Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Carlos Santana is better than Buster Posey

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Carlos Santana is better than Buster Posey

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 pm

I see nothing wrong with this thread...
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Pretty interesting event going on over at ESPN.com right now. The Franchise Player Draft. 30 people each taking 1 player to build their franchise around.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=110601franchisedraft

Why does it fit? Because Carlos Santana just went #17. And Buster Posey went #18. the injury has something to do with that, but not that much.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby scrambler » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Despite his obvious struggles this year, Santana has the highest OBP on the active roster. Hard to think what his potential actually is with the bat. What is clear is that even a .225 hitting Santana is a postive offensively.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:26 pm

pup wrote:Pretty interesting event going on over at ESPN.com right now. The Franchise Player Draft. 30 people each taking 1 player to build their franchise around.

Why does it fit? Because Carlos Santana just went #17. And Buster Posey went #18. the injury has something to do with that, but not that much.

That is pretty interesting. And I actually think they're both a little too high. (As is Mauer, above both of them.)

Tulo-Longoria-King Felix is a fine 1-2-3, although I might change the order around a little bit.

And it looks like 25 picks have been made (so far), and Kershaw just got picked at #25, with no Michael Pineda yet. I'd probably pick either over Strasburg (#22), unless you assume it's just a matter of time before they get their TJ surgery.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:30 pm

scrambler wrote:Despite his obvious struggles this year, Santana has the highest OBP on the active roster. Hard to think what his potential actually is with the bat. What is clear is that even a .225 hitting Santana is a postive offensively.

As Nino mentioned today, Santana isn't seeing many strikes. It might just be as simple as having Grady hitting behind him and getting better pitches to hit.

(I hope.)
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey

Unread postby statmasta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:22 pm

pup wrote:Pretty interesting event going on over at ESPN.com right now. The Franchise Player Draft. 30 people each taking 1 player to build their franchise around.

Wow, Tulowitzki is so overrated it's ridiculous.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

statmasta wrote:

Wow, Tulowitzki is so overrated it's ridiculous.

I totally agree on this. Tulo is a great player no doubt, but in no way a top 5 or even top 10 player. Look at the career lines of Tulo and Droobs. They are amazingly similar, with the exception of Tulo's extra power(until now)
Symbolic47

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Please don'[t take this as a slam on Asdrubal, who I am loving this year. And he may, in fact, have a career that rivals Tulo's.

But, are you guys nuts?

Tulo is 2 years older but has had 2 seasons with an OPS over .900 and OPS+ of 138 & 131 in those years. and he has 4 OPS+ seasons of over 100 out of 5 full season.

Droobs career high was an ops+ of 114, and he has yet to top .900 in OPS.

Also, Tulo is a great defender. I'm not sure if he's better than Droobs (I suspect he might be) but he's certainly not much worse.

Droobs has it all over Tulo, and every other SS this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Tulo is a 27 year old offensive juggernaut SS with a great glove that has been doing it for 5 years. He's a lot of things. Overrated is not one of them. Not even close.

Let's hope that Asdrubal can keep pace
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Please don'[t take this as a slam on Asdrubal, who I am loving this year. And he may, in fact, have a career that rivals Tulo's.

But, are you guys nuts?

Tulo is 2 years older but has had 2 seasons with an OPS over .900 and OPS+ of 138 & 131 in those years. and he has 4 OPS+ seasons of over 100 out of 5 full season.

Droobs career high was an ops+ of 114, and he has yet to top .900 in OPS.

Also, Tulo is a great defender. I'm not sure if he's better than Droobs (I suspect he might be) but he's certainly not much worse.

Droobs has it all over Tulo, and every other SS this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Tulo is a 27 year old offensive juggernaut SS with a great glove that has been doing it for 5 years. He's a lot of things. Overrated is not one of them. Not even close.

Let's hope that Asdrubal can keep pace

Tulo doesn't play for the Tribe. Duh.

As I mentioned someplace today, many of the same tools who will bitch all day about Jeter getting the All Star nod over AsCabrera will also punch out the name of Jason Donald or Matt LaPorta and have no thought about doing so.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 am

I wasn't saying Droobs is as good as Tulo. I was just pointing out I dont think he belongs in the top 5 in the game. I mean would you honestly choose Tulo over any of these guys?

- Pujols
- Longoria
- King Feliz
- Adrian Gonzales
- Tim Lincecum
- Joe Mauer( this one may be close with his injuries lately)
- Miguel Cabrera
- And I might even put his buddy Carlos Gonzales ahead of him( very close)

I sure wouldnt. Still Im not slighting him, still a VERY great payer. And a joy to watch. All those guys on the list that arent pitchers (besides MC) play GG caliber defense.
Symbolic47

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 am

Symbolic47 wrote:I wasn't saying Droobs is as good as Tulo. I was just pointing out I dont think he belongs in the top 5 in the game. I mean would you honestly choose Tulo over any of these guys?

- Pujols
- Longoria
- King Feliz
- Adrian Gonzales
- Tim Lincecum
- Joe Mauer( this one may be close with his injuries lately)
- Miguel Cabrera
- And I might even put his buddy Carlos Gonzales ahead of him( very close)

I sure wouldnt. Still Im not slighting him, still a VERY great payer. And a joy to watch. All those guys on the list that arent pitchers (besides MC) play GG caliber defense.

Yes. If I was starting a franchise today I would pick Tulo over Pujols, Mauer, and Cabrera for sure. I'd probably pick him over Longoria and Adrian Gonzalez too, although that would be closer. And I'd pick him over King Felix, and Timmy because, not only is he a position player who will play every day, he's a shortstop. He's invaluable.

Carlos Gonzalez...please.

So yeah, I'd pick him over most of those guys.

I know you weren't saying that Asdrubal is as good as Tulo (I'm a Tribe fan so I hope like hell that he is). But you did say that Tulo is overrated and he is most definitely not.

He's rated as one of the top players in the league, as he should be, because he is.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 am

I can see all Rocky games where I live. Cabrera isn't in the same hemisphere as Tulo defensively. Cabrera is in all honesty not that great a defensive player at all.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB