Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Eric Wedge Manager of the Year

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Eric Wedge Manager of the Year

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:18 am

I just had to do that! Hey for all you Wedgie haters - can't argue with the results so far. Other than the NYY disaster we have won every series to date. As for tanking games in April last year we were 13-12 at the months end. I'm guessing worse case scenario we'll be 14-8 at the end of April. Looking at being 12-7 right now and given the fact we have only played 5 "home" games - I'll take it.

Wedgie, Oldberto, and Blake forever baby! Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Go Tribe!
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:39 am

This team wins in spite of their manager
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Dozen wrote:This team wins in spite of their manager

Imagine if they had a guy like Leyland in charge. They'd likely have at least two more wins by my count.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm

And that # will continue to increase.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:25 pm

And you believe the team is 12 - 7 b/c of Wedge??? C'mon this is the same guy that had 2 outs runners on 2nd and 3rd with ARod at the plate and decides to pitch to him.
unvme2

I don't believe the 12-7 start is all due to Wedge...

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:31 pm

I just couldn't resist having a little fun here given our 5 game winning streak. The dislike for Wedgie is comical. Do I think he is a great manager - no. Do I think he is responsible for every loss, global warming, 911, etc. - no. I think some folks here are going to hate Wedge even if we win 100 games. I'm not sold on him either way as of now. Let's see how the rest of the year goes. With the exception of last years collapse, I honestly don't think he's done a terrible job.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:34 pm

With the pitching and hitting they have had during his years at the helm, at the very least 1 year playing in October (probably more) and he hasn't even done it once.

The guy is awful...my 10 year old could manage a game better than him.

And oh by the way nice batting order.
unvme2

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:24 pm

I respectfully disagree. This franchise was broken down (by design) to build toward making making a 4 or 5 year run with a nucleus of the same players. In 2004 the team began the process with a HUGE turnaround. 2005 the team made another run at he postseason. Last year was a bust. Wedge (by his own admission) did a mediocre job. But if you look at what he's done over the body of his work - I have a hard time concluding at this point in time the guy sucks. This year is key. Maybe you disagree with the lineup - but this team is finding its identity (like everyone else) - he'll get his lineup dialed in as the season moves into late May and June. Right now, he's trying different combinations.

I played baseball when I was in college - we had a much shorter season than the MLB so we used the "southern swing" our two week tour playing in the south getting the pitching rotation straight getting the platoons straight, etc. So when we headed back up north, we had a great idea of what the chemistry of the team would look like. If we came back at or above .500 - it was considered a great trip. Hopefully we would come back healthy, pitchers would get some work, platoons set. I see the MLB the same except the month of April is basically the 'southern swing".

I like where this team is right now. I'm going to give Wedgie the season. I'm going to keep the positive karma going. We have some talent - but we have some holes as well. I honestly think he is doing a good job - so far in 2007.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Charboneau wrote:I respectfully disagree. This franchise was broken down (by design) to build toward making making a 4 or 5 year run with a nucleus of the same players. In 2004 the team began the process with a HUGE turnaround. 2005 the team made another run at he postseason. Last year was a bust. Wedge (by his own admission) did a mediocre job. But if you look at what he's done over the body of his work - I have a hard time concluding at this point in time the guy sucks. This year is key. Maybe you disagree with the lineup - but this team is finding its identity (like everyone else) - he'll get his lineup dialed in as the season moves into late May and June. Right now, he's trying different combinations.

I played baseball when I was in college - we had a much shorter season than the MLB so we used the "southern swing" our two week tour playing in the south getting the pitching rotation straight getting the platoons straight, etc. So when we headed back up north, we had a great idea of what the chemistry of the team would look like. If we came back at or above .500 - it was considered a great trip. Hopefully we would come back healthy, pitchers would get some work, platoons set. I see the MLB the same except the month of April is basically the 'southern swing".

I like where this team is right now. I'm going to give Wedgie the season. I'm going to keep the positive karma going. We have some talent - but we have some holes as well. I honestly think he is doing a good job - so far in 2007.

Let me throw some numbers at you - 4, 3, 2 and 4. Know what they represent? I'll tell ya - the place the Tribe finsihed in their division (of 5 team) the last 4 years. Now you tell me - Is that acceptable? I mean hey I guess a .492 winning percentage is great!!!

To say management dismantled the team is a bit much - you had Hafner, Martinez, Blake playing full seasons in 2004. The people they got rid of - Vizquel, Broussard, Crisp, Belliard they did b/c they were players without positions.

Wedge is hardly the the wheel that steers this ship
unvme2

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Look at those numbers. You see a positive trend from a dismantled team in 2003 up until last year. If you look at how the team played in 2006 beginning in August - they made improvement. To say Hafner, Martinez and Blake (Blake? In my best AI voice - Blake?) represented any type of solace for 2004 is a real stretch. That and everyone in baseball acknowledged the franchise sold off in 2003 to begin to build in 2004 and beyond. Do you honestly think the Indians expected to win in 2004? Take away June and July last year and the guy has done the job.

I think (and hope) by the end of the year he will have wom some people over.

Let me pose a question to you - who out there right now is better if you did replace Wedge?
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:07 pm

Yeah, up until last year, Wedge's teams increase their win totals by double digits every year. I don't buy that argument.....

Still believe we need a change in manager, although I understand it will not happen until after the season if it even does.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby BruceK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Well, it's highly unlikely that he will be fired as long as the Indians are in first place.

However, if memory serves, I believe the Phillies fired Pat Corrales while he had the team in first place. That may have been more because Corrales is not quite "Mr Happy" as opposed to any judgement on his managerial skills.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:22 pm

I understand where you and others are coming from. I also know my stance on Wedge is not going to be popular here. That's what makes a forum like this fun. Bottom line is we all want the Indians to win and contend.

I guess when I look at this team I see a bunch of holes. Peralta has the range of a three legged dog. Barfield has struggled picking up on AL pitching. Marte continues to be baffled by MLB pitching. Blake is a role player forced into playing every day. Vic is still a throwing liability - but I'll take him still. Borowski is going to give us ulcers. Lee has been hurt. Paul Byrd is our number 3. Westbrook has stunk since inking his new deal.

Yet we are in first place....hmmm
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:28 pm

Charboneau wrote: Take away June and July last year and the guy has done the job.

Okay, one of my complaints historically has been the slow starts, at least one component of which was the team seeming to be unprepared to play. I attributed at least part of this to the manager. In 2007, I would still like to see some better play, but have to acknowledge that this year's start is different.

Charboneau wrote: I think (and hope) by the end of the year he will have wom some people over.

Hey, I'm willing to be wrong. But let me turn this around: do you agree that Wedge has to show me more than 1 month of lucky baseball?

Charboneau wrote: Let me pose a question to you - who out there right now is better if you did replace Wedge?

Valid question. I'm tempted to start listing my neighbors, pets, co-workers, houseplants, and cartoon characters, but you seem like a nice guy and I'll be serious:

I don't know what our minor-league managers are like. Is Torey Lovullo a better option? He might be. He might not be. I couldn't tell you. He was a crummy player, though. I'd probably tell you Showalter would be better, but I have a feeling he's the kind of guy you'd want to start in the off-season, to implement "his scheme" from the get-go. You wouldn't hire Nick Saban mid-season, Showalter might be the same.

Jackie Moore would be better. He's managed here in Round Rock for some years, and I like him a lot. Dunno if we'd get permission from the Astros, though.

Davey Johnson? I dunno. My bottom-line retort ... "Well ... who you got?"
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:32 pm

I'll take Bobby V (who is in managing in Japan currently) over Wedge. I'll rid it out this year, but if the Indians fail to make the playoffs - it's time to cut ties
unvme2

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:49 pm

[[Hey, I'm willing to be wrong. But let me turn this around: do you agree that Wedge has to show me more than 1 month of lucky baseball?

I agree completely - one month doesn't make a season. This is the make or break year for Wedgie. Actually, it's almost a month by month thing. This is the year. No playoffs - no more Wedge IMO.

Davey Johnson? I dunno. My bottom-line retort ... "Well ... who you got?"[/quote]

I got nobody. That's why I hope Wedge gets it rolling. These "managerial retreads" are very tiring.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Charboneau » Wed May 09, 2007 11:15 am

The Wedge Bandwagon is selling tickets. It's not too late to jump on and join the ride! With almost 20% of the season behind us Wedgie has lead us to 20 wins and 10 non-victories. The MAN has overcome Lee being out for all of April, slow starts from Westbrook (now on DL) and Sowers. We're on top the AL Central and playing .667 baseball. Let's hope Wedge and the team keep the pace. I am thrilled with the results so far!
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Charboneau wrote:The Wedge Bandwagon is selling tickets. It's not too late to jump on and join the ride! With almost 20% of the season behind us Wedgie has lead us to 20 wins and 10 non-victories. The MAN has overcome Lee being out for all of April, slow starts from Westbrook (now on DL) and Sowers. We're on top the AL Central and playing .667 baseball. Let's hope Wedge and the team keep the pace. I am thrilled with the results so far!

This team wins in spite of Wedge.

:-) :smile: :)
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Wed May 09, 2007 12:51 pm

well now this makes an interesting situation for me :mrgreen:

obvisouly im not a wedge wagonner, but i may change my name, i made this out of anger at wedge and his "brilliant" in game moves
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby buddycowley » Wed May 09, 2007 1:36 pm

The argument over whether or not Wedge is a good manager will persist over time, just as the "Is Larry Hughes worth it?" debate.

Sure, Larry takes some dumb shots and makes mistakes that even the greenest of NBA players shouldn't make.

Yet, when he hits that three with 6 minutes left in the game to tie the game back up again and turn all the momentum back to the team, we tend to forget some of his shortcomings.

Just like the moves that Wedge makes in some games. So he pitched to A-Rod in a close game. SO WHAT? A-Rod has been the model of "choking in the clutch" more than once in his career, so why not take a shot then? If A-Rod strikes out, then no one questions his decision, citing the same argument I've just provided.

It is easy to bring up the A-Rod situation, but difficult to remember that AFTER that horrendous series with the Yankees, the Indians won 10 of their next 12 games. So many people were wondering how long the losses to the Yankees would stay with the Tribe, and it lasted all of one game.

Wedge, just like Mike Brown, another pariah around here, aren't at all flashy and aren't household names. However, both of them have their respective teams doing exactly what they need to be doing to win.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby GatorTribe » Wed May 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I think he has rallied lately, starting the runners in the 9th last night was agressive baseball. I've seen that three times in the last 10 days. You can't agrue with first place with the best from Hafner, Sizemore, Barfield and Westbrook still to come.
GatorTribe

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB