Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Acta's Use of Pinch Hitters

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Acta's Use of Pinch Hitters

Unread postby aclayman » Wed May 11, 2011 2:54 pm

This is probably something Paulie C. would take the time to assess with actual stats, but I am too lazy. It's not a complaint exactly (who's complaining at this point?), but it certainly seems like Acta has been almost unusually reluctant, from my observations, to pinch-hit in what would seem to be obvious situations: ie, Sizemore or Hafner or LaPorta are available on the bench and Austin Kearns or Adam Everett are due up in the 8th inning of a close game. Maybe it's a lefty/righty thing in some instances... or concern for potential extra innings and having bench guys available later. Certainly compared to Wedge and Hargrove during past contending seasons, though, it feels a bit different (Wayne Kirby might spell Manny Ramirez from time to time, but when the game's on the line, his ass is back on the bench).

This could and likely would change later in the year, of course. Still, I'd prefer having the best available guy take the swings when it counts.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Re: Acta's Use of Pinch Hitters

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:06 pm

I think part of it is due to the fact that when a Sizemore or Hafner is available on the bench, it's because he wants to give them a full day off due to injury. I do agree, I was pleading for a Sizemore/Hafner appearance a couple of weeks ago in a close game when both were available on the bench, but when questioned about it after the game Acta replied that he wasnted them to have a full day's rest.

He's used Sloth a few times off the bench when Hanahan or Brantley has come up against a tough lefty, if I recall correctly.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

You are correct.

These stats actually are available on ESPN.com on the Team Batting Stats in their baseball section. (Go to Stats, then select Team Batting.)

Under Expanded II Batting Stats, it shows the number of pinch-hit ABs for each team. Cleveland is 26th in all of baseball (tied actually), with 7. Only three teams have used fewer.

Hopefully all seven were used for Adam Everett.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed May 11, 2011 5:31 pm

P.S. AL average use of PH is 11 times.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 pm

National League teams are going to use pinch hitters a lot more than AL teams for obvious reasons. So you have to compare the Tribe's frequency of pinch hitting to the other AL teams.

But yeah, Acta doesn't seem interested in pinch hitting except for using Duncan from time to time.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB