Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Grady DL'd; Buck Re-called

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Grady DL'd; Buck Re-called

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Per several on Twitter.

No surprise.

Edit: Retroactive to Wednesday.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Grady DL'd; Buck Re-called

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 pm

:-(
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I said this on TCF but making it retroactive says to me they were going to need to give him a few more days but couldn't afford to play with 24 guys anymore. Not with Kearns being their biggest LF option. This way they have a full roster and can give him ample time to shake this.

At least I hope that's the case. For our sake, the team's sake, but mostly for Grady's sake. Poor guy. Last thing he needs is another year like the last two. Not fair to happen to a player and guy like him.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Buck's out of options now, either he or Kearns is probably going to be cut when Grady gets back. I vote for Kearns, guaranteed salary be damned.

This really worries me about Grady though, a knee bruise shouldn't be a 2 week thing. We have a tough schedule coming up too.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 16, 2011 1:35 pm

cozmeesah wrote:I said this on TCF but making it retroactive says to me they were going to need to give him a few more days but couldn't afford to play with 24 guys anymore.

A lot of the timing, IMO, has to do with the fact that they're on the road for four days and it entails plane flights and longer travel rather than a short 2 hr drive up 71. If they needed another body for any reason, pre-game injury, illness, then they'd really be going with a short bench. This way, they've got an insurance policy.

When Grady didn't hit for Kearns in the 8th on Friday, the writing was on the wall about this move.

I'm not too worried about Kearns. He's barreling up the ball a lot more of late. Had a couple loud outs in his last few games.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Buck's out of options now

An option lasts all year, so Buck can be sent back and forth to AAA as many times as the Tribe like this year.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks, didn't know that.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon May 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Buck's out of options now, either he or Kearns is probably going to be cut when Grady gets back. I vote for Kearns, guaranteed salary be damned.

This really worries me about Grady though, a knee bruise shouldn't be a 2 week thing. We have a tough schedule coming up too.

I'm pretty sure Buck's option is good for the entire season, no?

Also, you ever have a bad bruise on your knee? Those can be brutally painful. Especially if they're internal, which his probably is as nothing hit his knee during that slide. It's not like you just happened to bump your knee lightly on the corner of the coffee table.

They're going to be extra extra cautious with him considering the past two years. Give him the 15 days off to make sure he's 100% ready when he does come back. I'd rather them do that than let him play on it. Potentially making it worse OR him favoring it and injuring something else.

If it goes too much past the date he's eligible to come back, THEN I'll be worried.
cozmeesah

Unread postby redneckofsc » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm

This sucks. Cleveland can not catch a break when it comes to sports. I expect Hafner, Tomlin, Carmona, Masteron, or Jesus to be next.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Toxicadam » Mon May 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I think it makes sense they are being extra-cautious with Grady. If the right knee is not 100%, that means he will transfer the load to his left knee. Which is probably the worst thing you could do for someone coming off of microfracture surgery.
Toxicadam

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Front knee at the plate too. That weight shift might be wreaking havoc on a bruise like that.

More importantly, teach the damn guy how to slide.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Luckily the lead off spot isn't a concern. It's being filled just fine...

They should be fine for two weeks. The obvious, obvious problem is if someone else goes down. Hopefully it is a case where the Indians believe they can give him 2 weeks rest without as big of a risk as bringing him back too soon.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue May 17, 2011 9:21 am

Indians are 14-7 when Grady doesn't play, 11-6 when he does.

Proof that one man does not make a team.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Indians are 14-7 when Grady doesn't play, 11-6 when he does.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I wonder what Brantley's slash line is when Grady plays compared to when he doesn't.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:05 am

skatingtripods wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Indians are 14-7 when Grady doesn't play, 11-6 when he does.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I wonder what Brantley's slash line is when Grady plays compared to when he doesn't.

Easiest just to look at Brantley at different spots in the lineup:

Leadoff: .337/.389/.500
7th: .256/.373/.349

Brantely had a quote a few weeks ago saying that something to the effect that he sees more fastballs hitting leadoff but more off-speed stuff at 7th. Maybe that shows up in the numbers as he's getting on-base basically just as much at 7th in the order, but he's driving the ball less.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Jumbo wrote:Easiest just to look at Brantley at different spots in the lineup:

Leadoff: .337/.389/.500
7th: .256/.373/.349

Brantely had a quote a few weeks ago saying that something to the effect that he sees more fastballs hitting leadoff but more off-speed stuff at 7th. Maybe that shows up in the numbers as he's getting on-base basically just as much at 7th in the order, but he's driving the ball less.

Guess I should have thought of looking it up that way. Thanks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Bottom line, regardless of what happens w Grady, Brantley has gotta be this teams leadoff hitter.

While I disagreed w Acta moving Grady back to leadoff right outta the gate, I don't think Manny moves him back there.

Brantley has looked really good.

We all said going into the season that the play of Brantley and LaPorta would be key to the teams success. At the quarter pole, Brantley is hitting over .300. And after last night, LaPorta is hitting .274 and is 3rd on the team in RBIs.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I'd like to see LaPorta be a bit more consistent. His 4-4 with 4 ribbies last night propped up his numbers a bit.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby cozmeesah » Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 pm

I do agree.

But then, where do you hit Grady? Do you really hit Grady Sizemore in the bottom 3rd of the lineup?
cozmeesah

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm

cozmeesah wrote:But then, where do you hit Grady? Do you really hit Grady Sizemore in the bottom 3rd of the lineup?

Nowhere to hit him, IMO.

Don't want him 6th because then you go, Choo-Santana-Hafner-Sizemore. Easy lefty matchup. Not that Orlando's a stud, but he is hitting .357 off LHP.

Logical place is 7th to swap him and Brantley. To some extent, I'd rather hit him 9th, if he's willing to walk 75-90 times like he used to. He should get pitches to hit when we're rolling over the top of the lineup. He gives you a very dangerous #9 hitter. I just wonder if he could handle it from a psychological perspective of being a 9 hitter.

Otherwise, find out what his value is on the trade market. If we can get a decent LF for one of our A or AA pitchers not named Pomeranz, I'd be curious to see if we could get that 8th inning RHP and something else for Grady. You piss off the fan base, but if it gets you what you need, Grady's gone after next year anyway.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:14 pm

When healthy he's a 3-6 hitter.

But I'm w/Tripods in the sense I don't think he's ever the same player again. If you could get value for him I would because of that alone.

I'm not with Tripods completely on Grady being a cipher. He has issues for sure but when healthy he was a dynamic player on both sides.

Has that period come and gone for good? Don't know which makes it tricky. Still young but holes in the knees is scary, scary stuff.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 pm

I actually think all these injuries have made Sizemore affordable for the Tribe. Choo needs to be replaced (I think he'll be trded this offseason. Antonetti isn't going to waste his time and effort with Boras after this offseason's cold shoulder), so I don't want the Indians to have to be replacing two spots in the outfield simultaneously.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue May 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:I actually think all these injuries have made Sizemore affordable for the Tribe. Choo needs to be replaced (I think he'll be trded this offseason. Antonetti isn't going to waste his time and effort with Boras after this offseason's cold shoulder), so I don't want the Indians to have to be replacing two spots in the outfield simultaneously.

Choo needs to be replaced?
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 17, 2011 7:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:When healthy he's a 3-6 hitter.

But I'm w/Tripods in the sense I don't think he's ever the same player again. If you could get value for him I would because of that alone.

Yay.

I'm not with Tripods completely on Grady being a cipher. He has issues for sure but when healthy he was a dynamic player on both sides.

Has that period come and gone for good? Don't know which makes it tricky. Still young but holes in the knees is scary, scary stuff.

Boo.

I've told you before, I'm slighted on Grady. Sick athletic ability. Boatloads of talent. Either he's an egotistical, stubborn prick between the lines or he's lacking something. Pitch recognition sucks. No willingness to make adjustments. Long swing on everything not on the inner black.

To me, he's nothing more than a good mistake hitter and a stat padder (blowouts) at this point. Anyone in the Majors can hit a mistake. Can Grady regularly hit a good pitch from a good pitcher? Not in my estimation. And he's certainly one of the last guys I'd want up against a good closer with the game on the line.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Tue May 17, 2011 7:59 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Dellucci TailGator wrote:I actually think all these injuries have made Sizemore affordable for the Tribe. Choo needs to be replaced (I think he'll be trded this offseason. Antonetti isn't going to waste his time and effort with Boras after this offseason's cold shoulder), so I don't want the Indians to have to be replacing two spots in the outfield simultaneously.

When he's playing for LA, yes, he'll need to be replaced.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed May 18, 2011 11:33 am

Dellucci TailGator wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:

When he's playing for LA, yes, he'll need to be replaced.

Until he gets his head out of his ass, he's staying put. Between his numbers and the DUI arrest, we'd be selling way low. He's gotta have a monster second half to even warrant further extension talks, let alone trading him.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB