Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Pronk + Hammy - walk off HR

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Pronk + Hammy - walk off HR

Unread postby bookelly » Fri May 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Paulie C posted this via twitter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbjxKFeXWWI&feature=youtu.be

:woot:

Edit/ I watched this about 17 times. I can't help it.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Pronk + Hammy - walk off HR

Unread postby bookelly » Sat May 14, 2011 2:06 am

Here's another angle. Via @chrisperez twitter. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14685842#utm_campaign=twitter.com&utm_source=14685842&utm_medium=social

:clap:

/twitter is fun...who knew?

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat May 14, 2011 3:06 am

The crowd noise is great! Love how it gets loud when Pronk hits it the climbs to deafening when it clears the wall! Seattle Guy in the back row is just a bonus!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 14, 2011 3:44 am

Not to be a downer but that was not one of Tom's better calls.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat May 14, 2011 6:41 am

FUDU wrote:Not to be a downer but that was not one of Tom's better calls.

Yeah, well chipolte causes cancer.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby DarNoor » Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 am

I thought it was a great call. I especially liked how didn't say anything as Travis was running the bases. He let the crowd to the talking. Other announcers would scream over the crowd. I love Hammy,
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat May 14, 2011 9:15 am

Sadly, agree with this. But, in his defense, from my view on the Porch, I wasn't sure that he got enough of it either.

That said, hearing him say that the magic is back at Progressive Field gave me chills.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat May 14, 2011 10:08 am

DarNoor wrote:I thought it was a great call. I especially liked how didn't say anything as Travis was running the bases. He let the crowd to the talking. Other announcers would scream over the crowd. I love Hammy,

Agreed. He knew that the crowd noise was loud enough to fill the space and he let it breathe.

Think of how pissed you get when Hammy prematurely calls a homer. Times that by 10 if it's at the end of a game. Or think if Saunders goes up and catches that.

The only homers to CF I can remember being confident would end games were hit by Belle, Ramirez and Thome. I thought he played it just right. THis wasn't Santana's home run, where you could call it off the bat.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sat May 14, 2011 10:44 am

DarNoor wrote:I thought it was a great call. I especially liked how didn't say anything as Travis was running the bases. He let the crowd to the talking. Other announcers would scream over the crowd. I love Hammy,

+1

The pause was perfect. Absolutely perfect. He says its gone and lets that hang in the air over the crowd going crazy. Goosebumps.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 14, 2011 11:00 am

I'm speaking to Hammy calling the HR itself, that is what I consider "the call" (not the long silence & fans rightfully screaming their heads off). It was very boring and short, he's made 1st inning Cactus League HR calls sound better than that. As to his comments after the fact I agree, great to hear him speak in that regard.

FUDU

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat May 14, 2011 11:58 am

Hamilton generally overdoes it with most of his calls. Screaming is his way of showing excitement. He's especially awful when the Indians are awful as he takes shots at other teams and way overplays August wins that put the team 20 games under.

Good to hear him a bit subdued.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat May 14, 2011 1:33 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Hamilton generally overdoes it with most of his calls. Screaming is his way of showing excitement. He's especially awful when the Indians are awful as he takes shots at other teams and way overplays August wins that put the team 20 games under.

This call is the same one he uses every time someone hits a fly ball that falls 20 feet short of the track. Actually, probably more subdued than that. Drive me nuts. It was one thing when Herby was in his late, delusional years and couldn't tell the difference, but night in and night out with the false calls is more than annoying. There are things to like about him, but this knocks him down on my list.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 pm

I've listened to many radio play-by-play guys over the years, and Hamilton is one of the best.

Wish I could still listen to him.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Sat May 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Underwood's voice cracked when he said "Gone" after Pronk's walk-off.

Tribe easily deserves a home primetime game.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby statmasta » Sat May 14, 2011 5:37 pm

That's fine for TV as you get the images of Hafner rounding the bases and the crowd going wild, but that's NOT the way to do it on the radio. He should have said more.

I think Underwood's call was much better.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby statmasta » Sat May 14, 2011 5:38 pm

leadpipe wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Hamilton generally overdoes it with most of his calls. Screaming is his way of showing excitement. He's especially awful when the Indians are awful as he takes shots at other teams and way overplays August wins that put the team 20 games under.

This call is the same one he uses every time someone hits a fly ball that falls 20 feet short of the track. Actually, probably more subdued than that. Drive me nuts. It was one thing when Herby was in his late, delusional years and couldn't tell the difference, but night in and night out with the false calls is more than annoying. There are things to like about him, but this knocks him down on my list.

That's what makes him so awesome. He makes routine flyouts suspenseful and exciting.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Sat May 14, 2011 7:41 pm

^ this this 1,000 times this.

Exactly what makes Hammy so good is his ability to paint such an awesome picture of every baseball play for his radio listeners. The TV viewer can often pre-determine how things will play out during each AB b/c he can see it with his own eyes, that can be rather boring. With radio you rely on the play by play call. With a man on first could you imagine Hammy saying "here's the pitch, single into right field, the runner advances around second to third...now it's men on the corners with 1 out." As opposed to "Pedro set to deliver, here's the pitch, A LASER BEAM JUST OUT OF REACH OF VAUGHN, OMAR IS GOING TO TRY FOR THIRD, HERE COMES THE THROW, VIZQUEL SLIDES....SAFE SAFE, HE BEAT A GREAT THROW TO SET UP A HUGE AB WITH MEN ON THE CORNERS." All of that while screaming.

Otherwise the radio listener gains no sense of urgency or just how close or exciting the play is, regardless of whether it was close or exciting anyway.

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat May 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Amen, you guys are all dicks. Hamilton is an excellent PBP guy. Spoiled if you think he's less than great.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby bookelly » Sat May 14, 2011 10:06 pm

statmasta wrote:

That's fine for TV as you get the images of Hafner rounding the bases and the crowd going wild, but that's NOT the way to do it on the radio. He should have said more.

I think Underwood's call was much better.

I couldn't disagree more amigo. He let the crowd noise tell the story. Brilliant call. I especially like the "go-oooonnnnnnn" in a musical voice. He was so amped it nearly choked him up.

"THE MAGIC IS BACK!!!" - awesome...just fucking (sorry Swerb) awesome. :cheers:

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Cav's Tait = Awesome. Will be greatly missed. Really painted a picture.
Tribe's Hammy = Also awesome. Like most of you, I love his calls and enthusiasm.
Brown's PBP Donovan = blah. No comparison to these other guys.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat May 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Amen, you guys are all dicks. Hamilton is an excellent PBP guy. Spoiled if you think he's less than great.

I think he is great. I just expected him to explode. Letting the crowd take care of it was cool too.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 am

This is my problem with Gus Johnson. You know he'd be screaming the entire length of Hafner's trip around the bases.

There used to be a clip on Youtube of Clay Matthews's interception on the one-yard line that clinched the win over the Bills in the '89 playoffs. Charlie Jones and Merlin Olson don't say a word for five minutes after the play. They go silent and let the pictures and the audio tell the story- the stadium going berzerk, Matthews holding the ball up, the dejection on the Buffalo sideline. That's how it's supposed to be done.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun May 15, 2011 2:01 am

OldDawg wrote:Cav's Tait = Awesome. Will be greatly missed. Really painted a picture.
Tribe's Hammy = Also awesome. Like most of you, I love his calls and enthusiasm.

I disagree.

A major reason Donovan hasn't reached anywhere near those guys is because he's really not been able to call any historic/big games for the Browns outside of the 02 Falcons game.

Every Sunday in the fall, I'll crank down the TV and crank up the radio just to listen to him and Dieken for the sheer amazing homerism they bring to doing games., and he brings a great amount of enthusiasm to the broadcast booth.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 15, 2011 2:31 am

hermanfontenot wrote:

This is my problem with Gus Johnson. You know he'd be screaming the entire length of Hafner's trip around the bases.

There used to be a clip on Youtube of Clay Matthews's interception on the one-yard line that clinched the win over the Bills in the '89 playoffs. Charlie Jones and Merlin Olson don't say a word for five minutes after the play. They go silent and let the pictures and the audio tell the story- the stadium going berzerk, Matthews holding the ball up, the dejection on the Buffalo sideline. That's how it's supposed to be done.

Then thank God they only did TV then b/c radio doesn't work that way. Painting the picture that cannot be seen is a HUGE part of radio play by play, silence on the radio is like pointing a blind man to the exit.

Seriously could you hear Gib Shanley calling a kick return " Dino Hall takes it at the 10, he's to the 25, he's to 50, to the 20, TOUCHDOWN!"

::doh::

FUDU

Unread postby DarNoor » Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 am

Triple-S wrote:
OldDawg wrote:Cav's Tait = Awesome. Will be greatly missed. Really painted a picture.

I disagree.

A major reason Donovan hasn't reached anywhere near those guys is because he's really not been able to call any historic/big games for the Browns outside of the 02 Falcons game.

Every Sunday in the fall, I'll crank down the TV and crank up the radio just to listen to him and Dieken for the sheer amazing homerism they bring to doing games., and he brings a great amount of enthusiasm to the broadcast booth.

As far as Donovan is concerned, i think some of it isn't his fault. A lot of people (like me) still remember Nev Chandler. And no one compares to Nev. I like Donovan. But, no matter how good he is, he will never live up to Nev. It's just like the poor guy who has to follow Joe. The guy can be a great PBP guy, but, in our eyes, he will never be like Joe.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby 1Perry » Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 am

Hamilton should be around for many more years. Hearing him on the radio the first time at the start of a new season is something I look forward to evry year.

I don't think Hamilton ever expected Pronk to hit one out there and was as excited as the fans in the stadium (btw, great crowd).
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby mikeperry » Mon May 16, 2011 12:10 am

My father in law is from the Pittsburgh area and has been a Pirates fan all his life. He came to Ohio a few years back and was listening to the Indians game with me. When it was over he asked me, "Who is that announcer? He's great." Now, even though he still lives in Pittsburgh and roots for the Bucs, he listens to the Indians every chance he gets. He has a camp in Erie where he spends some weekends with his wife, and he will find the Indians Radio Network there. This man is not an Indians fan, but he is so impressed with Hammy that he tries to listen to as many Tribe games as possible. Kind of like me with Vin Scully. That is the sign of a great announcer, when people seek out your work when they have no rooting interest in either team playing.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby T_N_T » Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 pm

mikeperry wrote:My father in law is from the Pittsburgh area and has been a Pirates fan all his life. He came to Ohio a few years back and was listening to the Indians game with me. When it was over he asked me, "Who is that announcer? He's great." Now, even though he still lives in Pittsburgh and roots for the Bucs, he listens to the Indians every chance he gets. He has a camp in Erie where he spends some weekends with his wife, and he will find the Indians Radio Network there. This man is not an Indians fan, but he is so impressed with Hammy that he tries to listen to as many Tribe games as possible. Kind of like me with Vin Scully. That is the sign of a great announcer, when people seek out your work when they have no rooting interest in either team playing.

570 WKBN is a decent station out of Youngstown , I think they are still an Indians radio affiliate, tell him to try it, don't know if it can be received in Pittsburgh area but its worth a try. This clip is classic Hammy and is why he should be in the broadcasters HOF.
T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby fivekmd » Tue May 17, 2011 10:37 am

I live about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh and work in Pittsburgh proper and 570 comes in fine in both places for the most part. It is my only real link to the Tribe.
fivekmd

Location: Body: Pittsburgh, PA; Heart and Soul: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Brian Brennan
Least Favorite Player: Carlos Boozer

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue May 17, 2011 11:50 am

Triple-S wrote:
I disagree.

Having call a big game does not qualify you for being a good announcer. Tait was a great PBP guy through some shitty seasons before Snyder hit that runner vs the Bullets.

With Donovan, I keep waiting for more info on what's happening where w/ guys like Tait, he kept you up to date at all times.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:28 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Sadly, agree with this. But, in his defense, from my view on the Porch, I wasn't sure that he got enough of it either.

That said, hearing him say that the magic is back at Progressive Field gave me chills.

I agree with bioth sides really.

Love Hamilton but I do think the over emotional 'GOOOoooooonnne' on that specific call came off as contrived and over done.

In the press box last Tueday I went to piss as Hamilton was walking down the hall talking to his kid or wife on the phone. Kinda surreal hearing the dude carry on a piece of a conversation in anything other than a baseball setting. ;-) ;) :wink:

Oh yeah, Terry Pluto was hard at work in the press box too.....for two innings. Then he probably left and just read Pauly C's column before writing his own. :lmfao:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB