Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe interested in Lidge and Otsuka

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe interested in Lidge and Otsuka

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:48 pm

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/s ... 33,00.html

• Boston, Florida and Cleveland have interest in right-handed closer Akinori Otsuka if Texas becomes convinced Eric Gagne is healthy enough to handle the job.
Purpura, whose loyalty to Lidge stems from when Purpura ran the Astros farm system, should do his team and Lidge a favor and give Lidge a chance to go somewhere else and start over. Lidge is a quality person with a quality arm who deserves better than what is happening in Houston.

Florida, Boston and Cleveland would have interest. The Rockies inquired about him during the winter and would seem a possibility, too. Lidge still lives in the Denver area and has said in the past he would like to pitch for the Rockies at some point.

We were close to getting Otsuka a few weeks back, I am almost certain of it. That has to be what the whole Bear Bay and one or both of Francisco/Choo deal was about.....and why it was a done deal, then the Rangers backed out at the last second (because Gagne went on the DL).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby tribefan333 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:08 am

Would it be a Fransisco or Choo and Bay for Otsuka type deal?

I love both of those OF's, but if it means getting a solid closer who is better than Borowski, I'm all for it. Plus then we'd have a great set-up man, and another solid arm.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:34 am

If that was the deal, there must still be an understanding because otherwise, why would we have sent them Bay for "future considerations". Two things: if we get Otsuka, you really can't hand him the closer's role when Borowski hasn't blown a save yet, an you? If we get Otsuka, who leaves the bullpen? Surely Shapiro won't give up on Hernandez this early. My guess would be Davis leaves, or they send Mastny back to Buffalo. My preference would be to get rid of Davis.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:33 am

The Indians are looking for 8th inning help, not another closer. If that 8th inning guy has closer experience so be it, but if traded for that guy will slot into the 8th inning. Borowski has a firm hold on the closer's job at the moment.

Anyway, I think something is going to get done with Texas for a reliever of some sort. Possibly Otsuka, possible someone else. But, I believe the groundwork is there for a deal. It was a done deal before for whatever we were getting, so something could still be up.
consigliere

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:35 pm

If you acquire Otsuka, and your problem is who to get rid of in that pen - Hernandez, Davis or Mastny, then you really don't have a problem.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:00 pm

Jason Davis needs to go bye bye
captain_wahoo

Unread postby He Gone » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 pm

I disagree, I think Hernandez has to go if we get another guy for the penn.

It has been obvious to me that Hernandez is the weak link in the penn, and that he has the least potential of anyone on the team(since hes 42)
He Gone
O-H-I-O

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Hernandez is effective, just I am not sure the 8th inning may suit him. JD needs to go well before you axe Oldberto.
consigliere

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:44 pm

I have to agree that Otsuka would replace Hernandez. I'd have to guess Hernandez would be waived with an eye on making a trade to someone, even though it's pretty early in the season for those types of maneuvers.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:08 pm

Shapiro will not get rid of a guy he just signed. They think, and rightfully so, that Hernandez's best contribution may come as a mento to pitchers like Cabrerra and Mastny. Davis has had a ton of chances and is the next Jaret Wright, a thrower.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:12 pm

jfiling wrote:I have to agree that Otsuka would replace Hernandez. I'd have to guess Hernandez would be waived with an eye on making a trade to someone, even though it's pretty early in the season for those types of maneuvers.

Otsuka would replace Hernandez's role, but not his roster spot. If the Tribe acquires a reliever, Jason Davis is the one who gets waived, unless of course one of the relievers is included in the trade.
consigliere

Unread postby tribetalk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:20 pm

The way Borowski is pitching right now; I'm not too sure if we need a 2nd closer. He and the rest of the entire bullpen have turned it around in the last 5 games and have something like 11 scoreless innings in a row right now.

I am all for getting Hernandez out of the pen, so you can bring that Otsuka here, that I am all for. But NO to Lidge!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Consigliere wrote:unless of course one of the relievers is included in the trade.

Good point. I'd put the odds at a major-league reliever being included in the trade at 50-50.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:44 pm

No one is calling for a 2nd closer to replace Borowski.

I think the Indians have a definite need for a setup guy though. That is where someone like Otsuka or Lidge could come in. And, hell yes would I take Lidge. If they could get someone like Otsuka/Lidge for 8th inning duty, and use Betnacourt and Hernandez in the 7th inning....and with Mastny and Cabrera.....I really like our pen. My only issue would be the lefty Fultz. Still unsure about him, and I do prefer having two lefties too.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:18 pm

I really like our pen. My only issue would be the lefty Fultz. Still unsure about him, and I do prefer having two lefties too.

I think Fultz will be ok, but I agree and would like another lefty. I am still very hesitant to become comfortable with Borowski as the closer for the whole season. He really seems to hang breaking balls and thats usually not a good thing in close games. I still would like to add someone else if possible.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby paulcousineau » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:18 pm

The addition of an 8th inning pitcher achieves what was supposed to be done when Foulke was signed.

New reliever pitches the 8th and everyone moves down an inning. Betancourt/Cabrera (I hope) take the 7th, like they did in 2005 when Howry had the 8th locked up. Mastny can take the 6th or take on tough RH; while Fultz is only needed as a matchup lefty, not counted on to pitch entire innings.

If Lara was added as the 2nd lefty, does that mean the mentoring process from Oldberto will be over?
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB