Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tom Mastny

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tom Mastny

Unread postby Andouble » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 pm

This guy always seems to go under both the fans' and Wedge's radar. I remember last year Wedge was reluctant to use him late in ballgames, but when he finally did he was pretty successful until he got a fatigued arm in the last week or so. This year he only made the team because of injury to Matt Miller late in ST.

My question is, how come no one ever really talks about him being a possible late-inning guy? He's always had a good K/9 and has only given up an amazing 9 homeruns dating all the way back to 2003.

Sure he isn't one of those fireball closers that everyone covets, but he has a pretty darn good demeanor, and if we learned anything from Wicky or JoBo, you don't have to throw 98 to get guys out in the 9th inning.

Thoughts?
Andouble

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:19 am

I like Mastny and think he could be effective in the 7th or 8th inning. His height is an advantage just as it is for a guy like CC as well. Standing that much above the batter gives a pitcher significant advantage. He doesn't have great stuff, but his location is pretty good and his height helps him out.

We've got great young bullpen talent up in Cleveland and in the minors. Sipp, Perez, Mujica are just a few down there that could be amazing up here.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:48 am

I agree that Mastny would be a killer 7th inning guy right now. I could easily see Mastny setting up Carmona in the 8th leading to Borowski in the 9th. Mastny could also double as the second closer when Borowski has already pitched back-to-backs (Mastny did notch 5 nice saves last season).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:02 am

jfiling wrote:I agree that Mastny would be a killer 7th inning guy right now. I could easily see Mastny setting up Carmona in the 8th leading to Borowski in the 9th. Mastny could also double as the second closer when Borowski has already pitched back-to-backs (Mastny did notch 5 nice saves last season).

I tend to lean towards Carmona staying as a starter and believe that Cabrera may be the best answer in the 8th. A Mastny, Cabrera, Borowski combo to finish out a game could be quite good.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby drewd » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I like Mastny and think he could be effective in the 7th or 8th inning. His height is an advantage just as it is for a guy like CC as well. Standing that much above the batter gives a pitcher significant advantage. He doesn't have great stuff, but his location is pretty good and his height helps him out.

We've got great young bullpen talent up in Cleveland and in the minors. Sipp, Perez, Mujica are just a few down there that could be amazing up here.

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I tend to lean towards Carmona staying as a starter and believe that Cabrera may be the best answer in the 8th. A Mastny, Cabrera, Borowski combo to finish out a game could be quite good.

you are crazy Mr. MacPhisto Carmona sucks right now in the majors!! he at least needs 2 more years in the minors. Its like taking 90 mph batting practice when Carmona is pitching. The dude needs to learn control!!

Mastny on the other hand, if VERY under rated... the dude is very good he's the indians next paul Sheuy(spelling)!
i think mastny could fill in the starting rotation when a starter is hurt, but only if he dosen't get fatigued.

looking at the other post on this topic i dont think Mr. MacPhisto knows what the hell he's talking about, lmfao (stick to the cavs buddy)
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 pm

drewd wrote:Carmona sucks right now in the majors!! he at least needs 2 more years in the minors. Its like taking 90 mph batting practice when Carmona is pitching. The dude needs to learn control!!

Mastny on the other hand, if VERY under rated... the dude is very good he's the indians next paul Sheuy(spelling)!
i think mastny could fill in the starting rotation when a starter is hurt, but only if he dosen't get fatigued.

looking at the other post on this topic i dont think Mr. MacPhisto knows what the hell he's talking about, lmfao (stick to the cavs buddy)

I don't believe I'm the only one who thinks this. I don't want to put words in their mouths, but I think our resident super baseball guys, Buff and Tony, both have said recently that they prefer leaving Carmona as a starter for now. Everyone goes off on Carmona after ONE start where he pitched horribly. How 'bout we move Westbrook to the 'pen first since he's had two bad outings? The guy looked good in spring training. That doesn't mean much, but why jump off the wagon so quickly due to ONE bad start? The guy also fille din pretty well to finish last season.

But that one bad start to begin the season - a start that occurred days after it was supposed to - is what we need to use to force this guy to the bullpen. If we always moved a pitcher to the bullpen because of a poor start then we'd have no starting pitchers left. Give Carmona time and THEN let's discuss where he belongs. There's no reason to be so trigger happy with a potential bullpen move.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Put me in the column of Carmona in the rotation. They guy's stuff is pretty freakin nasty. He seems to have a problem controling his emotions, and gets a little to jacked up in big situations which leads to his lack of control on his pitches.

This is something to learn over time. Plus, his one start came with about 874 days of rest, not a good combination for someone who gets into trouble when his pitches are moving too much. Let him settle into a rotation spot and see what happens. He will have at least 2 more starts before Cliffie is ready to go, so he doesn't have much time.

Mastny is in a typical Wedge spot right now. He didn't plan on using him in close and late situations, so it will take something to force him into the role.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby drewd » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:24 pm

come on guys since Carmona has been in the majors he just has been horrible and u wont to expose him even more. lol

give him 2 years in the minors and he'll be good
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:01 pm

drewd wrote:come on guys since Carmona has been in the majors he just has been horrible and u wont to expose him even more. lol

give him 2 years in the minors and he'll be good

Two more years? Not happening. We've got other guys like Lofgren and Miller who will step up by then.

I would agree with you that Carmona was horrible as a closer, but he did quite well outside of that spot when he was a reliever. He started off poorly as a starter last year but posted a Quality Start in each of his last two starts.

Last year was a bit rough on Carmona, but I'd argue he has little to prove at AAA having posted a 3.25 ERA with a 1.10 WHIP in 2005 while in Buffalo.

If he's as bad as you say then we might as well just trade him now to a team delusional enough to think he's good.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Carmona needs legitimate shot in the rotation if you aren't moving him. This would be more than, like 3 starts. He has nothing to prove in the minors and incidentally you don't ruin young pitching by exposing him to the league, you do it by overuse or misuse.

An example would be the Yankees and Phillip Hughes. Bring the guy up and use him correctly. You'll win more games over the course of this year instead of waiting for Carl Pavano's right nut to heal, or whatever.

If Carmona doesn't get it done, than you can make a decision. If you cock around with the guy all year you still won't know. By the way, it ain't like the guy is freezing out a young Roger Clemens at this point.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Bump. While Borowski and Wedge failed in the game versus the Yanks, Carmona pitched well. Two earned runs in six innings with a 1.17 WHIP for the game. I would have liked some more Ks but Carmona looked much better than he did in his last outing.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB