Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

If we make the post season....

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

If we make the post season....

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:31 pm

and as a result create more revenue because of attendance, do you think Dolan would be willing to dish out what it will take to keep CC and Pronk? I mean sign them and if money becomes a problem down the road, they can always be traded. What we sign them for now will seem like a bargain in 2 or 3 years. There will always be a market for a top of the rotation lefty.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Still fimrly believe Pronk is going nowhere. Even though they didn't get a deal done now, there is a mutual understanding that both sides want to get a deal done and keep him here.

CC? I have no clue what will happen with him, but I always thought we would keep two of the three at most....so if we keep Hafner, that means CC is bye-bye. I just don't see it, because he is likely going to test the FA waters. Although, the Westbrook extension came completely out of nowhere, so who knows, maybe Sabathia shocks the world and resigns here.

Bottom line, we'll need a hometown discount, and a significant one to keep him.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: If we make the post season....

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:37 pm

captain_wahoo wrote:and as a result create more revenue because of attendance, do you think Dolan would be willing to dish out what it will take to keep CC and Pronk? I mean sign them and if money becomes a problem down the road, they can always be traded. What we sign them for now will seem like a bargain in 2 or 3 years. There will always be a market for a top of the rotation lefty.

I think they'll try to hammer down Pronk but CC could be a different story. The offseason market and CC's performance will determine what he'll get. He's started well enough with 3 wins to open the season and a very low ERA. If he gets involved in any serious Cy Young discussion then his price will skyrocket.

But you never know. CC won't come cheap but he might come cheaper than I think.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:40 pm

If CC has two more healthy and productive seasons he's in line to break salary records with the way the baseball economy is right now.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:52 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:If CC has two more healthy and productive seasons he's in line to break salary records with the way the baseball economy is right now.

That's why it's key to get him before that second season. The greatest lure the Indians have is security. If anything goes wrong before the end of next season then CC could lose a lot of money in free agency. He might give the Indians a discount like Westbrook did, but the Tribe can give him tens of millions in guaranteed money.

The Indians also stepped up and guaranteed him money when he was younger and they didn't need to. While he could have earned big money in arbitration, one bad or injury filled season could have ruined any case he could make for a much higher salary.

The Tribe has shown faith in these guys and tried to give them guaranteed money early. It has benefitted the Tribe by keeping costs under control but it goes both ways. The players don't have to worry about financial security in the future.

I won't get my hopes up because a guy like CC could get well over $100 million in guaranteed money. If he signs an extension then it will be less than he could make, but it would show great loyalty. Here's hoping.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:37 am

The thing is CC won't even be the most sought after free agent in that group. Johann Santanna will be a free agent the same time as CC. Speaking of that, if Torii Hunter walks this winter, which he said he probably wii, and the following year, they lose Santanna and Joe Nathan, Minny will be soooo screwed.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:15 am

Although not left handed, isn't Zambrano a free agent to be after 08 as well?

A couple of things seem to be in the Tribe's favor in re signing Pronk and CC. First, Pronk won't bring huge offers from the NL power spending teams since he can't play a position. That instantly cuts LA, NYM, and Atl from jumping in and raising the price. That leaves the power AL teams and already Boston doesn't seem to be a fit with Big Papi.

As for CC, I just can't see the market continuing to grow, especially enough to where there will be three teams with the resources to spend record money in the same off season on the likes of Santana, Sabathia, and Zambrano.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:14 pm

NEOLeo wrote:Although not left handed, isn't Zambrano a free agent to be after 08 as well?

In all likelihood, Carlos Z will sign an extension with the new owners of the Cubs (from everything I've read).
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Guys, valid points. But have you checked out the baseball economy since the recent agreement? I know you know about the owner. He isn't the only big name, but the baseball economy can handle more than there's going to be. A miracle if they sign CC. A friggin' miracle.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby sandlot33 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Come on guys, if CC hits the free agent market New York will outbid us by $5 million per year or more, if we do not sign him before he hits...HE"S GONE
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby The Math God » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:20 pm

I think the key with Jake was his often cited comfort level in Cleveland. Travis has said the same thing. He feels the Tribe rescued him from Texas.
CC does not seem to have the same kind of loyalty.
It would be great to lock up all 3, but under the current economic system in baseball (the WSJ article was great) it might be better to let him walk and watch NY or somebody pay him 25 million.
This is one of the reasons to have a good stream of pitchers coming out of AAA.
The Math God

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:32 am

[quote="The Math God"]CC does not seem to have the same kind of loyalty.
quote]

Why doesn't he?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB