Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Why is wedge still in cleveland?!?!?!?!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Why is wedge still in cleveland?!?!?!?!

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Im tired of this joke of a manager.........today was the last straw

you NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put in your closer in a non save situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats baseball common sense!!!!!!!!!

Get him gone now!!!!!!!
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Re: Why is wedge still in cleveland?!?!?!?!

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:12 pm

Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! wrote:Im tired of this joke of a manager.........today was the last straw

Agreed. Very poorly handled.

you NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put in your closer in a non save situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that's asinine. Borowski pitching there wasn't the problem: Borowski pitching like sh1t and leaving him in was the problem.

Get him gone now!!!!!!!

I'm with ya, but please don't force me to support faulty logic to do so.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:12 pm

and WTF is with michales batting last with a .318 average!?!?!?

omg im going to stab myself
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! wrote:and WTF is with michales batting last with a .318 average!?!?!?

Aw, come on! Because the starter was right-handed, and Michaels has been lousy in his career (proven in spades in 2006) that he hits lefties a lot better than righties. It's okay to be upset, fer Crissakes, but fer crine out loud, make some damn sense.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Re: Why is wedge still in cleveland?!?!?!?!

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! wrote:Im tired of this joke of a manager.........today was the last straw

Agreed. Very poorly handled.

But that's asinine. Borowski pitching there wasn't the problem: Borowski pitching like sh1t and leaving him in was the problem.

Get him gone now!!!!!!!

I'm with ya, but please don't force me to support faulty logic to do so.

and i thought wickman was bad..........

but serisouly, you dont put the closer in with a 4 plus run lead......

whether he is going good or bad.
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! wrote:and WTF is with michales batting last with a .318 average!?!?!?

Aw, come on! Because the starter was right-handed, and Michaels has been lousy in his career (proven in spades in 2006) that he hits lefties a lot better than righties. It's okay to be upset, fer Crissakes, but fer crine out loud, make some damn sense.

you are clueless......

you would take casy blake who is batting 190 over michaels?????

HAHA

go root for the texans
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby comish » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Absolutely sick to my stomach :-( :sad: :(

That loss may hurt for a while. WHY THE **** wasn't A-Rod put on first? Please, somebody tell me there was a good reason for pitching to him. I mean, he is only the hottest hitter in baseball who was DUE after going 0-4.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! wrote:you would take casy blake who is batting 190 over michaels?????

Dude, I wouldn't take Casey Blake over a largemouth bass or a blinded platypus. I would rather let Marte play than Blake.

But Michaels isn't actually good.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Ellis Burks for GM

Bob Brenly for manager

Hershiser in for that tart carl willis
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:28 pm

Dannycrisp wrote:Ellis Burks for GM

Bob Brenly for manager

Hershiser in for that tart carl willis

that be SAWEEEET

the bull dog baby!!!

burks is sweet too
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:38 pm

People put their closers in all the time with large leads if they need work. The guy was warming up and they scored a run in the top half.

The problem is putting a guy in who didn't get the job done.

If he's the man when it's a three run lead or less.....

How in the wild world of sports you pitch to the hottest hitter in the game........ Christ
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:People put their closers in all the time with large leads if they need work. The guy was warming up and they scored a run in the top half.

The problem is putting a guy in who didn't get the job done.

If he's the man when it's a three run lead or less.....

How in the wild world of sports you pitch to the hottest hitter in the game........ Christ

ok but wedge was dumb enough to not warm someone else up when he started getting in trouble.

i will take a win over ego any day how about you?
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Wedge didnt have a clue what was happening until the crack of A-Rods bat woke him up
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Look, I am the Chairman of the Fire Wedge Club. I started it. I try to keep it going.

The only mistake he made today was pitching to A-Rod.

Letting Mike Rouse hit, no big deal.
Leaving Borowski in, you have no choice. He is your closer. Really, the only guy in Cleveland who has had any successs closing MLB games in his career. If you pull him, you might as well release him.

Letting Borowski pitch the 9th? This game was critical. If you cannot put your closer in to finish off the Yankees with a 4 run lead, then your GM should have gotten you an better option to close games. He didn't get the job done. Had we let Betancourt, who has struggled in the past pitching more than one inning start the 9th and he put a couple of guys on base, you would be on here saying Wedge is an idiot for not having the closer start the inning.

You might want to get used to this fact...this team is no better than last year at this time, so to expect different results is assanine.

Can this team be better than the '06 version? If the young RH bats start to come through and the youngsters in the bullpen get more chances and better results, sure.

If not, well, 78-82 wins is what you will get.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby rigs » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Pup...
Perfect response man!
This team is exactly the same, if not worse than last year! Yet all these people (some on this site who should know better :)) pick a division winner.
As I stated in my preseason talk, we have the same team assuming:

Borowski can equal Wickman, which he wont
I said Barfield won't have the numbers of Belly last year this young
Marte should equal last years 3B output

where are the upgrades? Oldberto? Come on, anyone who picked the Tribe to win the division has their common sense covered up by the love for their team
rigs

Favorite Player: Jeff Mutis
Least Favorite Player: Dave Otto

Unread postby dpdad » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:56 pm

I don't have a huge problem with going with Borowski to start the ninth, but Wedge should have had someone warming up after the walk to Damon. It was obvious Boworski was melting down. And for the life of me I can't understand why you go ahead and pitch to the best hitter in baseball with the winning run on second and first base open.

This game will take awhile to get over. I just hope the Tribe doesn't go into a tailspin that they can't pull out of.
dpdad

Unread postby drewd » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:37 pm

i wish we had a Manager here like Jim Leyland, "Who is ever the best player plays!" F***en wedge favors players and doesnt make good line-ups. wedge is and should be Bullpen Coach!

blake should be ower super utility player
micheals and deluci shouldn't be on this team
Martinez should be traded for a young power hitting outfield
nixon should be batting 2 every day till crowe is ready
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby The Math God » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:56 pm

It is time for Wedge to go.
These were the 3 worst games I have seen this team play in a while.
Not only did the team play bad, but there were so many bad decisions made a Little League manager could have done better.

Why in the world would you pitch to Arod?

Wedge should not even get off the plane in Tampa.

Give the job to Showalter NOW.

I am afraid that Shapiro won't pull the trigger now and we will beat up on Tampa and save Wedge's job.
The Math God

Unread postby tribetalk » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 pm

Let me start off by saying I like Wedge; and its easy for a lot of you to say well what if we had Leyland or Torre or someone else..... Yah well we don't. We have Wedge, and he isn't going anywhere and all of you know that.

What happened today is just the hard headedness of Eric Wedge. I put this game on his shoulders; although the offense had plenty of chances to blow this game wide open.

The second you see your RELIEF pitcher start to struggle; you know it's time to get someone ready in the PEN; and to buy the PEN time, you go out and talk to the guy and calm him down for one more batter. Well for whatever reason, Wedge went deaf for the 9th inning and didn't want to hear the opinions of the other coaches or players.

This is something that everyone will learn from; and I know Shapiro will not let Wedge to hear the end of this one.

This should've never had happened in the first place. Last time I checked, the MLB Rule Book says a registered save must be with 3 or less runs when entering the 9th inning.... this time it was 4!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby dpdad » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Another reason you walk A-rod in that situation is to set up the force play at any base. Putting A-rod on first means nothing because the winning run is already at second. Just some little league fundamentals Eric Wedge apparently never learned.
dpdad

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:19 pm

Good God. I love how we are 12 games into the season, and people are ledging already. Three days ago we were 6-3.....we go into NY and get spanked. It happens. Let's see how this plays out before we go overboard with the request for radical changes and all that. I understand this loss was frustrating as hell.....but we have to keep it in perspective.

One thing is certain, I think I finally see the light on Wedge, and it is time to jump on the Wedge Must Go bandwagon. Not putting A-Rod on in the 9th was absolutely a dumbfuck move on his part.

And, no one really mentioned this, buy in yesterday's game, Igawa thre his glove at a groundball that ended up a double play. THREW HIS GLOVE. I am unsure of the official ruling, but the TV guys hinted that all runners are safe and move up a base. WTF was Wedge doing? Picking his nose and eating it? Playing scratch'n'sniff with his ass? He should have been out there arguing that call....but was no where in site. Inertia Man indeed, Buff, oh yes indeed. Or, maybe more like Imbecile Man.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby comish » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 am

One thing is certain, I think I finally see the light on Wedge, and it is time to jump on the Wedge Must Go bandwagon. Not putting A-Rod on in the 9th was absolutely a dumbfuck move on his part.

AAAAAAAAMEN!

Still waiting for some sort of lame a** explanation! I'm STILL PISSED! Not even a legendary shower of Cherry Bombs helped :-( :sad: :(
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:17 am

And, no one really mentioned this, buy in yesterday's game, Igawa thre his glove at a groundball that ended up a double play. THREW HIS GLOVE. I am unsure of the official ruling, but the TV guys hinted that all runners are safe and move up a base.

Did he intentionally throw it, or did it fall off?
Did it make contact with the ball?

If both of those happen, I think it is some kind of crazy rule where it is the umpired disgression about what would have happened on the play. If an OF does it and knocks a ball out of the air that would have cleared the fence, it is still a HR. If he does it on a gapper, they could give the hitter a triple. If it was Ryan Garko hitting, with Victor on first, they probably assumed no matter where the ball ended up, the Yanks could turn 2, so they let them keep the double play.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:42 am

We have Wedge, and he isn't going anywhere and all of you know that.

No. He has to be fired. He must be fired. If the team has to lose 100 games this year for Wedge to be fired- make it happen, Tribe. It must happen. Wedge must go.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:13 am

HermanFontenot wrote:
We have Wedge, and he isn't going anywhere and all of you know that.

No. He has to be fired. He must be fired. If the team has to lose 100 games this year for Wedge to be fired- make it happen, Tribe. It must happen. Wedge must go.

Well, one thing is certain: if the Indians do fail this year, Wedge will be gone. And, I don't think it will take 100 losses to do so. Just going 82-80 or worse should be enough to get him canned by season's end.

The real question is, what is the breaking point with Shapiro to can Wedge in-season? End of May? End of June? 10 games under .500 at any point? 5 under? And, will Shapiro really cut him loose?
consigliere

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:28 am

The real question is, what is the breaking point with Shapiro to can Wedge in-season? End of May? End of June? 10 games under .500 at any point? 5 under? And, will Shapiro really cut him loose?

Hence the reason for my '100 losses' comment. God only knows how bad this team has to get before Wedge is fired. 10 games under, 5 under, won't do it.

You're obviously closer to this than I am Consig, so you tell me if I'm wrong- I think only a total collapse will result in Wedge's dismissal.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:38 am

I do not think there is one. Wedge will finish the season as our manager, unless he walks into Shapiro's office and says, go ahead if it helps you for the future.

I actually do not see the point in doing it at 10 games under, or the middle of June. If it is not apparent today, when they are "alive", why do it once you are pronounced dead?

There are more problems with this team than Wedge, though I fault him for a lot of problems. We have no proven, experienced RH bat. We are terrible with the gloves. Our bullpen (as currently constructed and used)is a poor excuse for relief. These are the same problems that have been here before now. Our team speed is somewhere between offensive linemen and tractor pulling.

Our starting pitching pitches to contact. Our best offensive player is forced to lead off. Once you get past Pronk and Victor, everyone else can be pitched to. Nobody after Victor scares anyone.

The platoon splits are horrible and really puts you in a bind in late and close situations.

Against a right handed starter, our bench is comprised of: Jason Michaels, Mike Rouse, Blake or Marte. Not many options for Wedge to use.

Against a left handed starter, we have Nixon/Delucci available, but most teams will manuevear around them in a tough spot. Allow Wedge to bring one in, then go to a lefty in the pen to screw them.

We need a second left hander in our bullpen. When you have to face Thome and Pierzynksi, or Mauer, Morneau 19 times each, you need to have a left hander available more than once each game.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby dpdad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am

We are terrible with the gloves.

Damon attempting to bunt with TWO outs yesterday told us all we need to know about the lack of respect other teams have for the Indians defense.

When Borowski threw the first wild pitch to A-Rod, it confirmed he was unable to throw his breaking pitch for a strike. A-Rod had to know the fastball was coming, so it was basically batting practice for him. Any major league hitter is going to feast on high-80 MPH fastballs.
dpdad

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:56 pm

Consigliere wrote:Good God. I love how we are 12 games into the season, and people are ledging already. Three days ago we were 6-3.....we go into NY and get spanked. It happens. Let's see how this plays out before we go overboard with the request for radical changes and all that. I understand this loss was frustrating as hell.....but we have to keep it in perspective.

And, no one really mentioned this, buy in yesterday's game, Igawa thre his glove at a groundball that ended up a double play. THREW HIS GLOVE. I am unsure of the official ruling, but the TV guys hinted that all runners are safe and move up a base. WTF was Wedge doing? Picking his nose and eating it? Playing scratch'n'sniff with his ass? He should have been out there arguing that call....but was no where in site. Inertia Man indeed, Buff, oh yes indeed. Or, maybe more like Imbecile Man.

um im not talking about 12 games

im talking about the 4 years he has been here
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby lovsgrady » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:41 pm

The only reason that I think Wedge put him in was because he had no one else warmed up, because at the time, when Borowski was warming up, it was a save situation, although, just in case, Wedge should have had someone else warmin up with Borowski.
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:47 pm

OMG, how many times are we going to have a runner cut down on the bases? What was Hafner doing??? I feel like it has become routine that at least once a game a runner will get picked off or will get caught in a rundown for being a complete imbecile on the basepaths.

I'm starting to get a little worried. A lot of the same problems that plagued this team last year are showing themselves front and center again. I ain't ledging, but the knees are starting to wobble to where I may soon start making my way toward that ledge.

BTW, Casey Blake is dog poopy. 0-14 with RISP, not including a couple chances tonight. And he must be on record pace for most LOB in a season.
consigliere

Unread postby Andouble » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 pm

I'd assume Blake will easily surpass whatever the record may be, considering it is impossible to get him out of the lineup.
Andouble

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Good Lord. We are about to lose another.....and drop to 1-5 on this trip. Here we go YET AGAIN with another poor stretch of play in April where this team buries itself. Guys, if we lose two in Minnesota and fall to 7-10 anf go 1-7 on this road trip, I hope to hell rumors start flying he is being fired.

Should make for a fun outing on Friday if this indeed does happen. I don't care if we are there with STO watching the game, I'll be leading the FIRE WEDGE chants.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB