Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Grady Activated & Leading Off/Talbot to DL

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Grady Activated & Leading Off/Talbot to DL

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 am

Chink in the SP armor and Buck gets a reprieve. Hopefully Talbot just needs some RICE and it's not more severe than that.

http://bit.ly/f44M5A
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Cleveland Indians
tribeinsider Cleveland Indians
Grady Sizemore has been activated and is leading off today vs. BALT. Mitch Talbot to the DL (right elbow strain). Will miss 3-4 weeks.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Grady Activated & leading Off/Talbot to DL

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:42 am

That injury came out of nowhere for Talbot.

You'd hope it's only 3-4 weeks but, whenever you hear elbow strain you automatically fear TJ surgery might not be too far away.

Question is do we see Huff or Gomez now.... my preference would be Gomez.

Brantley not starting today with Sizemore back.... I assume that it's just coincidence that it's Brantley's time for a day off and not a sign of things to come.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:11 am

Hopefully you're right daz, the Sizemore at leadoff is just to give Brantley a breather. Wouldn't make sense for Acta to switch leadoff hitters daily especially if Grady is only playing 3 to 4 days a week. As of now, Brantley has earned the lead off position and this lineup would benefit having a hitter like Sizemore in the lower part of the lineup
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:34 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:That injury came out of nowhere for Talbot.

You'd hope it's only 3-4 weeks but, whenever you hear elbow strain you automatically fear TJ surgery might not be too far away.

Question is do we see Huff or Gomez now.... my preference would be Gomez.

Brantley not starting today with Sizemore back.... I assume that it's just coincidence that it's Brantley's time for a day off and not a sign of things to come.

Yeah, talbot. Where did that come from? Travis Buck breathes a sigh of relief. Short lived, though, as we still need a starter when Talbot's turn comes around.

I'm with Daz, I think I'd like to see Gomez.

I also hope that Brantley returns to the top of the lineup. Maybe it's because of Wedge, but I prefer a consistent lineup where guys come to the park and know where they are going to be hitting because it's where they usually hit. I'm not thrilled about the idea of having Grady and Brantley switching on and off there.

You know, unless it works.

Best case scenario is that Brantley keeps getting on base from the leadoff spot and Sizemore makes it impossible to keep himself out of that spot. Now that would be a good problem to have.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Grady Activated & Leading Off/Talbot to DL

Unread postby andrew6586 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:00 am

At least Fausto will be going up against a non-ace today and can get some run support. Hopefully he can get a W today.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby redneckofsc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:06 am

I hope to God that it is Gomez. I really so not want to see Huff in Cleveland again
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 am

Huff is pitching today for Columbus and Gomez is scheduled to go on Tuesday which was Talbot's next scheduled start for the Tribe, so I'd be surprised if it's not Gomez.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:53 am

Explains Talbot being pushed back a day. Tough break, he was throwing the ball so well.

Can't imagine it being anyone but Gomez right now, though Huff, IIRC, has been throwing well so far.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

I vote Alex White, Just to be different, But it should be Gomez, I never want to see Huff again.

Brantley should keep his leadoff spot as well. Unfortunately what I see is a constant flip between Grady and Brantley in the #1 and 9 spots every other day.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Look, while I don't know if this is permanent or not, Brantley took an 0-for-5 collar yesterday and looked terrible doing it. Kid could use a day off and with Sizemore back, today's a good chance for it.

Brantley also should have run down that ball in CF. Maybe he was a little sluggish.

Get Grady in there, on a Kids Fun Day, put him somewhere he's comfortable since we know he'll be anxious, and then decide on Monday in KC where you really want him.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:06 pm

The Talbot situation/injury concerns me just because it came out of nowhere and after watching his entire start, it's really disappointing.

Good to see Grady back, not sure how I feel about the leadoff thing but that bat in the lineup and then Brantley's speed will make this lineup even more lethal. Just need Carlos to get going liek Choo is starting to show.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:16 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Look, while I don't know if this is permanent or not, Brantley took an 0-for-5 collar yesterday and looked terrible doing it. Kid could use a day off and with Sizemore back, today's a good chance for it.

Brantley also should have run down that ball in CF. Maybe he was a little sluggish.

Get Grady in there, on a Kids Fun Day, put him somewhere he's comfortable since we know he'll be anxious, and then decide on Monday in KC where you really want him.

I thought that too. I was surprised he didn't get to that ball. Maybe a day off will do him some good.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:01 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Look, while I don't know if this is permanent or not, Brantley took an 0-for-5 collar yesterday and looked terrible doing it. Kid could use a day off and with Sizemore back, today's a good chance for it.

I thought that too. I was surprised he didn't get to that ball. Maybe a day off will do him some good.

Kinda thought that too, but you gotta credit sloppy field in that one...
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby TonyIPI » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Talbot injury is interesting as it did come out of nowhere. But, in dealing with discussing injuries in the past with several players, I am not surprised. A lot of people may not understand or know the Indians (or any team) don't discuss injuries unless they are asked. They don't tell reporters or anyone, "hey, so-and-so has x injury." If no one asks, they don't tell. They also when asked are extremely vague until more info is obtained confirming things. Because of Hippa, the front office/team cannot speculate or discuss injuries unless confirmed and/or the player okays the release of the information. So while some may think this injury came out of nowhere, the Indians and Talbot had been working through this the past few days with tests behind the scenes (MRI, etc).
Follow me on Twitter: @TonyIPI
STOHD.com blog: http://www.stohd.com/Blogs/MinorHappenings.aspx
2011 Indians Top 100 Prospects and More book now available: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -book.html
TonyIPI

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Trevor Crowe

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:53 pm

From how Hamilton was talking about Sizemore the other nite, the CF/leadoff thing is firm. Sounded like it has nothing to do with Brantley either.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:06 pm

googleeph2 wrote:From how Hamilton was talking about Sizemore the other nite, the CF/leadoff thing is firm. Sounded like it has nothing to do with Brantley either.

That's how I understood it as well.

No questions, no movement based on matchups, etc. That's not the plan now. Things change, but Sizemore was, is and will be the CF/leadoff hitter.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:From how Hamilton was talking about Sizemore the other nite, the CF/leadoff thing is firm. Sounded like it has nothing to do with Brantley either.

No questions, no movement based on matchups, etc. That's not the plan now. Things change, but Sizemore was, is and will be the CF/leadoff hitter.

I'm cool with that. I'd be cool with batting him 7th for a while too. What I didn't want is for him and Brantley to be moving up and down the lineup depending on the day.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:39 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I'm cool with that. I'd be cool with batting him 7th for a while too. What I didn't want is for him and Brantley to be moving up and down the lineup depending on the day.

It should be noted that I'm yakking all over every call I make these days. From the Hafner homer on Friday to Jake Fox looking like he was holding the wrong end of the bat Saturday before hitting a 400ft HR off Tomlin.

I'm not running well.

But the messaging from the weekend was there wouldn't be jockeying between Sizemore and Brantley. Of course the Indians said Talbot was just being pushed back a day or two before we learned his arm fell off. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:Of course the Indians said Talbot was just being pushed back a day or two before we learned his arm fell off. ;-) ;) :wink:

Better than what happened to Harry's pet parakeet Petey.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:04 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Of course the Indians said Talbot was just being pushed back a day or two before we learned his arm fell off. ;-) ;) :wink:

Better than what happened to Harry's pet parakeet Petey.

I hope that the Indians are handling Talbots arm a little bit better.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB