Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe's Approach/BP & Pregame

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe's Approach/BP & Pregame

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Interesting watching the Indians take batting practice. And while I have no stats to back this up ( ;-) ;) :wink: ) these guys look to hit nothing but the middle of the field during BP. Back some years it was a Muscle Show with guys hitting balls into the Plaza, into the bleachers and into the playground that was thankfully replaced by Budweiser Patio.

Not any more. You could count the number of balls to the foul line side of left center and right center on a couple hands. Everything is back up the box and that's clearly their focus during BP.

And if they're not hitting the middle of the field they're shooting balls the other way. It's good to see in that it keeps them on the baseball for a longer period of time and if they do get something to hit on the inner half their eyes light up.

You talk about the return of fundamentals to a ballclub and you look at moving runners and taking away outs rather than giving them. But a lot of their offensive fundamentals are in play during BP.

By the way, if they were keeping stats Austin Kearns would have been about 3 for 40. :hide:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tribe's Approach/BP & Pregame

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:07 pm

From the 'Stupid Shit I Didn't Realize' Department:

Indians have won 18 of their last 20 games against the Rays at Progressive Field.

Tribe holds the largest run differential (+48) of any team in MLB.

Josh Tomlin is 9th in AL in ERA (2.43) and 1st in Average Against (.174)

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Yeah, this team is pretty damn good.

Hell FAIC they could do coke and chase whores around the infield if they keep this up.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Hell FAIC they could do coke and chase whores around the infield if they keep this up.

That's what they're doing right now while the Rays take BP. It's pandemonium out there. Ground crew is pissed because Santana, Choo and Kearns just erased the 3rd base line. It's all over their faces.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:Interesting watching the Indians take batting practice. And while I have no stats to back this up ( ;-) ;) :wink: ) these guys look to hit nothing but the middle of the field during BP. Back some years it was a Muscle Show with guys hitting balls into the Plaza, into the bleachers and into the playground that was thankfully replaced by Budweiser Patio.

Not any more. You could count the number of balls to the foul line side of left center and right center on a couple hands. Everything is back up the box and that's clearly their focus during BP.

And if they're not hitting the middle of the field they're shooting balls the other way. It's good to see in that it keeps them on the baseball for a longer period of time and if they do get something to hit on the inner half their eyes light up.

You talk about the return of fundamentals to a ballclub and you look at moving runners and taking away outs rather than giving them. But a lot of their offensive fundamentals are in play during BP.

That's nice to see. I wonder (pure speculation) if there's something of a league-wide trend to this, what with the post-steroid era drop in scoring.

By the way, if they were keeping stats Austin Kearns would have been about 3 for 40. :hide:

Ouch. It's almost enough to make you pine for the return of Trevor Crowe.

Ok, it's enough. It's been enough for the last month.

When "They" talk about regression, this is what They are talking about.

But I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Jumbo wrote:

True. But Tomlin is young enough that we aren't really sure yet what his 'mean' is. I mean, ther's not much chance that it's 2011 Tomlin but it may be possible that it's not 2010 Tomlin either.

He's still establishing his mean, no?

Taking both short seasons into account his ERA is 3.80 and his WHIP is 1.091. I guess you could argue he could regress to that but one could also argue that maybe his 2 years at AAA (2.76 and 1.097) aren't ridiculous.

I'd tend to think he'll regress somewhere between 2.76 and 3.80 but maybe dude's just figured out what he's doing and his development continued at a brisk pace.

Wishful thinking but that's my story....

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

True. But Tomlin is young enough that we aren't really sure yet what his 'mean' is. I mean, ther's not much chance that it's 2011 Tomlin but it may be possible that it's not 2010 Tomlin either.

He's still establishing his mean, no?

Well sure, to a point. But he's already 26. So he's only got so much more room to develop. Unless what you're getting at is we simply don't know how good he's going to be in MLB yet, especially after the next trip through the league, then that's true.

The bigger issue is that he's had some good fortune on batted balls in play and been able to escape from some jams. Now, that's all well and good, but it's unlikely to be sustainable.

This isn't necessarily related to Tomlin, but I'm always wary of pitchers whose top positive quality is "Getting Out of Jams." I'd rather have pitchers who are good at not getting into jams.

Taking both short seasons into account his ERA is 3.80 and his WHIP is 1.091. I guess you could argue he could regress to that but one could also argue that maybe his 2 years at AAA (2.76 and 1.097) aren't ridiculous.

I'd tend to think he'll regress somewhere between 2.76 and 3.80 but maybe dude's just figured out what he's doing and his development continued at a brisk pace.

Wishful thinking but that's my story....

Yeah. I could see him with an ERA in the mid 3s and be pleased with that for a #3-4 starter.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue May 10, 2011 9:03 pm

peeker643 wrote:From the 'Stupid Shit I Didn't Realize' Department:

Indians have won 18 of their last 20 games against the Rays at Progressive Field.

Just what this board needs - another stat geek. Just watch the game, Meat, your eyes will tell you everything you need to know. ;-) ;) :wink:
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue May 10, 2011 9:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:Interesting watching the Indians take batting practice. And while I have no stats to back this up ( ;-) ;) :wink: ) these guys look to hit nothing but the middle of the field during BP. Back some years it was a Muscle Show with guys hitting balls into the Plaza, into the bleachers and into the playground that was thankfully replaced by Budweiser Patio.

Interesting observation. Now we know why Pronk isn't hitting home runs anymore.

I think Santana needs extra batting practice if the idea is to hit it up the middle.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Prosecutor wrote:

Interesting observation. Now we know why Pronk isn't hitting home runs anymore.

I think Santana needs extra batting practice if the idea is to hit it up the middle.

Choo and AsCab went middle/opposite in the first. I will not complain about Grady pulling the ball.

I told you I look at the stats Pros. Gotta keep friends close and stat-heads closer. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue May 10, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm fine with Choo and AC, but Carlos pulled the ball to the 1st baseman for a rally killing double play in the first, then pulled it batting right-handed to the 3rd baseman with a runner on 3rd his next time up.

Tampa has the shift on against him when he hits left-handed, which makes it that much tougher if he pulls the ball every time.

I still don't know why we have a player with less than 300 ML at-bats and hitting .218 batting cleanup when Hafner is hitting .347 and has years of experience in the 4 hole.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Shit! I thought this thread was about Brandon Phillips.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed May 11, 2011 6:49 am

peeker643 wrote:From the 'Stupid Shit I Didn't Realize' Department:

Ha, our 4th starter is the most unhittable starter in the AL
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 am

Prosecutor wrote:I'm fine with Choo and AC, but Carlos pulled the ball to the 1st baseman for a rally killing double play in the first, then pulled it batting right-handed to the 3rd baseman with a runner on 3rd his next time up.

Tampa has the shift on against him when he hits left-handed, which makes it that much tougher if he pulls the ball every time.

I still don't know why we have a player with less than 300 ML at-bats and hitting .218 batting cleanup when Hafner is hitting .347 and has years of experience in the 4 hole.

The guy's whole approach is a soup sandwich right now Pros. He more than anyone needs to go back to that 'center of the diamond' philosophy. Pull-happy is a sure sign he's anxious and that he's pressing.

And he's probably there now because you don't kick a winner and because Acta may have a feeling that removing him from that spot only weakens his confidence further.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB