Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Angels series

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Angels series

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 am

This can be assimilated into the game thread when it's started (I know only too well what can happen when someone else starts a gamethread when we are on a win streak)

Looking at the matchups the signs are good for another sweep
We face the rookie tonight as Haren has been moved back to Tuseday since he had to throw an inning of relief in an Angels 14 inning victory.
Dan Haren, a great pitcher has had his struggles (4.93ERA in 7 starts and a .322 opponents AVG)
Ervin Santana has a horrible record in 9 starts against the Tribe (0-6 with a 5.14ERA)

Go Tribe. Keep tomahawking in the West!
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Angels series

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 am

I think that despite a 7-game streak and a sweep in Seattle this is an important series in terms of the team is received back in Cleveland this weekend.

Lose 2 of 3 (or get swept) and think a majority of fans continue to wait and see. Win a couple more and I think the crowds pick up this weekend.

Win series and all is well. No thinking of sweeps at all.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 am

"Win and they will come"
Most people couldn't name the lineup but they will still come to support a winning Wahoos team fo sho. :hide:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am

Win one and they come back 8-4. Win two and they're 9-3. I see no sweep possibility. Anaheim's going to score some runs and we may get shut down for a game or two. I wanted 4-2 on the trip. 1 of 3 gets that. I'm pig-in-shit happy with 8-4. I'm running out of Jergens with 9-3. I can't even imagine 10-2.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am

No doubt. But what gets people back down there? Or is it still too early with a lot of people waitng for the other shoe to fall?

And what does that phrase mean anyway? I used it in the Wrap moore cuz I always hear it as opposed to really understanding it.

Someone? Anyone?

skatingtripods wrote:Win one and they come back 8-4. Win two and they're 9-3. I see no sweep possibility. Anaheim's going to score some runs and we may get shut down for a game or two. I wanted 4-2 on the trip. 1 of 3 gets that. I'm pig-in-shit happy with 8-4. I'm running out of Jergens with 9-3. I can't even imagine 10-2.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:01 am

A sweep isn't going to happen in this series, going up against the Angels with Haren and Santana. 2 out of 3 would be excellent, and even 1 out of 3 means that they've gone 4-2 on this trip.

It looks like the Angels' starter tonight is a guy named Tyler Chatwood in his first major league start. [Looks him up.] 21 years old, and he's only thrown 6 2/3 innings at even the AAA level. 2.84 ERA, 63 BB, 109 K in 155 1/3 innings across three levels last year. Looks like a guy who isn't overpowering but keeps the ball in the zone. Angels #2 prospect (#76 overall) according to BA this year.

I'm actually not anticipating a huge "win and they will come" output for this weekend, no matter how this series goes. It's still a little early. Give it another few weeks and the homestand after this one, and we'll see where the fans are at.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm

peeker643 wrote: Or is it still too early with a lot of people waitng for the other shoe to fall?

This is where I'm at. Talk to me again in June. They need to play a month to month and a half of ball before anything can really be analyzed. Enjoy the ride.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I agree we have the perfect set up for another sweep but it aint gonna happen. We just need to concentrate on winning the series or at least going 3 and 3 in our next six games.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Jumbo wrote:It looks like the Angels' starter tonight is a guy named Tyler Chatwood in his first major league start. [Looks him up.] 21 years old, and he's only thrown 6 2/3 innings at even the AAA level. 2.84 ERA, 63 BB, 109 K in 155 1/3 innings across three levels last year. Looks like a guy who isn't overpowering but keeps the ball in the zone. Angels #2 prospect (#76 overall) according to BA this year.

I remember we had Ervin Santana for his first start and we lit his ass up. Let's do the same to Mr. Chatwood.

I'd be satisfied coming home 8-4.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:No doubt. But what gets people back down there? Or is it still too early with a lot of people waitng for the other shoe to fall?

And what does that phrase mean anyway? I used it in the Wrap moore cuz I always hear it as opposed to really understanding it.

Someone? Anyone?

What gets people back down there? Nothing short of being within 2 or 3 (or ahead) in August/September. There's too much cynicism in the common Cleveland sports fan. As for me, I'll be there at as many as I can get to. Disappointed in myself that I've only gone to one so far.

It's so early that every day I'm trying to snap myself back in to reality. But, I'm a diehard. So, I always have those visions running through my head of this team being for real. I don't know yet and I don't think anybody does. But Chris Perez said it: Confidence and our ability to hit is dangerous for other teams. The more confidence this team gets, the better shot we have at being in contention in a couple months.

Enjoy it for what it's worth. They've won 7 in a row. I bet there are plenty of people out there who weren't sure they'd win 7 games all month.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:No doubt. But what gets people back down there? Or is it still too early with a lot of people waitng for the other shoe to fall?

Someone? Anyone?

What gets people back down there? Nothing short of being within 2 or 3 (or ahead) in August/September. There's too much cynicism in the common Cleveland sports fan. As for me, I'll be there at as many as I can get to. Disappointed in myself that I've only gone to one so far.

It's so early that every day I'm trying to snap myself back in to reality. But, I'm a diehard. So, I always have those visions running through my head of this team being for real. I don't know yet and I don't think anybody does. But Chris Perez said it: Confidence and our ability to hit is dangerous for other teams. The more confidence this team gets, the better shot we have at being in contention in a couple months.

Enjoy it for what it's worth. They've won 7 in a row. I bet there are plenty of people out there who weren't sure they'd win 7 games all month.

Raising hand
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Weather. Even IF they came back at 10-2, are 40s and rain good for getting casual fans to come? Probably not. You might get a bump over the last homestand but that wouldn't take much. Too bad too, since this might be the most exciting time to be watching.

That being said, I sure am enjoying this jackrabbit start. I don't expect the playoffs this year (heck, as a Cleveland sports fan I don't expect anything anyway...if I go into a season with low expectations it makes is that much harder to be disappointed at the end ;-) ;) :wink: ) but a .500 finish would be saweet!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Shit I wish I were still in Carlsbad. The Big A was so easy to get in and out of, and tickets were cheap-cheap (at least I thought so).
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm

I just want to see them continue to play solid baseball. Pitching, D, and patient at-bats. Win or lose, I'm cool with that.

Attendance at the games is a lagging indicator, especially in Cleveland. Heck, I went to several nearly empty games in July of 2007, when the team was totally on fire. Attendance won't really be a +/- win-loss factor for a long time as all these guys are under control thru 2013 (at least). If in two seasons of winning the Tribe is still drawing 20,000 a series...then I'll start to worry.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB