Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

I have seen enough of Oldberto in April....

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

I have seen enough of Oldberto in April....

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:39 pm

to last a lifetime. I know he has "good pop" left on his fastball - but he is nothing more than a firestarter. Enough. I know we are thin with set up guys, but this guy is just awful.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Re: I have seen enough of Oldberto in April....

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:49 pm

Charboneau wrote:to last a lifetime. I know he has "good pop" left on his fastball - but he is nothing more than a firestarter. Enough. I know we are thin with set up guys, but this guy is just awful.

He's not the one who let two on. Fultz then let one man on.

Thankfully, Betancourt got it done. I was getting frustrated with the low-and-away fastballs, though. Would have liked a low-and-inside one, though that might have been in the guy's hot zone. Got it done after a while, but no fun to watch.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:03 pm

Yeah but Olberto grooved his pitch that was taken to the wall. At least Fultz made a good pitch to Patterson low and away - Patterson just did a good job of driving the pitch. I get more scared with Oldberto's habit of bouncing balls to the plate where runners get the free base moving up.

How about Garko? Parrish can't find the plate - he grounds into a DP trying to pull an outside pitch on 2-0. I still think Ryan is a good hitter but sometimes he doesn't seem to think.

It was nice to see Jake finally have a good outing.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Hoover » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Charboneau wrote:to last a lifetime. I know he has "good pop" left on his fastball - but he is nothing more than a firestarter. Enough. I know we are thin with set up guys, but this guy is just awful.

We got guys in Buffalo who are better already.

Mujica hasn't given up an earned run, he's got 5 saves already.

He'd be an improvement over Oldberto.
Hoover

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:01 pm

Hoover wrote:
We got guys in Buffalo who are better already.

Mujica hasn't given up an earned run, he's got 5 saves already.

He'd be an improvement over Oldberto.

Can't debate that one. It's hard to with that 0.00 ERA and a WHIP of .38. That's Ferd Cabrera nasty.

I doubt we pick up Oldberto's option and we could trade him to a team desperate for bullpen help if we want Mujica up.

I can see us picking up Lord Joe if he continues pitching as he as and picking up Fultz's itty-bitty $1.5M option, though Lara, Perez, and Sipp could all push him as lefties for the 'pen.

We've got good, young talent for both the rotation and the bullpen.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 pm

I'll take Roberto...he is doing what he needs to. Why are you guys content with a closer who has an ERA over 9? And I do not want to hear how many saves he has - you need to do better Joe.
unvme2

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:18 pm

unvme2 wrote:I'll take Roberto...he is doing what he needs to. Why are you guys content with a closer who has an ERA over 9? And I do not want to hear how many saves he has - you need to do better Joe.

Please, dude. Injun Joe strikes out the side and you say we need to do better?

I'd say you're putting WAY too much stock in ERA this early in the season. The guy has pitched a mere 10 innings with six of his nine earned runs coming in one bad game against the Yankees during a period where A-Rod was in the zone and Joe's idiot manager decided to pitch to him with 1B open.

Take away the ONE bad performance and Giuseppe's ERA sinks down to 2.89. Damn, what a shitty ERA.

Westbrook's got an 7.96 ERA with a much larger sample size and we're not about to toss him overboard.

Bad games happen. When they happen early, ERAs get inflated and pitchers don't look as good. If Joe still has a 9.00 ERA at the end of May I will be more concerned, but the guy has saved NINE games and I believe FIVE of those saves have been with one-leads (one of those leads started as a two-run IIRC, but still better than we've had in the past).
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:40 am

Why are you guys content with a closer who has an ERA over 9? And I do not want to hear how many saves he has - you need to do better Joe.

Oldberto is waste and is useless. Now, I completely and totally agree with this point though. Borowski has a bunch of holds but they have not been pretty. He seems to have a pretty high "tension factor." I am not necessarily content with Borowski right now, but at least he is getting the job done (sort of). Doesn't he feel alot like Doug Jones and Wickman. Puts a lot of guys on, gives up runs, but somehow wins games.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:05 am

Will I ever be able to put the Tums & Rolaids down?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Charboneau » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:20 am

unvme2 wrote:I'll take Roberto...he is doing what he needs to. Why are you guys content with a closer who has an ERA over 9? And I do not want to hear how many saves he has - you need to do better Joe.

I'm content with him for one reason - all that matters with a closer in my opinion is saves vs. save opportunities. Does your closer close out games? So far, Injun Joe has. I think he's going to get better once he settles in on this team. I think Josh Barfield will as well.

Could you explain to me what you mean when you say Oldberto is doing what he needs to do? I have seen him have a decent outing of two but a few horrid ones (CWS first series, TB Rays, and even last night) come to mind.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:46 pm

The problem for Joe will be against the teams with good hitting. The Bosox, the Bankees, the Tigers. His stuff is just too slow and over the plate to be effective against the good teams.

He's gonna be a problem if the Tribe makes the playoffs. They should groom another pitcher as a backup closer, like Mujica or Ferd. But I doubt they'll do it. Wedge has never shown any ability to think 3 steps ahead. Just making out a credible lineup is too taxing for him.
Hoover

Unread postby Charboneau » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Oldberto gets ripped again. I hate the Fultz/Oldberto combo.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby He Gone » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:31 pm

Mujica is one of the MOST promising bullpen guys we have in our system, HE NEEDS TO BE UP HERE.

He is one of the best guys ive ever seen at just being able to get guys out, PERIOD.
He Gone
O-H-I-O

Unread postby unvme2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:30 am

unvme2

Unread postby unvme2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am

Borowski is awful. Take the Yankees game out and his ERA is still 4.09 and his WHIP is a pathetic 1.73. This means runners on base and that is not a good thing.

He strikes out the side one time and you guys are ready to name him Eck...please.

We will have a new closer by mid-season.
unvme2

Unread postby dmcdougal » Tue May 01, 2007 4:20 pm

Fultz threw a 0-2 pitch right down the plate to Patterson and he ripped it. I was at the game, I wanted to throw my drink from the bleachers or run to the Indians dugout and yell "0-2 count you Jackass" as Fultz was immediately pulled from the game.
dmcdougal

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB