Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe vs Orioles 4/16/11

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Tribe vs Orioles 4/16/11

Unread postby T_N_T » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm

ballgame
T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby Jumbo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:So that is your argument that right now, today, Santana is a better MLB player than Posey?

Ha.

I'm out.

I am going to ahead and say you're both wrong and obstuse for even arguing this point. Posey has played in 69 more games in his career and accumulated about 300 more at bats. Techinically, you're right EY that Posey has put up better numbers (not by a long shot with Santana's season being cut short last year)but to make the comparison is short-sited and mind-numbingly pointless. Posey and Santana are basically equals in terms of fielding at the C position, but I'd say Santana needs a little more time in terms of calling a ballgame (again sample size). Lets talk about this when the year is over and they have comparable sample sizes in terms of plate appearences and games. Equally one of the most fruitless back and forth banters I've read here in terms of comparing young players. ::doh::

Of course. Low numbers of games and at bats cuts both ways.

This is new territory having little else to :spar: about since the team has been playing so well otherwise.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Durbin only 13 pitches? Thank goodness...I was holding my breath with each one. Ten wins so far. How long did it take to get to ten wins last year? (I know, I'm going to look now....)
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

10-4

Good shit
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Wow, Game 23 on May first was our ten-win mark last year. Lookin' good so far.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Good to see Peeks, Pauly C, and Al C. up in the Social Suite today. Nice hanging out with you gents.

A solid win, and I timed it perfectly. Monsters game ended, Tribe rain delay ended a half hour after I entered the ballpark. Couldn't have worked out any better.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Considering the numbers that Britton and Guthrie brought into this series, I'm incredibly impressed with the Tribe's offense. Good to see Buck and LaPorta mashing the ball. LaPorta in particular is really looking relaxed and comfortable at the plate and in the field.

Now let's get the sweep and Carmona his first win tomorrow.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 am

I'm fearful on LaPorta. Watching him down there the last two nights, well, let's just say dude uses no lower half in his swing and has run into a few fastballs on the inner half of the plate. I'm thankful dude has had some success but as someone mentioned down there in the suite, the hip injury may have turned him into an all upper body guy in terms of swinging the bat.

He remians susceptible to soft stuff away (although to be fair many 'healthy' hitters do too).

Just saying, I'm not bullish on LaPorta to be all we thought he might be and all his amateur/minor league numbers would have indicated.

Buyer beware. He seems to be more willing to take balls to rcf like he did against Angels than a guy like Marte was, but he's got a long way to go be an everyday run producer in the majors.

Just my opinion.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:30 am

If Ryan Kalish doesn't pull a Jimmy Snuka on Santana's leg, the context of this discussion changes a lot. However, a missed year is a missed year and Carlos has to get back on track. I think what rubbed Jimbo and Delcucci the wrong was was that it was somewhat of a slam on Carlos when the set of circumstances has obvoiusly allowed Buster to show what he is made of (even with a small sample size in terms of plate appearences and games). Not really sure if the comment was necessessry as Santana had a decent year going last year and it ended abruptly. If we blow his stats out from last year he would have been a 30/20 guy with 80+ RBI and an OPS+ of 144. Kinda disengenuous to make that comment with the knowledge one guy had a devistating knee injury. Its like saying Josh Tomlin is better than Steven Strasburgh. Given his results Josh IS better thus far, but its not this black and white comparison because we have very small sample size to look at. Saying Buster is better is as pointless as someone saying Carlos should be considered one of the best out there on talent alone. Not saying you're wrong Lee in a techinical sense, but that comment IMO is out of place considering how short along BOTH players are in their careers.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:45 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:If Ryan Kalish doesn't pull a Jimmy Snuka on Santana's leg, the context of this discussion changes a lot. However, a missed year is a missed year and Carlos has to get back on track. I think what rubbed Jimbo and Delcucci the wrong was was that it was somewhat of a slam on Carlos when the set of circumstances has obvoiusly allowed Buster to show what he is made of (even with a small sample size in terms of plate appearences and games). Not really sure if the comment was necessessry as Santana had a decent year going last year and it ended abruptly. If we blow his stats out from last year he would have been a 30/20 guy with 80+ RBI and an OPS+ of 144. Kinda disengenuous to make that comment with the knowledge one guy had a devistating knee injury. Its like saying Josh Tomlin is better than Steven Strasburgh. Given his results Josh IS better thus far, but its not this black and white comparison because we have very small sample size to look at. Saying Buster is better is as pointless as someone saying Carlos should be considered one of the best out there on talent alone. Not saying you're wrong Lee in a techinical sense, but that comment IMO is out of place considering how short along BOTH players are in their careers.

While the offense argument is well taken, I feel Posey is light years ahead of Santana in regard to calling games. SF's pitchers immediate comfort with him was a point of emphasis last year, while here, it's quite the opposite. And, you could make a case that this is the position (other than pitcher) where what you do without the bat is arguably more important than what you do with it.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 pm

There is also the fact that Posey is the undeniable leader of that club-house.

And the Tomlin - Strasburg statement is disingenuous, apples to oranges and stuff.

And I still stand by my point, one player has done it in the MLB and another one looks lost as hell right now (and was in a slump when he got hurt, let's not forget that).

Talent is there, let's wait and see if he develops it before we call him a top 35 player in the MLB. I honestly don't know how that is too much to ask.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB