Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Now. Now they're for real.

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Now. Now they're for real.

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:37 am

You can't deny this team is a contender.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Now. Now they're for real.

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:06 am

Yeah, who's to fear in their division?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Crooked River » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 am

They have won games in every fashion but one: coming from one/two down in the 9th. Still, would we doubt them in that situation if it happens this weekend?

This team continues to thumb its noses at the doubters and it's time for the masses to come out to the Jake.

Enjoy it.
Crooked River

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 am

As of today the only team the Indians have played that's above .500 is the Angels at 15-11, and they only played three games against them. So far the Tribe has been feasting on losers and mediocre teams. They certainly look like they're for real, but I'm withholding judgement until I see what they do against teams that win more than they lose.

The strength of the team has been their starting pitching, but Gomez looks a little shaky and now Carrasco is going to miss at least two starts. Maybe Gomez improves and White turns out to be as good as Carrasco, but if not, it's going to be tough against the better teams. Fortunately, all the better teams are in other divisions so we don't play them that much. As long as the Twins, White Sox, and Tigers continue to suck we're in pretty good shape.

When Choo and Santana start hitting, look out.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 am

Prosecutor wrote:As of today the only team the Indians have played that's above .500 is the Angels at 15-11, and they only played three games against them. So far the Tribe has been feasting on losers and mediocre teams.

True, but the Tribe has made one or two of them losers, like KC.

And they've shown some resiliency, eg. bouncing back like this after the opening series of the season.

And like you seem to agree, even if they aren't an elite team, they at least look like the class of the division.
googleeph2

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 am

I think they are contenders now because of the teams in their division and because this is actually a pretty solid team, which is only going to get better because players like Hagadone, Kipnis, Chisenhall, Phelps, & De La Cruz could all be called up this year as reinforcements.

They will hit a rough spot and injuries are always the great equalizer but as long as they stay moderately healthy, I think they have a chance.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Damage » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 am

MAriners & Boston looking much better than when we faced them. It all sorts itself out. Bottom line, we're 17-8
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 pm

Everything I look at says the Tribe is for real.

Biggest division lead.
Largest run differential.
Tied for best record.
Most runs scored in AL.
Fourth-most HRs in baseball. (One behind second place.)
Best AVG and OBP in AL.

And all those supposed bad teams they are beating look a heck of a lot better when you take out their losses to the Indians.

Teams are good when they beat the snot out of their opponents. That's what the Indians are doing.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Baseball Tonight had a nice graphic a couple of nights a go, apprising viewers of the fact that every time the Indians have recorded 16 wins in April, they have gone onto claim a playoff berth.

The pitiful nature of this division certainly helps. Minnesota, KC and Chicago are all in the bottom 5 in pithcing and Detroit and Minnesota are among the worst hitting teams.

The Sox have massively fallen off with their hitting.

Gordon Beckham is at .202 Yes that same kid who torched the Indians and seemed to be hitting everything in the opening week. Even Quentin and Konerko have fallen below .300 now after their hot starts. And after those 2 the hitting looks putrid. Their bullpen is in tatters (excluding Santos) the starters aren't great, it's just chaos in Chicago.

Minnesota's team is just vile at the moment.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby davemanddd » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:22 pm

bookelly wrote:You can't deny this team is a contender.

yes!!! go tribe!!! :itcf:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby tired » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:19 pm

how sweet it is
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby The Brook » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Baseball Tonight had a nice graphic a couple of nights a go, apprising viewers of the fact that every time the Indians have recorded 16 wins in April, they have gone onto claim a playoff berth.

The pitiful nature of this division certainly helps. Minnesota, KC and Chicago are all in the bottom 5 in pithcing and Detroit and Minnesota are among the worst hitting teams.

The Sox have massively fallen off with their hitting.

Gordon Beckham is at .202 Yes that same kid who torched the Indians and seemed to be hitting everything in the opening week. Even Quentin and Konerko have fallen below .300 now after their hot starts. And after those 2 the hitting looks putrid. Their bullpen is in tatters (excluding Santos) the starters aren't great, it's just chaos in Chicago.

Minnesota's team is just vile at the moment.

Cleveland won 16 games during April in 1988.

They finished 78-84, 11 games out of first place and didn't make the playoffs.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:53 pm

It'd be nice to see them stretch out this lead for as long as they stay red hot. One thing about this division (and no, I'm not considering Minn or Det dead yet) is it has the worst starting pitching of any division in baseball.

Really. Name your 5 man rotation culled from every team in this division.

Bodes well if someone's tryin' to catch you from a ways, and also doesn't make the Tribe starting pitching look too bad, even with an imminent fall back to earth.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Their month of May looks just as favorable as far as scheduling goes. So, if they can build up a big enough lead .. they could coast to a division title the second half even with playing less than .500 ball.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I think today's game could be very significant. If White pitches well, the injury to Carrasco won't hurt us because he wasn't pitching that great. Then if Carrasco is ready in a week or so they'll have the option of putting him back in the rotation and sending Gomez back down.

We also need Hafner to be OK by the time we hit the road.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby 1Perry » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 pm

White pitched well. That certainly lessons any concerns about losing a starting pitcher...

I have no idea if they will win the division (but I'll agree that the rest of the teams in their division look less than impressive) I'm just glad for now they aren't going to be out of it mid-May.

The large walk up numbers today also bodes well if they need to make a trade at some point.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Did I hear a stat this weekend that the Tribe has something like 15 walk off wins v. Detroit in Jacobs field?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Realistically speaking, there are 135 games left. A lot can happen, especially when so many players are so young and unproven. Thing about baseball is that, with a 162-game season, winning 19 of 27 games can be an indication of a potential champion, or it could just be a decent winning streak. So realistically, I’m taking a wait-and-see attitude.

However, I want to believe, and I'll be attending way more games than usual this season. Even if they’re playing way over their head right now (and I’m not saying they are), they appear to have some excellent young talent that should provide plenty of thrills for the next two or three years minimum. And that’s considerably more than many of us hoped for, just one month ago.

Excited? Hell, yeah. Ready to crown them world champs? Whoa! Not yet: seen too many "June swoons."
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm addressing this very thing in the Glance tomorrow Jerry.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun May 01, 2011 10:07 pm

This team looks a lot like the 2005 Chicago White Sox to me. That year every major outlet projected them to finish 4th or 5th in the division. They took advantage of a weak early schedule and a red hot start and coasted in the 2nd half.

The Indians that year were red hot in the 2nd half but the Sox finished strong the last week and the tribe colapsed allowing the Sox to win the division. As that Sox team proved, once you're in the playoffs anything can happen.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby bookelly » Mon May 02, 2011 8:25 am

They play .550 ball from here and they win 93 games. .600 is 100 wins. .500 is 86.5 wins.

/oh, and fuck Bin Laden.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 am

Most fans wanted to see improvement this year.

By any realistic barometer, the season already looks like a success.
googleeph2

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon May 02, 2011 12:28 pm

I want to believe.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby KFletch » Mon May 02, 2011 1:19 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:This team looks a lot like the 2005 Chicago White Sox to me. That year every major outlet projected them to finish 4th or 5th in the division. They took advantage of a weak early schedule and a red hot start and coasted in the 2nd half.

The Indians that year were red hot in the 2nd half but the Sox finished strong the last week and the tribe colapsed allowing the Sox to win the division. As that Sox team proved, once you're in the playoffs anything can happen.

Oh dear God, please don't bring the ball into the sun that started the epic fail that was the 2005 Cleveland Indians. I lived in Chicago at the time and went to the series the week before were the Indians destroyed them at home. Then to get swept and Ozzy doing the choke symbol.

Obviously I still hold grudges.
KFletch

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon May 02, 2011 1:56 pm

KFletch wrote:
YahooFanChicago wrote:This team looks a lot like the 2005 Chicago White Sox to me. That year every major outlet projected them to finish 4th or 5th in the division. They took advantage of a weak early schedule and a red hot start and coasted in the 2nd half.

Oh dear God, please don't bring the ball into the sun that started the epic fail that was the 2005 Cleveland Indians. I lived in Chicago at the time and went to the series the week before were the Indians destroyed them at home. Then to get swept and Ozzy doing the choke symbol.

Obviously I still hold grudges.

Me too KFletch. We had moved to MA a couple years earlier. Red Sux fans on either side, rabid MA native who is a skankee fan across the street. The Saturday we lost to Chicago and the skankees backed into the playoffs because of our loss that skankee guy came across the street towards me, waving his beer and pointing, laughing his fatty assets off. I cried...not because I was sad but because I wanted to rip his head off (our kids knew to hide 'cuz if Mom was crying she was seriously PO'd). Jerk won't even look my since we used them to wipe up the field in 2007.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 pm

I think a good comparison -- and I obviously hope to heck I'm underestimating them -- is the 2001 Twins. Started fast, faded in 2nd half but still won 84-85 games and thus began a sustained run of year-in-year-out contention/division winners. (And who knows -- if there's no '01 Tribe to win 90 in the Central that year, maybe even that would mean playoffs this year)
Pressrunnr

Unread postby KFletch » Mon May 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Historically, the last 5 years aren't we a better second half team!?! Let's hope that trend con't.

I know I am super naive to think that we can con't this pace forever especially with such a young team...but my heart believes it is owed to us.
KFletch

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB