Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Pomeranz

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Pomeranz

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 am

Is quickly becoming my favorite prospect in quite some time. Possibly since Trevor Crowe.

MLB had a nice story on him:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Kid is nails.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Pomeranz

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:09 am

If you maintain the consistency of the last three drafts and combine that with the front office's proven ability to target young talent in trades...well, now we're cooking with gas.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 am

Guy should be the 3rd starter on the major league team when they break camp.

When does that statement get made with actual sincerity in it?

:hide: :hide: :nanner:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 am

peeker643 wrote:Guy should be the 3rd starter on the major league team when they break camp.

The next time he records a strikeout. Doesn't matter, Wedge would ruin him anyway.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby TonyIPI » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Is quickly becoming my favorite prospect in quite some time. Possibly since Trevor Crowe.

MLB had a nice story on him:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Kid is nails.

Going to be interesting to see what he really does this year. Hopefully he pans out as the Indians finally had a top five pick for the first time since I believe Shuey in 1992 or 1993 off the top of my head. No doubt he has the goods....but as with anyone health and development will be the key.

Amazing when you think of it he has yet to throw a true professional pitch. Yes, he has pitched in Instructional League and Spring Training, but the guy has not yet made a pitch when the stats have counted. Looks like a guy who could factor into things mid-late next year if everything goes right.

I've talked to him a few times already, and I know his representation....he's interesting as he is not a "fun" personality like say Kipnis is, but he has a great head on his shoulders and seems to have the right people around him. Talking with people inside and outside the org, there is no doubt that there is a belief he could be a good major league pitcher. How good he is, well that is to be determined.
Follow me on Twitter: @TonyIPI
STOHD.com blog: http://www.stohd.com/Blogs/MinorHappenings.aspx
2011 Indians Top 100 Prospects and More book now available: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -book.html
TonyIPI

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Trevor Crowe

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:Guy should be the 3rd starter on the major league team when they break camp.

Apparently, today.

http://theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-indians/5-indians-archive/7791-chisenhall-pomeranz-why-not

Third starter, fifth starter, either way...he's in the rotation! :woot:
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Pomeranz doesn't have a good third pitch yet. You cannot make a living as a starter as a two-pitch pitcher. He needs to develop a better change or a slider before he'll be ready for the bigs.

They'll be able to monitor his workload better in the minors. We can't have him going five-and-fly with our bullpen already on pace to throw a lot of innings.

Let the kid develop at his own pace.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Good starts will be described as Pomeranzian.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Or Pomeranian.

What do you mean 'brought it bowling'? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fking beer. It's not takinf your fking turn, Dude. Its a fking show dog with fking papers. You can't board it, its hair falls out.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm

He has a no hitter going through 5 innings in his second start after throwing 5.1 s hit shutout innings with 9 K's in his debut.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:41 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:He has a no hitter going through 5 innings in his second start after throwing 5.1 s hit shutout innings with 9 K's in his debut.

He's not long for Kinston.

Wonder what the chances are he's in Akron for the majority of the summer and then in C'Bus late for a look?

Al?

Someone?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:He has a no hitter going through 5 innings in his second start after throwing 5.1 s hit shutout innings with 9 K's in his debut.

He's not long for Kinston.

Wonder what the chances are he's in Akron for the majority of the summer and then in C'Bus late for a look?

Al?

Someone?

I think you'll see him on the Alex White path. Kinston for a couple months till the weather warms up, then Akron in late May/early June for the rest of the season. He'll likely be on an innings limit of around 150, like White was.

No reason to rush him to Columbus. He still really only has 2 pitches, and will need to refine the changeup before he can start in the majors. And as good as he looks now, there's still the possiblity that his curveball command could escape him for a stretch like it did last year in college.

I didn't get a chance to talk to him during my Goodyear trip this year, but a couple of the other players I spoke with mentioned, unsolicited, what a good guy he is and how he doesn't have a big head or acts like a typical bonus baby. They were also unanimous in talking about just how good he is. So that's always nice to see/hear.

Also, way to talk about the no hitter. His final line for today: 5 2/3 IP, H, R (unearned), 2 BB, 8 K.

P.S. I love 11am starts for minor league games
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by British_Pharaoh on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Nice to see him deal again. That knuckle curve is going to be so sweet to see at the ML level.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:finished with 8K's in 5.2 innings allowing 1 hit and an unearned run

I know I didn't use the Queen's English, but isn't that remarkably similar to what I wrote in the post immediately preceeding yours?

Also, not sure if there's an equivalent in cricket, but here in the states we try not to talk about no hitters when they are in progress.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Also, not sure if there's an equivalent in cricket, but here in the states we try not to talk about no hitters when they are in progress.

Which applies pretty much only if you're sitting on the bench near the pitcher. Anything else is hopeless superstition and utter nonsense.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Also, not sure if there's an equivalent in cricket, but here in the states we try not to talk about no hitters when they are in progress.

Which applies pretty much only if you're sitting on the bench near the pitcher. Anything else is hopeless superstition and utter nonsense.

He talked about it, Pomz gave up a hit. I have established a relationship!
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:45 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:finished with 8K's in 5.2 innings allowing 1 hit and an unearned run

I know I didn't use the Queen's English, but isn't that remarkably similar to what I wrote in the post immediately preceeding yours?

Also, not sure if there's an equivalent in cricket, but here in the states we try not to talk about no hitters when they are in progress.

What are you? A pagan?

Grow up you silly superstitious fool

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

What are you? A pagan?

Grow up you silly superstitious fool

I was mostly kidding. I can see that it didn't translate to English.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:48 pm

Not much chance of a no-hitter when they're not going to let him pitch more than six innings even if he had a perfect game going.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Not much chance of a no-hitter when they're not going to let him pitch more than six innings even if he had a perfect game going.

Exactly. He's on a pitch limit regardless.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby onlyindreams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:58 am

A couple mores starts like this and I'd move him up. You're not really being challenged enough if you're allowing an .088 BA and striking out hitters at the rate of 13.9 per 9. He's talking about leaving a fastball up to allow one single. :thud:
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

gotribe31 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:

He talked about it, Pomz gave up a hit. I have established a relationship![/quote]

Damn stat heads and your correlations and R2 crap. How many win shares did it cost him? :cheers:

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby TonyIPI » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 pm

To me, based on Pomeranz's performance the past two months in spring training and to start the season, he is the unquestionable #1 prospect in the organization. It was tough to consider him for that spot in the offseason because he had only pitched in a handful of Instructional League games last year....but he is the real deal. He's left-handed with FOR potential, which easily trumps Chisenhall/Kipnis and even Alex White. Nothing against those guys either as they are all very good players/prospects, but to me Pomeranz is just on a completely different level.

Hearing a lot of "promote him now" stuff with Pomeranz. First off, you can't promote a guy when there is no spot available. Who you gonna bump from a crowded/loaded rotation in Akron with Packer, Adams, Gardner, Barnes and De La Cruz? All five of those guys are legit starting pitching prospects and important to the organization. Then in Columbus they have 5-6 arms there. So the crowd at the top I think will keep Pomeranz in Kinston for awhile, at lease until injuries/callups/performance start to affect things in the upper levels. I also don't think it would harm anything to keep Pomeranz in Kinston for 2-3 months and get 10-12 starts there. He's still likely to pitch in Akron for a majority of the season, just may not get there until late May or mid-June.
2011 Indians Top 100 Prospects and More book now available: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -book.html
TonyIPI

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Hearing a lot of "promote him now" stuff with Pomeranz. First off, you can't promote a guy when there is no spot available.

If he is who you say he is, shouldn't he get priority? I'm not pimping the idea, just saying he has more potential then those other yoots.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Hearing a lot of "promote him now" stuff with Pomeranz. First off, you can't promote a guy when there is no spot available.

If he is who you say he is, shouldn't he get priority? I'm not pimping the idea, just saying he has more potential then those other yoots.

It's also his first professional season. I'd be inclined to give the kid a couple of months to get used to the grind of professional baseball before moving him around. See how he transitions to the pro game, espeically when the weather starts to warm up, along with the flight of the ball. There's no need to rush him at this point, IMHO. Best to move him up when he's ready so as to never have to move him back down.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:22 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:It's also his first professional season. I'd be inclined to give the kid a couple of months to get used to the grind of professional baseball before moving him around. See how he transitions to the pro game, espeically when the weather starts to warm up, along with the flight of the ball. There's no need to rush him at this point, IMHO. Best to move him up when he's ready so as to never have to move him back down.

I dig, and the third pitch thing is huge, but if he's steamrolling the competition then he needs to see better competition.

And his IP alone is worth keeping him semi-stable.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm

I dont care when he gets here as long as he gets here and stays and is actually a good pitcher.

If we actually want to think about winning a world series, outside of acquiring a top pitching prospect, this kid is about the only chance we have of getting a #1 pitcher to head are rotation in the immediate future.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby TonyIPI » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 am

Erie Warrior wrote:

He will get priority, but the five guys in Akron are pretty high priority guys too. An interesting situation to say the least because the Indians have two very deep rotations in Columbus and Akron. All five guys in Akron are arguably Top 15-25 prospects in the system. While Pomeranz is no question better than all of them, it may also allow him an opportunity to stick in Kinston a little while longer and work on the changeup and command. He certainly needs challenged, but I would like to see if the performance the first two games continues for another 5-6 starts and then go from there. By then maybe an injury crops up that allows Pomeranz to move to Akron (and Knapp to slide into Kinston for Pomeranz's vacated spot as expected).
TonyIPI

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Pomeranz doesn't have a good third pitch yet. You cannot make a living as a starter as a two-pitch pitcher.

How's White's third pitch developing this year so far?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:20 pm

jb wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Pomeranz doesn't have a good third pitch yet. You cannot make a living as a starter as a two-pitch pitcher.

Hell if I know.

I just know that all draft reports had Pomeranz with two plus pitches and an average change and slider. Hopefully, he's developing that pitch.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm

jb wrote:

Didn't the Indians make him stop throwing his awesome splitter he had in college? Anyone know if he's allowed to start throwing it again?
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby TonyIPI » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:48 pm

White is throwing his splitter...more this year than last...but it is his best pitch. He needs to develop his third pitch his slider which has potential but he never really threw it in college. Pomeranz has more feel for his third pitch (changeup), but both are expected to have the two plus pitches and average third offering.

Really pleased with what White is doing in Columbus so far. Throwing strikes, limiting walks, getting groundballs, and some Ks.
TonyIPI

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB