Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Happy birthday Omar! 40 and still as good as they get.

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Happy birthday Omar! 40 and still as good as they get.

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2847036

Not to rehash it but he should still be an Indian.

He is better than what we have and the team would be better with him.

Anyway I know he is off to a slow start with the bat this year but barring a catastrophic career ending injury (that would force him to retire on a down note) this guy is first ballot HOF material, based on his glove alone let alone everything he has accomplished and could if he plays 2-3 more years.

IMO the only question up for debate with him is, is he the best shortstop ever?

I know in the future that distinction will go to somebody else but looking at in the here and now, he could be.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dpdad » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 am

Without a doubt, one of Shapiro's biggest mistakes was thinking Omar was washed up. Essentially, instead of giving Omar his 3 mil after the '04 season, Shapiro gave Aaron Boone the big contract instead. Peralta had a decent year in '05 at SS, but we all know what the '06 season was like. Would the Indians be a better team today with Omar at SS and Peralta at 3B? No doubt.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:27 am

To Shapiro's credit, pretty much all of us thought Omar was washed up. I know I did. As did many of the people (now on these boards) that I was talking sports with online at the time.

When I look back at his 2004 stats with the Indians, I'm surprised to find that he had a good year offensively. I remember really thinking that his defense was starting to slip, and that it would continue to decline. He had his first double digit error year in five years in 2004. He had gone three straight years without a gold glove (then proceeded to win it the last two years in the NL with SF).

It's a classic case of not knowing what you had till it's gone. Having a superb defensive shortstop is vital in my mind. It impacts the game in so many ways, and the SS is involved in some way in so many batted balls by the opponent.

I agree. I'd love to have him back. But I distinctly remember being with Shappie on this one when he let him go.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby DarNoor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:53 am

I guess i was one of the few guys who knew he wasn't washed up. I remember going to the other boards and bitching about how Shapiro blew it. I would still love to have him back.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:08 am

Hindsight is always 20/20. We had a hot prospect at SS who had some power. Like Swerb, I thought Omar was done.

The truly great ones make a habit of proving you wrong.

Even so, I doubt anyone was pining for Omar in 2005 when Peralta did a good job on defense and put up some great offensive numbers at SS. It's last year's performance that made us all pine for Omar once more.

I think his trip to the NL will solidify his HoF credentials and make it easier for him to get in. The Cleveland and SF writers are likely to back him and fight for the guy. Doesn't hurt that he's one of the nicest guys on the field. I've spoken to him a couple of times during ST and before regular season games down here. When everyone else stops interacting with fans, Omar is still there.

Great fielder, hard worker. I have no doubt that he's plugged away over the years to become a better hitter - and he exceeded most everyone's expectations with his bat. Above all, Omar's a nice guy. I loved hearing national radio guys automatically leapfrog him over Ozzie Smith as the best modern day SS when people were voting on the new "all-time" defensive positions. He's made a strong impression.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:09 am

His salsa still sucks though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:40 am

I'd love to still have Omar....

But, as I mentioned back then, the Indians made a decision that seemed right at the time since they didn't have the benefit of hindsight. The deal he got from SF was mocked by many people. The Indians offered Omar one year at like $4-5M, but he opted for the 3 year and $4M or so he is getting from SF.

But, as Rich mentioned, Omar's defensive game *looked* to be in decline. Just months prior to FA he was all but traded to Seattle for Guillen, but he failed his physical. There were questions about Omar's health, and it appeared it had sapped him of what he brought to the team: defense.

Also, keep in mind, Peralta was coming off an MVP season in 2004 at Buffalo. Peralta was the League MVP in the International League, and was ready for a full-time job.

Yes, part of the problem is giving Aaron Boone $3M to play 3B earlier that summer.....but the Indians for wahetver reason never seemed to envision Peralta as a 3B option long term.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Hoover » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:55 am

Swerb wrote:
When I look back at his 2004 stats with the Indians, I'm surprised to find that he had a good year offensively.

Sounds like you forgot about his 6 hit game when the Tribe stomped the Yanks 22-0. I'll never forget that night. Now if I'd only kept the tape. :oops: He put up very good numbers in 04 overall. .291/.353/.388 ain't bad for a SS. I doubt he would've stuck around in Cleveland though.

Only regret I've got about Vizquel is we weren't able to trade him for Guillen. That would've been a coup.

The more I watch Peralta, the less I like him. He's lunging again, looking totally confused. Just like 06 Peralta. Has he learned anything? Doesn't look like it.
Hoover

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:46 pm

Great player. Would help this team.

Also a hypocrite, a liar and a rat. Anxiously awaiting Mesa's annual beaning.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB