Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

4/13/11 Indians @ Los Angeles of Anaheim

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 4/13/11 Indians @ Los Angeles of Anaheim

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Bleh.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Well, I wrote this game off as a loss about the 6th inning so what difference does another 6 innings make?!

Didn't play well today and got what we deserved.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

4-2 trip. 8-4 coming home with a lame Baltimore team (losers of three straight after a 6-1 start). If I said we'd have an excellent shot at 10-5 in our first 15, you'd all have said I was nuts.

I'll take it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Chad Durbin need not get on the plane after tonight's game.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think i've ever seen a pitch out with the bases loaded.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

They left a couple runs out there. Not all Durbins fault. Though he did shit the bed.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't think i've ever seen a pitch out with the bases loaded.

With the way Durbin was throwing, I wouldn't have called it. But, in fairness to Acta, if there's one manager in that situation who would call for the squeeze play it's Scioscia.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't think i've ever seen a pitch out with the bases loaded.

Same here. Not even during the Wedgie years.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I was hoping when Belcher went out to talk to Durbin he had a stun-gun with him. Looks like we're the ones who got shot. Damn. Can we DFA Durbin when Smith comes back???
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:I was hoping when Belcher went out to talk to Durbin he had a stun-gun with him. Looks like we're the ones who got shot. Damn. Can we DFA Durbin when Smith comes back???

I'll drive him to the airport if he's this piss-poor in a month. Missed a bunch of spring so let's see what he looks like in 2-3 weeks and if he's found the feel on the breaking ball. If not, pull cord-deploy chute.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Poor managing by Acta tonight.

1) Why walk Trumbo? Guy's a walking strikeout. Go after him. Even with second and third occupied, there's a good chance for a whiff.

2) Pitchout with guy who can't throw a strike? Come on.

3) Hannahan on the bench. FAIL.

Most mad about walking Trumbo.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 am

Like I said before, Acta shouldn't be bringing Durbin into any games that are even remotely close right now.

Not bitter about being 8-4, but we had a legit shot at 9-3 until Durbin came in. No way in hell was he the best option.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 am

I blame the bottom of the 12th on Manny Acta. Pitchouts in 1-0 counts and forcing your guy on the mound to pitch from behind when he's struggling to throw strikes.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:I blame the bottom of the 12th on Manny Acta. Pitchouts in 1-0 counts and forcing your guy on the mound to pitch from behind when he's struggling to throw strikes.

I blame the bottom of the 12th on the fact that we were in extra innings in the first place. Manny Acta didn't personally strand runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs. Manny Acta didn't tell Choo to fall asleep on the bases and get doubled off. Manny Acta didn't tell Asdrubal to throw behind the runner for no reason and airmail the ball into the dugout.

I wouldn't have called for the pitchout, but if the squeeze was on we'd all be talking about how brilliant he was. In the end of that AB, the guy hit a flyball to fairly shallow CF, so I don't think the pitchout really changed the at bat very much.

The Indians played a poor fundamental baseball game last night and lost to a good team with a good starting pitcher in extra innings. Based on what we've seen so far this season, last night is an outlier. Let's all relax on calling for Acta's head already, shall we?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:04 am

The end of the first roadie of the season. Against a team that can pitch it pretty well. Hitters seemed to lose their discipline of the strike zone and started to press. A lot of pull happy swings as the game went on.

It happens. Get back home. Get a good day of work in Friday during BP and come out ready to go.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly

Works out very well that they have an off day today. If this was the middle of a long west coast swing, I'd be a little more worried. But an off day and a home series should be just the thing to get them back on track.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Lokais » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:31 am

So just to make sure we're all on the same page here. If some of you were the owner- of this team, you'd have signed Acta to a new 10 year contract two days ago and fired him today?
Lokais

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am

Lokais wrote:So just to make sure we're all on the same page here. If some of you were the owner- of this team, you'd have signed Acta to a new 10 year contract two days ago and fired him today?

Don't think anyone is saying either of those.

The man received praise for the team playing well and executing his decisions.
Now he has received some admonishing for making a couple of choices that not only did not pan out, but were questionable at the time.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am

Rat_Tail wrote:Like I said before, Acta shouldn't be bringing Durbin into any games that are even remotely close right now.

Not bitter about being 8-4, but we had a legit shot at 9-3 until Durbin came in. No way in hell was he the best option.

Who was then?

Germano and Herrmann have given up runs in just about every game they've pitched in, and you've got to keep Raffy Perez in tow in case you need to close the game out later. Realistically, he had no great options left, short of bringing in a starter to pitch an inning.

Once he blew threw his top relievers (rightfully so) the Tribe was vulnerable, but he played it straight by putting a veteran out there rather than his long man or Herrmann who is struggling similarly.

Rock and hard place.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 am

If I'm questioning Acta on anything it's starting a struggling young catcher coming off reconstructive knee surgery and not giving Marson yesterday's start.

Santana is about ready to grind the handle into sawdust and could have used the day off for sure. I know he has today but you could have bought him an extra mental health day and day to recover physically. Then to have that game go extras and be forced to stick with him because removing him eliminates another catching option behind Marson just compounded the issue.

Despite how we see him he's still a young kid and this is the first 'epic' struggle he's seen at the dish (IIRC).

Should given dude the day off and most of us said it before yesterday.

The game itself was multiple little fundamental issues already discussed adding up to costing you runs on both sides of the scoreboard. That shit happens and good teams will limit the number of games in a season that it occurs.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:45 am

pup wrote:The end of the first roadie of the season. Against a team that can pitch it pretty well. Hitters seemed to lose their discipline of the strike zone and started to press. A lot of pull happy swings as the game went on.

It happens. Get back home. Get a good day of work in Friday during BP and come out ready to go.

Yeah. That was one of those games that "just happens" - more annoying than infuriating. Games with mental mistakes will happen, and to every team, no matter what the coaching staff and the manager does. It's been a credit that they've been able to limit those mistakes so far. Just don't do it this weekend.

To me, the three big takeaways from this game are:

1) The pitching staff, especially the non-Durbin bullpen, had another strong game.

2) The bottom of the order is turning back into a pumpkin. Grady needs to get back, and soon, to move Brantley over to left and replace Kearns/Buck.

3) Carlos Santana needs to get it going. Hopefully the day off will be enough, but another 0-fer and he gets a full day off (not 1B) on Saturday.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

peeker643 wrote:Despite how we see him he's still a young kid and this is the first 'epic' struggle he's seen at the dish (IIRC).

FWIW, after getting off to his hot start last season after getting called up, he struggled for a few weeks before getting hurt. So, although he struggled last year, he never got around to actually figuring out how to get out of the slump.

So yeah: he still needs to get it together mentally. A day off yesterday would've helped, but I guess we'll see if today's will do the trick.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 am

peeker643 wrote:If I'm questioning Acta on anything it's starting a struggling young catcher coming off reconstructive knee surgery and not giving Marson yesterday's start.

Santana is about ready to grind the handle into sawdust and could have used the day off for sure. I know he has today but you could have bought him an extra mental health day and day to recover physically. Then to have that game go extras and be forced to stick with him because removing him eliminates another catching option behind Marson just compounded the issue.

Despite how we see him he's still a young kid and this is the first 'epic' struggle he's seen at the dish (IIRC).

Should given dude the day off and most of us said it before yesterday.

The game itself was multiple little fundamental issues already discussed adding up to costing you runs on both sides of the scoreboard. That shit happens and good teams will limit the number of games in a season that it occurs.

Exactly. I think Santana should have had the day off yesterday. Even if theres an off day today, it's not the same as getting the day off from a game, where you get to sit in the dugout, watch, maybe joke and laugh with the guys a bit...just relax.

That's not the same as a scheduled day off. Think about Memorial day coming up. How many times do you hear people say "I don't need Monday off, I was already off on Sunday."? Never. People go apeshit for the long weekend. There's something to getting a work day off as opposed to just a scheduled off day.

That being said, I don't think it's some kind of huge mistake or anything that Acta played him. Kid just looks like he needs a breather is all. It would have done him good.

The Tribe played a shitty game. Let one get away. It happens. No need to panic.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 am

gotribe31 wrote: Manny Acta didn't tell Asdrubal to throw behind the runner for no reason and airmail the ball into the dugout.

Saw that throw this morning. If it's anyone's fault, Acab is the goat. A 2 base error when there was zero chance to make a play.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Gotta be honest, I don't mind a little adversity like this early in the season. They got away from what won them 8 straight and they saw the consequences. There's enough leadership in that clubhouse now (read: Orlando Cabrera) that it should end right here. They've got their best (so far) pitcher on the bump to start the next series and have a team coming in town that has lost 3 straight.

Learn from it and move on.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Santana is way too pull-happy, and teams are going to keep pitching him away until he starts going the other way with it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm

danwismar wrote:Santana is way too pull-happy, and teams are going to keep pitching him away until he starts going the other way with it.

Steady diet of change ups and breaking balls too. His turn to adjust to them.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Rat_Tail wrote:Like I said before, Acta shouldn't be bringing Durbin into any games that are even remotely close right now.

Who was then?

Germano and Herrmann have given up runs in just about every game they've pitched in, and you've got to keep Raffy Perez in tow in case you need to close the game out later. Realistically, he had no great options left, short of bringing in a starter to pitch an inning.

Once he blew threw his top relievers (rightfully so) the Tribe was vulnerable, but he played it straight by putting a veteran out there rather than his long man or Herrmann who is struggling similarly.

Rock and hard place.

I think pure rage could've gone an extra inning.

Durbin almost gave up a walk off HR to Hunter his first or second pitch. I mean, really?

Time to move on though.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Rat_Tail wrote:I think pure rage could've gone an extra inning.

Durbin almost gave up a walk off HR to Hunter his first or second pitch. I mean, really?

Time to move on though.

No April game will ever be worth sending your closer out for 2.1 IP.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB