Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

B-List 4/13-4/15

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

B-List 4/13-4/15

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:02 pm

1. Is this just Byrd in typical odd-year form, or has the new splitter pitch really been the difference so far? Both? Very, very early, but good start to the season from what most people consider the Indians most expendable starter.

2. The hitting with RISP since the whitewashed Seattle series has been pathetic. It was pathetic in the Angels series, and even more patehtic in the WS series. Amazingly, we won 4 of the 6 games still. Aside from Fausto's start, the pitching has been very good those six games up and down the starting staff and bullpen.

3. If I recall correctly from Saturday's game, Wedge allowed Fultz to end the 7th and start the 8th, and Betancourt to end the 8th and start the 9th. When is the last time Wedge ever allowed two relievers to end an inning and come back out the next inning? Let along one reliever to do it?

4. I believe Ferd Cabrera is the key to this bullpen being just okay, and good. If this kid can approach to how effective he was in Buffalo and Cleveland in 2005, our late inning relief woes will get a huge boost.

6. Garko needs to be in the lineup everyday right now. Let him play himself out of a job. I just don't see the defensive issues the Indians are talking about, as he has made some fine plays at 1B so far....whether it be some slick picks of throws in the dirt or making some nice plays in the field. Keep Blake in the super utility role. If Blake plays 5-6 games a week in such a role sitting Garko once, Marte twice, and Nixon twice, fine.

7. Hafner needs some protection, and you can clearly see he is pressing without Victor hitting behind him. He is trying to do too much. He'll be okay long run though.

8. I still believe Sizemore is better served hitting in the 3-hole. Guys who hit for extra bases at his rate should be a run producer, not a table-setter.

9. I'm a fan of Mighty Rouse. In one game, I think he did more than Ramon Vazquez did here all last year. :mrgreen:

10. The Aardsma reference kills me. That is one messed up pic:

Hannibal Lector, you ain't got nuttin on me.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: B-List 4/13-4/15

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Consigliere wrote:1. Is this just Byrd in typical odd-year form, or has the new splitter pitch really been the difference so far? Both? Very, very early, but good start to the season from what most people consider the Indians most expendable starter.

Can't tell. Most pitches Byrd throws have movement: none has velocity. This isn't a bad thing, but it makes it hard for me to tell how much the "split" really means.

He has a pretty weird delivery: reminds me of Scott Elarton's short-arm.
3. If I recall correctly from Saturday's game, Wedge allowed Fultz to end the 7th and start the 8th, and Betancourt to end the 8th and start the 9th. When is the last time Wedge ever allowed two relievers to end an inning and come back out the next inning? Let along one reliever to do it?

Although true, the left-right orthodoxy (see the lineup construction note) virtually forced that usage for Fultz. Had it been only one lefty, I'm not sure he would have been brought in to finish the 7th; once the 8th starts Erstad-Thome, Fultz almost HAS to be your man. (And, I should reiterate: because I would have done the same thing, I found the usage to be brilliant.)
7. Hafner needs some protection, and you can clearly see he is pressing without Victor hitting behind him. He is trying to do too much. He'll be okay long run though.

I hadn't thought of that, but Garko isn't hitting any worse behind him than Victor. Okay, .380 instead of .500. Still, you're going to press because the guy behind you is only George Brett instead of Ted Williams?
9. I'm a fan of Mighty Rouse.

Okay, I'm stealin' that.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 pm

Consigliere wrote:6. Garko needs to be in the lineup everyday right now. Let him play himself out of a job. I just don't see the defensive issues the Indians are talking about, as he has made some fine plays at 1B so far....whether it be some slick picks of throws in the dirt or making some nice plays in the field. Keep Blake in the super utility role. If Blake plays 5-6 games a week in such a role sitting Garko once, Marte twice, and Nixon twice, fine.

Although I agree with you on keeping Garko in the lineup, I haven't seen too many nice plays from him in the field. His diving stop yesterday was nice, but it didn't result in an out. I keep seeing him not make plays that should be made easily by any normal first baseman. For example, the throwing error on Blake in the loss at milwaukee. That throw was up the line, but a firstbasman is taught to simply stretch up the line (in fair territory) to get the ball. If you can't stretch straight into the path of the ball, you cut it off at the best angle. In this case, Garko stretched INTO FOUL TERRITORY, away from the ball and directly into the runner. As a former college firstbaseman, I would have been embarrassed to see this in a high school game.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:56 pm

NEOLeo wrote:Although I agree with you on keeping Garko in the lineup, I haven't seen too many nice plays from him in the field. His diving stop yesterday was nice, but it didn't result in an out. I keep seeing him not make plays that should be made easily by any normal first baseman. For example, the throwing error on Blake in the loss at milwaukee. That throw was up the line, but a firstbasman is taught to simply stretch up the line (in fair territory) to get the ball. If you can't stretch straight into the path of the ball, you cut it off at the best angle. In this case, Garko stretched INTO FOUL TERRITORY, away from the ball and directly into the runner. As a former college firstbaseman, I would have been embarrassed to see this in a high school game.

I know what play you are talking about, and your point is noted...

But man, unless Garko is Manute Bol, there is no way he is stretching and getting to that hellacious throw from Blake. You'd have thought Blake was throwing to where the 1B bag is in Little League (60 feet from home) insead of the 90 feet in the pros. That's how bad it was.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Although true, the left-right orthodoxy (see the lineup construction note) virtually forced that usage for Fultz. Had it been only one lefty, I'm not sure he would have been brought in to finish the 7th; once the 8th starts Erstad-Thome, Fultz almost HAS to be your man. (And, I should reiterate: because I would have done the same thing, I found the usage to be brilliant.)

Yes, for as much flack as I give Wedge for his bully use, he actually did a pretty good job in the Chicago series. Although, the only key moments for managing the bullpen really occurred in the Saturday game.

I hadn't thought of that, but Garko isn't hitting any worse behind him than Victor. Okay, .380 instead of .500. Still, you're going to press because the guy behind you is only George Brett instead of Ted Williams?

The point is noted. Although, I would believe teams probably still don't fear Garko as much as they may with Martinez. Which means instead of getting one pitch to hit an entire game, Hafner is now getting zero.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Wouldn't you say it's a good thing that we have no idea what Byrd is throwing? That could mean that the hitters are having a hell of a time figuring it out.

True, we can't see the laces coming at us, but it is difficult to figure out what kind of breaking pitch he's throwing - and you usually can get a pretty good idea from watching it.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:16 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Wouldn't you say it's a good thing that we have no idea what Byrd is throwing? That could mean that the hitters are having a hell of a time figuring it out.

True, we can't see the laces coming at us, but it is difficult to figure out what kind of breaking pitch he's throwing - and you usually can get a pretty good idea from watching it.

Maybe Byrd is our version of Doc Harris. I guess that vegasil, bardol, and jalepeno really works after all.

consigliere

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:26 pm

Consig, concerning #7 & 8.

Hafner's year will be determined by who hits in front, not behind. He's actually walked more with Victor in the line-up. Whom hits in front of one has a much larger effect than who hits behind every year, it's just many, including media, would have you believe otherwise.

And, yes Sizemore needs to be a three, provided they have a guy who can get on base at one. Otherwise, see above.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby paulcousineau » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:48 pm

Quote:

Okay, I'm stealin' that.

What, no love?

http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=1527
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:23 pm

The DiaTriber wrote:
Quote:

Okay, I'm stealin' that.

What, no love?

http://www.swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=1527

Busted!

I'd totally forgotten that. Well then, it will you be you I do not attribute when I steal it...
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby paulcousineau » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:12 pm

I'm actually expecting to see annotated footnotes at the bottom of the B-List from now on.

It will be like a David McCullough biography. 348 pages of story, 198 pages of footnotes.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB