Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Another perfect storm?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Another perfect storm?

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Thu May 05, 2011 12:46 pm

OK, I'll just go ahead and throw this out there:

Remember when the Indians' need to rebuild combined with the Expos' sudden contention/impending contraction led to the perfect storm that was the Colon trade?

I'm wondering if something similar is shaping up, in reverse:

The Dodgers are a mess and, according to some reports, in danger of not making payroll. Of course, we know MLB or someone will bail them out, but you would think whoever bails them out would also insist that they shed as much payroll as possible.

The problem? Which team is best positioned to take on payroll? Say, a young, low-payroll team that suddenly, unexpectedly finds itself atop its division in early May? Like, say, the Indians?

Now the problem, of course, is the Dodgers with the biggest albatross salaries -- say, Lilly, Kuroda, Furcal, dare I say it, Casey Blake -- are guys no one would want at this point in their careers, and certainly not the Indians. But again, the Dodgers are desperate. So let's assume that, to shed a salary or two from that list, they'd also have to tadd something of value as an incentive -- say, a Billingsely or Kershaw or an Ethier or a Kemp -- and then get decent prospects in return.

So let's think -- which team has:
* A low enough payroll to possibly take on a bad contract or two, especially if there's a chance that their unexpected success and growing fan excitement (which a deal like this could only enhance) could mean an unexpected increase in revenues over the summer?
* A collection of prospects stocked throughout the minor league system to make such a deal work?
* A need to strike early and show the fans you're serious "spending when the time is right" while also acquiring a young star/building block so as to not mortgage the future on Casey Blake?

Like I said, the perfect storm. So how does this sound:
Pomeranz or White (they're going to get another high pick this year anyway); Kipinis or Chisenhall; Chen or one or more of the legion of young pitchers at the lower level;

For:

Billingsley or Kershaw and Lilly or Kuroda to solidify a rotation that many think is the team's weak link. (and maybe a Casey Blake also as a cost of doing business).

On further review, that sounds like I'm giving up way too much. (That's why I don't play poker.) But you get the idea -- get a young star or two at the cost of some prospects and a couple bad (hopefully shorter than longer term) contracts?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Pressrunnr on Thu May 05, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pressrunnr

Re: Another perfect storm?

Unread postby Lokais » Thu May 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Just to add another team into the equation, you've got the Mets looking to dump salary, too.
Lokais

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu May 05, 2011 1:08 pm

I wouldn't mind a bit of Matt Kemp and Chad Billingsley action

lol never gonna happen though
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby pup » Thu May 05, 2011 1:23 pm

If you think, for one second, that the Cleveland Indians are going to toss aside the work they have done to build the system into a potential strength to enter win now mode you are mistaken.

The "beauty" of the Tribe system at this time is not in glory prospects. It is in the depth of solid MLB players. To work a deal where you land some of the guys in your thoughts, even by taking on ugly contracts, you need some elites. So unless you think they have thoughts of trading Chiz, White or Pomeranz you do not have the equity to work this kind of deal.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Thu May 05, 2011 1:31 pm

pup wrote:If you think, for one second, that the Cleveland Indians are going to toss aside the work they have done to build the system into a potential strength to enter win now mode you are mistaken.

The "beauty" of the Tribe system at this time is not in glory prospects. It is in the depth of solid MLB players. To work a deal where you land some of the guys in your thoughts, even by taking on ugly contracts, you need some elites. So unless you think they have thoughts of trading Chiz, White or Pomeranz you do not have the equity to work this kind of deal.

I can't figure out if this is sarcasm or not.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Thu May 05, 2011 1:33 pm

jb wrote:
pup wrote:If you think, for one second, that the Cleveland Indians are going to toss aside the work they have done to build the system into a potential strength to enter win now mode you are mistaken.

Only the part of it being the beauty of the system.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby statmasta » Thu May 05, 2011 2:31 pm

I really hate the trade you suggested, but on a broader note...I actually wouldn't mind trading Alex White. But Drew Pomeranz we need to hang onto.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm

really hate the trade you suggested, but on a broader note...I actually wouldn't mind trading Alex White. But Drew Pomeranz we need to hang onto.

I backtracked almost the minute I wrote it myself.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby statmasta » Thu May 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Pressrunnr wrote:
really hate the trade you suggested, but on a broader note...I actually wouldn't mind trading Alex White. But Drew Pomeranz we need to hang onto.

I backtracked almost the minute I wrote it myself.

I get your bigger point, though. On the surface it makes sense, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on a similar type deal. Not yet, anyway.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jb » Thu May 05, 2011 2:50 pm

pup wrote:
jb wrote:

Only the part of it being the beauty of the system.

Ah. OK.

Then how come WE didn't get elite talent for CC , LEE and VMart?

becasue Shap is a dork or becasue the bar has been lowered in recent years?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:51 pm

If the Tribe is going to do something like that the most likely trade candidates in my opinion would be Chisenhall and White.

Chiz because they could pencil in Phelps as their 3rd baseman of the future. Phelps is a switch hitter whereas Chiz hits left-handed, and the Tribe's lineup is overweighted on the left side.

White is a right-handed starter, which the Tribe already has five of. Pomeranz is left-handed and has a higher upside, so I would prefer to move White.

I have no idea as to whether a reverse Colon deal that makes sense for the Indians is out there, but if it is I would start with Chiz and White. Chen makes sense if they need a catcher because Santana isn't going anywhere for a while.

What a difference a year makes. Last year we were moving Wood and Kearns and Peralta and Westbrook to cut salary. Now you're talking about moving prospects and adding salary. I don't think the front office is there yet, and I doubt they will be, unless the Indians maintain their lead and attendance explodes.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu May 05, 2011 3:09 pm

A certain adorable utility infielder may be available, however.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:A certain adorable utility infielder may be available, however.

Don't say that unless you mean it. :lmfao:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB