Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Schilling Bloody Sock Really Red Paint???

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Schilling Bloody Sock Really Red Paint???

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 am

The sock is in Cooperstown, right? DNA test it.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... oody_mess/

Bloody mess

Schilling's sock called into question
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | April 26, 2007

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Orioles' lineup barely touched Curt Schilling in last night's 6-1 Red Sox win. In seven innings, he allowed one run, a home run by Miguel Tejada, which was not enough to overcome the damage the Sox inflicted on the Orioles' expensively renovated bullpen in a three-run seventh and two-run ninth.

But Schilling's reputation was the target of an attempted hit from, of all places, the Orioles' television broadcasting booth. Gary Thorne, who does play-by-play of Orioles games on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) and has a solid national reputation, having done lots of work for ESPN, brought up the saga of Schilling's bloody sock during last night's telecast.

Thorne said on the air, while the Orioles were batting in the fifth, that he'd been told by Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli that was not blood, but paint, on the sock Schilling wore during Game 6 of the 2004 American League Championship Series against the Yankees. It was done for the public relations effect, Thorne said.

"The great story we were talking about the other night was that famous red stocking that he wore when they finally won, the blood on his stocking," Thorne said to broadcast partner Jim Palmer, the Hall of Fame pitcher, in a conversation that had begun with a discussion of Schilling's blog.

"Nah," Thorne said. "It was painted. Doug Mirabelli confessed up to it after. It was all for PR. Two-ball, two-strike count."

Palmer: "Yeah, that was the 2004 World Series [sic]." Thorne: "Yeah."

During a break two innings later, Thorne confirmed that's what he said, and that Mirabelli had told him so in a conversation "a couple of years ago."

"Go ask him [Mirabelli]," Thorne said.

Mirabelli was shocked, then angry, when relayed Thorne's comments.

"What? Are you kidding me? He's [expletive] lying. A straight lie," Mirabelli said. "I never said that. I know it was blood. Everybody knows it was blood."

Sox manager Terry Francona, when first told of Thorne's remarks, thought that perhaps Mirabelli had been having some fun with Thorne, that it was all a joke. But after Mirabelli angrily denied ever discussing the subject with Thorne -- "I honestly don't know who Gary Thorne is, that's a straight lie" -- Francona became agitated.

"What we're going through today as a nation, you hate to use a word like heroic on the field, but what Schill did that night on the sports field was one of the most incredible feats I ever witnessed," Francona said. "[Thorne's remarks] go so far past disappointing. Disrespectful to Schill, to his vocation. I'm stunned.

"I am just floored. Schill takes his share of shots, and this one is so far below the belt that I'm embarrassed and I wish somebody would have had the good conscience to ask me. I saw the leg. If that had been painted, I wouldn't have had my knuckles so white, and having so much anxiety."

Francona said Thorne had swung by his office before the game and they had chatted amiably.

"It gets stupider," Schilling said with a tone of resignation in his voice. "I got the 9-inch scar for you. You can see it.

"There are some bad people in your line of work, man."

The suggestion that the bloody sock was staged has been made in the past, perhaps most prominently by GQ magazine, which cited an anonymous Sox player as its source. But it has never been stated so matter-of-factly, and with a Sox player's name attached to the accusation. It has always been dismissed by the Sox and most notably Dr. Bill Morgan, who performed the innovative procedure on Schilling's ankle that allowed him to pitch, even as blood seeped through the sutures in his ankle.

The sock is now in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y .

"You're kidding me, right?" Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein wrote in an e-mail last night. "I'm the GM of the team, not Jerry Springer. I couldn't give two [expletives] about what was on his sock, I care that we won the game. The rest, and Gary Thorne, is just noise."

Sox CEO Larry Lucchino also responded via e-mail.

"I have never heard any such thing internally, and I refuse to believe it now," Lucchino wrote. "It was a courageous moment for Curt Schilling and a glorious moment for the Red Sox, and it shouldn't be sullied with such speculation now."

Mirabelli quickly sought out Schilling in the clubhouse, and assured him he'd never said the things that were attributed to him. Schilling accepted his explanation.

All of this made for an unexpected back story to a game that evolved from a pitching duel between Schilling and Orioles righthander Daniel Cabrera -- each pitcher giving up a home run, Cabrera's to Alex Cora (11 for 18 against Cabrera) -- into the Sox seizing the opening given them when Cabrera walked Wily Mo Peña to open the seventh.

Cora bunted Pena over, and Cabrera temporarily kept the Sox at bay when Julio Lugo flied to right. But then Cabrera issued the last of his five walks, to Kevin Youkilis, and Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo went to his pen, which had been redone, at the tune of $41.5 million, with the signings of lefthander Jamie Walker, submariner Chad Bradford, and former Devil Rays closer Danys Baez.

Walker, who went to the World Series with the Tigers last season, got two quick strikes on Ortiz, but after running the count full with five two-strike fouls, Ortiz dumped a single into left-center, scoring Peña.

That brought in Bradford, who worked one summer (2005) for the Sox. He gave up an RBI single to Manny Ramírez, then walked J.D. Drew and Mike Lowell, forcing in a run.

The Sox scored twice more in the ninth on three singles and Ramírez's sacrifice fly, a ball that would have been extra bases except for a terrific catch by Corey Patterson in center field.

In the losers' clubhouse, Kevin Millar offered his take on the Schilling controversy.

"It was definitely blood," he said. "He had some stitches there. It was a hell of an injury at the time. So I think that was more [Mirabelli possibly] messing with Schilling.

"Like I said, I just saw blood and that was the bottom line and thank God we won that game. Blood or ink, it was a win. I mean, it was one of the single greatest performances I've ever been around.

"He couldn't walk and Dr. Morgan found a way to do something with his ankle and he manned up for us. It was a big performance at the time."

A Sox official said last night that the team may seek a retraction. Before he left, Mirabelli stopped by Francona's office to again register his anger with the broadcast.

Francona, who enjoys using Mirabelli as a foil, said: "What are you doing? Can you just play every five days and not talk?"

Gordon Edes can be reached at edes@globe.com.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:40 am

what exatcly was wrong with his ankle?

wasnt it broke or something?

you dont bleed from borken bones or any broken body parts.....

unless you rip the skin off with it
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:42 am

Torn Tendon
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:31 pm

surgically repaired ankle, probably fresher stitches.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Approaching the most overblown story ever. There's not a guy in the league that stops pitching because he has some blood on his sock. Big Deal.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Schilling

Unread postby BruceK » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:59 pm

BTW, Schilling has a blog at
http://38pitches.com/
so he'll probably have something to say.

IN the past, he's used the blog to bitch about some of the Boston sportwriters
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:41 pm

Usually people don't bleed form those type injuries.

Ever seen a person with a seriously torn up knee ligs, separated shoulder or dislocated elbows bleed?

I have no idea if there is truth to this claim of it being paint but I wouldn't doubt it. Makes some sense.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:46 pm

The injuries do not bleed. He had surgery and the area that was stitched back up is where the blood supposedly came from.

Just the fact that the Red Sox are so pissed tells me it was probably fake, but there is no way anyone is investigating it to find out.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:49 pm

Hurt or not hurt, they won the title and he pitched well.
I would love for one of our guys to lie about being hurt, or really be hurt, and win it all
In anything.
I just can't figure out why people would now rehash it.

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Schilling's problem is that he's such a loud mouth a-hole, he's going to have enough people that will keep digging.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:38 pm

Wait. Guys don't bleed from a surgically repaired ankle with about 5 stitches, and that rubs up against his shoe on every pitch? Yeah.

Not sure if it was blood, but it could have been for sure.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby He Gone » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:29 pm

Its blood, give me a break.
He Gone
O-H-I-O

Unread postby unvme2 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 pm

Thorne made a statement to the Baltimore newspaper and said maybe Doug M was joking and he took it as him being serious.
unvme2

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:32 am

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:52 pm

Trust me on this one . He underwent a "simple" repair of a torn ligament of the lateral ankle designed to get him thru the series. It was a painful ballsey move . The blood on the sock was directly over where the stitches would have been. This type of thing only occurs in Pro sports. It was real..stupid, but real.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 01, 2007 4:38 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue May 01, 2007 4:51 pm

Typical Schilling. Has to bring up the war, and how those guys should be writing about what's "really important." Always having to say something that says, "I'm a great guy." We all know the sacrifices being made. These guys are sportswriters and you throw that stupid ball around. Get over yourself.

It's so ridiculous that this guy was once considered an authority. At leasty now anyone with half a brain has caught on. And, by the way King Curt, remember as you talk down to the young players in the league and the general public, it was you who wasted the first third of you career until Ryan got a hold of you and shook some sense in to you.

As John Kruk said, this guy downplays what he does yet when they want to honor him he's the first guy on the plane to the ceremony.

A first class douche.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 01, 2007 6:41 pm

I could not agree more Piper. Great post.

Man, I'd love to see someone take him up on that million dollar bet.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB