don't THINK they deserve to be at #1, even though you put them there? Because a team that exceeds expectations must be flawed, not the expectations themselves made long before a single pitch had even been thrown?

And let me also try to understand the second thing. The Indians aren't as good as other teams because they have been rained out? Does it not matter that 2 of those rain outs came against a terrible Seattle Mariners team? And that the 3rd was against arguably the worst team in baseball right now? Or how about all the other teams that have been rained out this year? Like, you know, pretty much all of them.

Sheesh. I wish I had a job where I didn't have to even try.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/powerrankings
Lokais

Re: Power Rankings

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Lokais » Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 am

I just think the best part is how he begrudgingly puts them in #1 even though they don't deserve it because he didn't think they would be good back in January.
Lokais

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am

Tomlin will go back to sucking???

Excuse me but he never sucked. He's still on the quality start streak to begin his season.

And has gone at least 5 innings in every game he has ever started.

Normally I will agree if a guy doesn't seem to have the makings for prolonged success (to this kind of extent) and say that he will coem down to earth but he has a 0.85 WHIP

If you're allowing less than 1 baserunner per inning you're going to be good and it's not based on luck.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed May 18, 2011 10:55 am

Bolding is mine. So let me get this straight, the best team in baseball right now actually belongs in the 5-7 range because you don't THINK they deserve to be at #1, even though you put them there? Because a team that exceeds expectations must be flawed, not the expectations themselves made long before a single pitch had even been thrown?

You think that's ridiculous? Fangraphs has the Indians ranked 20th BEHIND the White Sox because of their computer formula being mostly based on, get this... preseason fan voting! It's actually a combination of team WAR and preseason fan voting but you get the point. You'll never guess who the #1 and 2# teams are...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-power-rankings-51611/#more-50405
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 am

I'm not cure why this kind of thing pisses anyone off. They are power rankings. They are basically a ranking of how good this guy thinks the teams are. He has to base it on his view of their performance, schedule, record, stats, roster, and a whole shitload of things.

It's not, I repeat NOT, just a list of team records in order from best to worst. What the hell would the point of that be? We already know what the teams records are. This guy thinks that the Indians are probably around the 5-7th best team in MLB right now. Maybe that's too low. Maybe not. I do know that it's still pretty damn good. And I do know that some really good teams got off to rocky starts. I'm not convinced that the Indians are actually better than teams like the Red Sox, Rays, Yankees, and Phillies, despite our better record.

I mean, are you ABSOLUTELY convinced of that?

Power rankings are what they are, one guy's opinion. You may disagree, but I don't understand getting bent about it.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Lokais » Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm not mad. I just find it funny. And as I said in the first post, I know they are silly, but his reasoning isn't even sound. Since a power ranking is one guys opinion of a team at a certain specific point in time, than that one guy can put the Indians in 5-7 if he wants to. Not put them in first and say they should be 5-7. And using rain outs to justify it makes no sense. That's all.
Lokais

Unread postby Toxicadam » Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't see what the problem is. History has shown that young guys begin to falter as a season wears on and this team is loaded with youth. Especially in the starting pitching staff. So, as the regression happens, it's going to mean more losses.

I guess the X factor in all of this is our offense. I think the Indians offense is one of the best in the AL. That might be enough to offset some of the pitching regression we are going to see.

You can't really blame the mainstream guys for being doubters. You can count the successful 40-50 million dollar payroll teams on one hand. History is on their side to be skeptics.
Toxicadam

Unread postby The Brook » Wed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

I think the 2nd point is pretty legit. Bullpen has been able to rest because of the rainouts, and when we have to make up the games it will really be a strain on the pitching staff overall.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 18, 2011 1:39 pm

I understand the skepticism. People have been talking about our weak schedule and guys overachieving all season long.

What it doesn't change is the fact that we've won 26 of 37 and have been impressive doing so. Beat up the scrubs, play a little over .500 against the good teams.

Power rankings are about nothing more than clicks. You're feeding the monster with a thread like this.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 pm

I think a couple of you are missing Lokais' point. He's not saying that the guy is an ass just for thinking they're not this good or won't keep it up, nor is he saying they won't level off.

He's saying it's the CBS guy's own personal power rankings so it's odd that he didn't just put them down at 5-7 if that's really where he thinks they belong. Also how it's very silly that a reason he uses to back up his opinion is that they've played less games. Which is not their fault and has nothing to do with how good or bad they are.

Using the word "revert" in reference to Tomlin shows flawed thinking as well. As "to revert" is to go back to something you were before. Tomlin was never bad up here, so he can't revert to that. He can "regress" to sucking but not "revert" to it.

I don't think he's knocking the guy for his opinion of the team, just his odd "support" for said opinion.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Our bullpen has been rested because out starting pitchers are averaging 6.1 IP per game.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Lokais » Wed May 18, 2011 2:31 pm

cozmeesah wrote:I think a couple of you are missing Lokais' point. He's not saying that the guy is an ass just for thinking they're not this good or won't keep it up, nor is he saying they won't level off.

He's saying it's the CBS guy's own personal power rankings so it's odd that he didn't just put them down at 5-7 if that's really where he thinks they belong. Also how it's very silly that a reason he uses to back up his opinion is that they've played less games. Which is not their fault and has nothing to do with how good or bad they are.

Using the word "revert" in reference to Tomlin shows flawed thinking as well. As "to revert" is to go back to something you were before. Tomlin was never bad up here, so he can't revert to that. He can "regress" to sucking but not "revert" to it.

I don't think he's knocking the guy for his opinion of the team, just his odd "support" for said opinion.

Bingo.
Lokais

Unread postby XUDawg » Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 pm

XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby bookelly » Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby FUDU » Wed May 18, 2011 7:01 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'm not cure why this kind of thing pisses anyone off. They are power rankings. They are basically a ranking of how good this guy thinks the teams are. He has to base it on his view of their performance, schedule, record, stats, roster, and a whole shitload of things.

It's not, I repeat NOT, just a list of team records in order from best to worst. What the hell would the point of that be? We already know what the teams records are. This guy thinks that the Indians are probably around the 5-7th best team in MLB right now. Maybe that's too low. Maybe not. I do know that it's still pretty damn good. And I do know that some really good teams got off to rocky starts. I'm not convinced that the Indians are actually better than teams like the Red Sox, Rays, Yankees, and Phillies, despite our better record.

I mean, are you ABSOLUTELY convinced of that?

Power rankings are what they are, one guy's opinion. You may disagree, but I don't understand getting bent about it.

While I agree with your general point, I always took PR to be more of an in depth ranking method other than just saying team with most wins is better than team with fewer wins. IOW the opinion originates from some sort of more in depth evaluation of the line up and staff and often incorporates some stats, and definitely includes up to date schedule analysis. Maybe that is why people get bent b/c the Tribe is doing well in many of those areas?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 7:38 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Lokais » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm saving all these for your next Shapiro hate post.
Lokais

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:57 pm

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 pm

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed May 18, 2011 8:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Image

Got to be honest, this one might top them all.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Lokais wrote:
cozmeesah wrote:I think a couple of you are missing Lokais' point. He's not saying that the guy is an ass just for thinking they're not this good or won't keep it up, nor is he saying they won't level off.

Bingo.

Gotcha :thumb up:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed May 18, 2011 11:32 pm

Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 am

Commodore Perry wrote:Image

Brilliant
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 am

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 am

Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon May 23, 2011 10:45 am

Brian's not going to like this, although the Eckstein/Middle Earth thing was pretty damn funny.

13. Los Angeles Dodgers - Jamey Carroll
It’s not necessarily Carroll's personally that puts him here, but the type of player he represents. Now that David Eckstein is relaxing at a beachfront condo somewhere in Middle-Earth, Carroll is the best example of a scrappy middle infielder. And, man, those guys tend to foul off 12 pitches before fisting a pitch over second for an RBI single. Carroll stands in for the entire genre.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:

Brian's not going to like this, although the Eckstein/Middle Earth thing was pretty damn funny.

13. Los Angeles Dodgers - Jamey Carroll
It’s not necessarily Carroll's personally that puts him here, but the type of player he represents. Now that David Eckstein is relaxing at a beachfront condo somewhere in Middle-Earth, Carroll is the best example of a scrappy middle infielder. And, man, those guys tend to foul off 12 pitches before fisting a pitch over second for an RBI single. Carroll stands in for the entire genre.

Bastards.

Never should Jamey Carroll be mentioned in the same article as AJ Pierzynski and the Yankees unless it's a compare and contrast situation.

Most inflammatory piece in 'journalism' history.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Lokais » Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Ummm, does this guy look at this forum or something. Here's his blurb this week:

You've got the league's best record and run differential. You're on pace to win something like 108 games. Does it really matter if some media halfwit fails to celebrate these undeniable truths with an OMG U R THE BEST!!! notation in a silly rankings column... or if he wonders whether the defense will keep catching everything hitters put in play; if the pitching staff's middling strikeout numbers portend a course correction ahead; or whether Josh Tomlin might ultimately settle in as a No. 4/5, rather than the No. 1 he's been in nine -- not 30 or 80 or 244 -- April and May starts (actual reader email from last week: "He throws strikes, keeps the ball in the park and does not get rattled. Hmmm... same thing they said of [Greg] Maddox (sic) when he was young.")? I do love that Cleveland fans are ready to fall in love again post-LeBron, though. ... Judging by my email, Tribe apostles caught the weekend series against the Reds but not the one against the White Sox that preceded it. ... To repeat what was written in this space three weeks ago: I am on your side. I like your players, your manager, your management, your minimalist uniforms and your ballpark, which I will refer to as "The Jake" until I am legally enjoined from doing so. It will make my heart soar with the joy of a thousand Christmas mornings if the Indians emerge from this Boston/Tampa/Toronto/Texas schedule stretch with their competitive bona fides intact. I'm just skeptical by nature. If you must, blame my parents.

Also, who was it that compared Tomlin to Maddux here? Was that you emailing him? Come clean...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/powerrankings
Lokais

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB