Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

When are they "for real"?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

When are they "for real"?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:53 am

At what point do we start to consider this team a contender? The common notion is that you judge a team after 40 games, basically mid-May. So, when does this become more than just a hot start?

I know they've played a relatively weak schedule and they caught Boston at a very opportune time (not like we were playing that well in our first series). But, they're beating teams you must beat to win divisions. Beat up the scrubs, play a little better than .500 against the good teams.

9-2 at home. We won our 9th home game on June 9th last year. We won our 15th game on May 16. We went 4-11 after that to close May at 19-31.

When do you guys start taking this team as a legitimate AL Central threat? When do we really start embracing this as a chance to be something special?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: When are they "for real"?

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am

skatingtripods wrote:At what point do we start to consider this team a contender? The common notion is that you judge a team after 40 games, basically mid-May. So, when does this become more than just a hot start?

I know they've played a relatively weak schedule and they caught Boston at a very opportune time (not like we were playing that well in our first series). But, they're beating teams you must beat to win divisions. Beat up the scrubs, play a little better than .500 against the good teams.

9-2 at home. We won our 9th home game on June 9th last year. We won our 15th game on May 16. We went 4-11 after that to close May at 19-31.

When do you guys start taking this team as a legitimate AL Central threat? When do we really start embracing this as a chance to be something special?

I already think they're an AL Central threat just based on how terrible the rest of the Central looks. Still need some time before I think they could make any noise in the playoffs though and Fausto definitely has to be more consistent. If you had told me they'd be 15-8 with Fausto as their worst starting pitcher, I would have laughed in your face.... and continued to do so for probably the whole season.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 am

After the AS break.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 am

June 1st.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 am

You look at the schedule, mid-May to mid-June is a meat grinder. Right after game 40 ... they go:

2 at KC, 2 at CHIW
6 game homestand against the Reds and Red Sox
6 game road trip at TB and TOR
6 game home stand vs TEX and MIN
6 game road trip at NYY and DET

That will put them 58 games into the season.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:23 am

swerb wrote:You look at the schedule, mid-May to mid-June is a meat grinder. Right after game 40 ... they go:

2 at KC, 2 at CHIW
6 game homestand against the Reds and Red Sox
6 game road trip at TB and TOR
6 game home stand vs TEX and MIN
6 game road trip at NYY and DET

That will put them 58 games into the season.

Please don't ever use the word grinder on this board again.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:28 pm

I'm with Swerb, game 58. Pauly and others looked at the schedule before the year and talked about how it was relatively easy early and stacked with home games. We all agreed that this team had BETTER get off to a hot start, because if not they would be buried by mid-June. So to this point, they've done what they needed to do (and then-some). We thought they could play several games over .500 through April, but I don't think anyone was predicting the #1 run differential in the league.

I think they are "for real" and will be in it for the long haul. If they still have the best record in the AL by July 1, I'd be happily surprised. If they aren't in 1st or 2nd in the Central on July 1, I'll be really dissapointed.

GRINDER
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Eckersley » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I think they'll be back near .500 at the 50 game mark, but nobody in the Central is doing anything, so they may contend for quite awhile.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:01 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Pauly and others looked at the schedule before the year and talked about how it was relatively easy early and stacked with home games. We all agreed that this team had BETTER get off to a hot start, because if not they would be buried by mid-June. So to this point, they've done what they needed to do (and then-some). We thought they could play several games over .500 through April, but I don't think anyone was predicting the #1 run differential in the league.

Yeah, I really liked their April schedule for a lot of reasons. I'm a big fan of early season road trips to the West Coast because I think they can serve as team bonding and chemistry trips. The guys go out to eat together and bullshit in the hotel, probably pull a few pranks. Make Pestano pay a $5000 dinner bill. Things like that are huge for young teams.

I expected them to keep their heads above water in April, but, with 3 games left and having a legit shot at 17-9 to end the month, that's awesome.

I'll be interested to see what direction they go with both Carrasco and Talbot out. Gomez was effective in relief against MIN, and was pretty ineffective as a starter, both in KC and last year. In terms of ML-ready SP depth, they don't have much. You need that 6th and 7th guy if you want to be in the thick of things because injuries are inevitable.

Detroit has a brutal May. 4 with NYY, 6 with BOS, 6 with TOR, 3 with TB, and 4 with MIN. The Twins have a chance to get on track after they finish 4 with BOS from the 6-9. The second half of May is rough for CWS.

Keep taking care of your own business. Put the pressure on the others.

To my question, I can't really answer it, hence why I posed it. I'll tell you what, though. The players think they're for real.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm just glad the team has played well enough to even start a thread like this.

All the sports, there's nothing like watching winning baseball over an extended period of time.

The grind of the season, the ups and downs, the changes of seasons, the culimination of it all in Sept and Oct as the other sports get rolling.

I love it.

April has been fun.

And we've only been able to say that 1-2 times these last 10 years.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:35 pm

swerb wrote:
The grind of the season, the ups and downs, the changes of seasons, the culimination of it all in Sept and Oct as the other sports get rolling.

When I asked to cease the use of grinder, I guess I needed to more be specific and say that includes all derivitives of grinder as well....grind, grinding, grinded, ground, grindable, grindability, grindingly, regrind, and any others.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Re: When are No

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:58 pm

June 1 is the standard answer for this question...but yes, looking at that schedule in the first two of June going Rangers-Twins-Yankees-Tigers means that on June 16 you can take a fair look at what this team has. The key will be whether the pitching can hold up, given injuries, bullpen inconsistency, etc.

At that point, if the team is within a few games of first in the Central heading into interleague play, this could be a really fun summer.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:04 pm

They've got to just take it one game at a time, keep grinding out wins.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Soon as this goes on:

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:35 pm

swerb wrote:They've got to just take it one game at a time, keep grinding out wins.

This. The season is a grind and they have to keep their intensity up. Just have to keep playing the game the right way.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Never get too high or too low. Just grind it out.

And more facial ticks from Acta.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Eckersley » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Gotta keep winning. Nobody gives a shat about playing the game the right way or respecting the game. Those are cliches for losers.

Winning games is the only thing that matters.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby redneckofsc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Fernando Cabrera
Alvie Morman
Carmeron Cairncross
Jason Davis
Sean DePaula
Alex Ramirez
Jim Brower
Carl Salder
Robert Pugmire
Kane Davis
Tim Drew
Roy Smith
Francisco Cruceta
Ricardo Rodriguez
Jarrod Riggan
Wily Tavares
Macier Izturis
Alex Herrera
Aaron Myette
Albie Lopez

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby hebner20 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Fausto is the worst starter and they are doing this well. THAT scares me. It could get ugly if masterson starts getting knocked around and the rest of the staff comes back to the field. The pitching will be the real decider here.

I think the defense is better, pronk and grady are back from the bone-yard and santana and choo will improve so we've got that going for us - which is nice.

I have no idea when they become real but I'll know it when i see it.

I am loving the fact they are playing well and I will ride it for all it's worth enjoying every minute of it.

Too bad I have to follow them via internet,national TV etc since I now live in Georgia. That is why it is good to have this site to keep me in touch with what is up. I am now reading some of the articles too which is very helpful.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:44 pm

They are for real when they are in the playoff hunt. If on Sept 1st, they are in 1st or just a few games out, they are for real. Even if they're smoking hot going into the All-star break, they still can fade away. I hate saying this given how well they're playing, but baseball is a long season.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby KFletch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Every day I check the standings and sit there in disbelief. I will say April has been one hell of a ride and I wear my Tribe shirts around Detroit with a little more pride and cockiness ;-)
KFletch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 pm

KFletch wrote:I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Every day I check the standings and sit there in disbelief. I will say April has been one hell of a ride and I wear my Tribe shirts around Detroit with a little more pride and cockiness ;-)

Welcome back to the forums .... :thumb up:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby KFletch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:57 pm

haha I have been a hard core lurker and had another baby since the Tribe was good... :) And thanks to the iphone I can chat & play blocks at the same time. LOL!
KFletch

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Toxicadam

Unread postby redneckofsc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 am

Toxicadam wrote:2003 Royals. Just sayin ..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams ... ores.shtml

Or these guys

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am

Now come on guys lets not get our Duabers down. You dont look to the future. We take it one game at a time. I dont care about Saturday,I care about today. ;-) ;) :wink:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby General » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:22 pm

November 15
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB