Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Upcoming Roadtrip

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Upcoming Roadtrip

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:09 am

A sweep would be great (and a strong possibility) to end the homestand because we face the 2 best pitching staffs next week on the road.

Oakland will be a tricky series with their league leading pitching staff but they are horrific in the offensive column.
Dead last in home runs with a pitiful 11, last in runs scored and RBIs, second last in batting AVG, last in walks.

It looks like our pitchers should be able to keep games close even if our hitting is stalled by Cahill, Anderson and co (unfortunately we will face both of those unbelievably lights on starters, neither of whom have allowed more than 2 runs in their starts this season.) It is certainly a series where we need to embrace the smallball.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Upcoming Roadtrip

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:40 am

Geez, BP, the Tribe just had a dramatic come-from-behind victory on a walk-off granny at home and you're already fretting about how they'll do next week? That's a Tribe fan for you.

Coming into last night's game Detroit was 5-0 when Scherzer started and 7-13 when he didn't. So their best shot at a win was last night and they didn't get it done. Huge win for the Tribe.

We got Alex White today in his first big league appearance, so let's see how he does. Hope he's not too amped. It would be nice if the Tribe can get him a lead early and take some pressure off.

The Tribe has scored between 7-9 runs the last four games so we'll see what they can do against better pitching next week, but for right now let's just enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:01 am

I know I know I expected this reaction but I just want to keep everyone's feet grounded on terra firma. We have a tough month ahead.

Loving the team of course and how everything is clicking, but like most of you I have been a Tribe fan for a while. I remember when I was just getting into baseball and I was hyping up every new Indians season and new player and had the childish enthusiasm to believe the Indians were destined for a grade season and that a chang eof luck was just round the corner. Now I actually need convincing.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:45 am

Winning!!!
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:47 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:Now I actually need convincing.

Don't we all.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:18 am

Looks like we'll have Weaver and haren in LA too. Bad times

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:26 am

Oakland pitching always kills us. I think the games will be close. My gut tells me we lose 2 out of 3. While we have the better team, Cahill and Anderson are better overall starters ( and left handed ) . As long at they play close like they have all year and give themselves chances to win, that's all I ask for at this point in time.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Oakland pitching always kills us. I think the games will be close. My gut tells me we lose 2 out of 3. While we have the better team, Cahill and Anderson are better overall starters ( and left handed ) . As long at they play close like they have all year and give themselves chances to win, that's all I ask for at this point in time.

Cahill is right-handed.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:48 pm

thats right he is, I dont know why I always think he is left handed, its probably cause he is a ginger
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:45 pm

I had the same thing with John lackey (always thinking he's left handed) but he's not ginger so I have no excuse.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Brett Anderson gave up 7 earned runs on 9 hits today over 5 innings. His ERA skyrocketed all the way up, too... 2.95.

Really shows how dominant he was before that. But maybe we're catching him at the right time.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:51 pm

statmasta wrote:Brett Anderson gave up 7 earned runs on 9 hits today over 5 innings. His ERA skyrocketed all the way up, too... 2.95.

Really shows how dominant he was before that. But maybe we're catching him at the right time.

I was just about to post the ass raping he received today.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 01, 2011 12:15 pm

statmasta wrote:Brett Anderson gave up 7 earned runs on 9 hits today over 5 innings. His ERA skyrocketed all the way up, too... 2.95.

Gio Gonzalez has an ERA near 7 in his last two starts. For the season, he's at 2.70.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby noles1 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Noticed Weaver got pushed back today. Any chance we miss him entirely now?

Suppose he would need to get pushed back another day but not sure.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby The Brook » Mon May 02, 2011 1:11 pm

noles1 wrote:Noticed Weaver got pushed back today. Any chance we miss him entirely now?

He is scheduled to pitch today so it looks like he will probably pitch Saturday. Still great news for me as I'm going to the game Friday and I've seen him shut down the Indians too many times in Anaheim.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon May 02, 2011 3:34 pm

The Brook wrote:
noles1 wrote:Noticed Weaver got pushed back today. Any chance we miss him entirely now?

He is scheduled to pitch today so it looks like he will probably pitch Saturday. Still great news for me as I'm going to the game Friday and I've seen him shut down the Indians too many times in Anaheim.

It looks like in both series we need to win game 1

because in Oakland the series ends with having to face Cahill then Anderson and in Anaheim it ends with Weaver and Haren

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I wouldn't just write off the Tribe's chances in any game, BP.

The A's are ranked 13th out of 14 in runs scored. They're averaging less than 3.5 runs per game. The Indians lead the AL in scoring, so if they can scrape together 3 or 4 runs and get good pitching they can win any or all of those games. The Oakland games should be low scoring affairs, which can go either way.

The Angels are 8th in scoring and have a better record than Oakland, which is a .500 team in spite of having the best team ERA in the league. The Angels are 2nd in ERA behind Oakland, but the Tribe is 3rd so it will be two strong pitching staffs with the Tribe having a big edge in offense, 146 runs scored to 114.

I'll be happy if they come away with a split. The A's are .500 at home so they're beatable. The Angels are a better team so that series will be a challenge. But they're 6-7 at home, thanks mainly to getting swept four straight by the Red Sox. When the Tribe played the Angels in April the Halos managed to score only 6 runs in three games. This time around the Tribe has Grady, and Choo is starting to hit. Should be an interesting road trip and a good test. Hopefully Pronk will be able to play.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 pm

I would just like to at least see a 3-3 road trip against two tough pitching staffs
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Should make for some pretty quick games. Got to learn how to beat great pitchers to become a great team anyway.

Tomlin vs. Cahill should be awesome.

And at least we got Chatwood first game against the Angels again. We've been a .500 road team so far. 3-3 is doable.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm

He's pitching against the Red Sux right now. I've been listening to the LA feed (no Tribe game and I'm going through baseball withdrawal already) and Weaver has been struggling a lot tonight. He just finished the bottom of the fifth and he's at 107 pitches. Took him 13 pitches when facing that little gnat Pedroia...and Pedroia won the battle. The game guys keep mentioning how Weaver's last couple of games have been kinda tough. Much as I would prefer the Angels beat the Sux I would like to see Weaver continue to struggle...and then we keep up the trend when we face him out west.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue May 03, 2011 10:24 am

Prosecutor wrote:I wouldn't just write off the Tribe's chances in any game, BP.

The A's are ranked 13th out of 14 in runs scored. They're averaging less than 3.5 runs per game. The Indians lead the AL in scoring, so if they can scrape together 3 or 4 runs and get good pitching they can win any or all of those games. The Oakland games should be low scoring affairs, which can go either way.

I'm well aware of that as my original post in the thread indicates

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Tue May 03, 2011 10:58 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I would just like to at least see a 3-3 road trip against two tough pitching staffs

Thats my thinking. This team is due for an ugly loss too, best to get it out of the way during a 10pm start. 3-3 on a west coast trip should be considered a success.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby CTtribefan » Tue May 03, 2011 11:06 am

Any word on the status of Hafner, Talbot, and CC part 2?
CTtribefan

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Paul Konerko

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB